“Marketing” sure is getting out of hand?!

Even though the experiment may have been small, I personally see about 10-20 of those ads per DAY. Big instagram accounts are putting the same type of “omggg alt tiktok is moving to bytteeeee link in bio babezz” styled fake tweets at the tail end of every. Single. One. Of their meme post bundles.

It’s so invasive that I’ve seen other non-affiliated meme pages making fun of it. I can take screenshots and post em if you’d like, but its very, very invasive the way they’re advertising their own links.

Plus the way they have a shadowed “Ad” in the bottom right corner… Spammy looking IMO, idk

1 Like

Actually one popped up as I was going through my feed just now lol

4 Likes

I’ve also yet to see a photo with a byte ad that didn’t have comments disabled either… so that should also say something

2 Likes

yes please share examples

7 Likes

more like vine less like tiktok and you wont have this problem and happy users :handshake:

maybe i’m not understanding correctly, but didn’t apple ban paying for downloads like 9 years ago? also, here’s a (fairly ignored, imo) post of mine about accessibility issues on your twitter feed and notification system. Accessibility issues on byte's tweets

i- people are happy with the new features, and this isnt vine or tiktok. it’s its own thing it’s byte

5 Likes

Experiments are good. Even if they yield negative results like with the meme instagrammers here, they still yield valuable data for the team on what to do or not to do, so I find it interesting that the team experimented with this at all. I was under the impression y’all weren’t ready for ads yet, so this was a surprise.

That said, I’d be curious to see how putting a quality cap on it, only accepting applications for it, and/or hand selecting specific niche influencers would aid (or not) in advertising Byte downloads instead. No one likes ads of course, but organic advertisement (casually mentioning it in reviews, IG stories, their posts, tweets, merch, etc) goes a long way towards combatting that while still promoting downloads, and is something to consider with micro influencers if and when the time comes for a bigger budget for advertising experiments!

3 Likes

Wow, this is interesting. I wonder if there is maybe an attempt by a few people to promote byte so much that it inadvertently turns people off to it? No proof of that, but “humm?” none the less.

4 Likes

Do you mean people who are all about the hype of byte so much they’re promoting it everywhere, shoving it down people’s throats, and turning then off because of it? I’m sure there are some, but I don’t they are a part of the ad experiment they were running here. If that is happening, it’d likely be unrelated to this specific instance.

4 Likes

Ranting about Byte barely even having ads on Instagram when tik tok literally FLOODED Youtube with ads back then, uhm, that’s very hyporcitical of them c: :hocho:

Alsoo, it’s lame af that every and each one of the Byte app reviews are about it being tiktok’s copycat or an option to tik tok likee-

*cringes *

Byte is Byte shutthefuckup uwu

4 Likes

These are two of the more normal ones that I see a lot more often, the first ones even got some light pixelation from being reposted so many times

3 Likes

But this was just from me scrolling through my explore page for about a half hour. Saw the firsr photo twice and the second one just the once. It has died down the last few days, but for a while there it was like every other post :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I spend a lot of time scrolling through Instagram memes (it’s not like there’s much else to do right now) and I’d say 60-70% of the multi-photo posts I see have a byte ad. Here are some of the most common varieties:

I personally haven’t run into any I can remember with comments disabled, but I also saw that meme posted earlier about how many accounts are advertising for byte.

3 Likes

The same post ^^ def makes byte look spammy and bad imo especially next to hypnosis weight loss or “grow a little plant buddie!!”

1 Like

1 Like

These wouldn’t be as bad if they didn’t put “link in bio” at the end of all of them.

8 Likes

LiNk In BiO :joy_cat::joy_cat::joy_cat::joy_cat:

3 Likes

I still think CPI is a very efficient form of marketing and drives the apps place in the iOS charts. Therefore bringing new users on the app that didn’t even see the ad at all

1 Like