Marjory Stoneman Douglas

What’re your thoughts on the Marjory Stoneman Douglas school shooting today? If you don’t wanna talk about it that’s fine but when stuff like this occur, I personally need to talk about it with someone(s).

2 Likes

I live in florida so its absolutely f****** terrifying. Our second shooting in 2 years…

Congress needs to stop groveling and shining the NRA’s shoes.

2 Likes

What happened? I watch an instagram story of an actress talking about weapons and a kid, but I do not know anything else

I want to know what was going on in that guy’s head; there’s only so much you can understand from that event (which is awful), but understanding from the perspective of the attacker helps to understand what really should be done to prevent this crap from happening again

1 Like

I’m not against sending them prayers and such, but that won’t stop the root of the problem, which is the NRA shoveling money into the pockets of the corrupt politicians in Washington. If letting mentally unstable people buy guns makes the NRA money, they’ll lobby to legalize it and keep it. We need to stop letting these murder machines fall into the hands of people who could use them maliciously. This isn’t a matter of freedom, but a matter of common sense.

1 Like

I actually have two family members who were in attendance at that school! Both of which are okay.

It is a crazy situation and I have so many opinions, most of them unpopular probably so I won’t go into too much detail lmfao

But I don’t necessarily think the problem is guns. While many mass killings have been executed with guns, the problem is this overwhelming desire to harm as many people as possible. That’s what needs to be understood and figured out, I feel.

i agree with @azadei

You take away guns, sure, but what’s stopping the next one from using a car, or an explosive, or a biological agent, or maybe even a plane, or simply a knife, or maybe even poison? (all of which have been used in the past)

If a person really wants to kill, they’re going to find a way. Let’s figure out what all of these mass murderers have in common, let’s figure out signs to look for, let’s set ways to track for these signs, let’s set protocols for when these signs are exhibited.

We’re in the digital age, set up a website showcasing the warning signs to look for. Have a place where people can anonymously report people that exhibit some of those signs. Then, an algorithm can easily be implemented to view their past purchases with key items being triggers, another to track their cellphone gps to see if they have visited suspect places, one to track their social media, one to track their web browsing history, etc If those algorithms, pick anything up, they get a real human to look at the information then take trip to their location. They watch them for a bit from afar, take note of their body location, their interactions, etc. They check the most frequent locations of that person, etc etc etc

I know there are already “triggers” for certain purchases and web searches but that should also be cleaned up and improved

obviously, it’s not that easy but there are things that can be done. The people who knew that guy said if anyone were to shoot up the school, it would be him. Too many times that is heard. Everyone just needs to stop being idle and start acting before the fact.

3 Likes

Don’t turn a tragedy into a political debate. Nothing pisses me off more. Right now, we need to respect the students and families involved in this tragedy. My thoughts and prayers go to them.

There was a moment all about it, https://twitter.com/i/moments/963863619271254016

Yeah, I hear you. No one needs an AR-15. Handguns for defense? Sure. Anything else, I’m failing to see the benefits anymore.

1 Like

Thoughts and prayers don’t prevent mass shootings. Laws do.

1 Like

It’s just ridiculous, just cause that kid may or may not have problems doesn’t mean he has to take it out on innocent people. They have so much to live for, so why take that opportunity away from them? I think Congress needs to take more action on this.

1 Like

I’m going to be real with you, Thoughts and Prayers aren’t going to help my family members with the emotional trauma they just faced lmao. The youngest one has mental delays and he was found by his mother until 7 pm.

4 hours later than normal. No idea if his brother was okay. There is no telling what those 4 hours are going to do to him.

When we called their mom to see if she had her boys when the incident first happened, i’ll tell you first hand, thoughts and prayers were the last thing she wanted. She wanted people to DO something. She wanted both of her boys safe and sound.

Maybe a political debate isn’t what’s wanted but we need to talk about a plan to prevent this from happening again

Thoughts and prayers, didn’t work the last few mass killings, maybe it’s time we try something else?

2 Likes

My thoughts and prayers with the victims is far better than not caring.

Thoughts and prayers are fine but when you’re telling other people not to talk about what should be done in order to prevent this again, that’s when there is an issue

1 Like

This event will obviously bring out the age old discussion: should gun possession be changed in America? Watching it all from outside, I’d say yes since, clearly, this isn’t the last time something like this will happen. About what was going on in that boy’s mind, well, who knows? Listening to his classmates he always acted strangely and was diagnosed with mental illness

Laws don’t stop killing. It doesn’t even help. Drugs are illegal and it doesn’t stop people from doing them, what makes people think making guns illegal or even restricting them will stop it?

Yeah, I agree. Can’t believe we have the right to beat arms, if you ask me I think it should be a privilege. Imagine being a child, we’d have whatever taken away and put into timeout. Guns shouldn’t be a right, it’s rediculous. There was 1 mass shooting in Australia in 96. Laws were put in place & guns were bought back by the government. How many mass shootings since? 0. Police in England dont even carry guns. We see the success of how other countries are doing & their doing pretty good, America is not the greatest and needs to follow other countries’ example.

1 Like

Doesn’t do anything, that’s funny because in England the police don’t even carry gun. There was 1 mass shooting in Australia in 97. Laws were put in place & guns were bought back by the gov. How many mass shootings since? 0. The sad thing is we had a ban on assault weapons. A 10-year ban was passed in 1994 under the Clinton administration and it wasn’t renewed in 2004 under the Bush administration. The AR-15 was one of the banned weapons and now that it’s unbanned it’s being used in all of these attacks. If you’d like to see the results of the ban… https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/339519002#click=https://t.co/BDzu0aOGUl No AR-15’s used in shootings between 1984 and 2007 and then all of a sudden… 12 shootings leaving 220 dead…

1 Like

So yes I’d say laws do stop killing, the statistics as well as seeing what others in this world do, bear me out.

1 Like