Life is passing by

I was just thinking how fast life has been going since I graduated high school almost a year ago.

I checked in on old high school people and they are off living their lives in different cities and exploring the world, while I just stayed in my hometown. I know it’s bad to compare myself to others, but I want to leave where I live so badly. I want more out of my experience so far. I just feel trapped where I am. I want my life to change.

It’ll happen eventually. :slightly_smiling_face: (I hope at least.)

We all have different journeys and stuff so I’ll just keep doing what I’m doing.

11 Likes

Bro same boat. Except for me it’s college a year ago. I live in NEBRASKA. The weeks are flying. And my friends are traveling around Asia eating amazing food constantly. :sob:

Also I live in an apartment, so I choose not scream in my bytes out of embarrassment and courtesy even though I want to so bad.

2 Likes

anything can happen, so I’ll remain positive in the meantime!! :slightly_smiling_face: i hope things get better for you too.

3 Likes

Me too!

I’ve been thinking…

About…

Going to LA… :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Liam come to England :pleading_face:

4 Likes

That’s the pound tea!

1 Like

I know how you feel, bruv. You might need to take a gap year, saving money from a part time job to fund your travels and activities :coffee:.
I’ve personally never went to college and just “followed the wind” since getting out of high school, but idk if I’d reccomend that to anyone :laughing:.

2 Likes

Saying “it gets better” is a really, really handwave answer - but I kinda want to frame that phrase in a way that, as you go on and grow, you’ll realize that a lot of those negative thoughts you’re having is just an illusion from not knowing the full story…and even if there is stuff in life that will bum you out, as you go on you gain skills at processing it.

I don’t think there’s any two post-high school lives that are ever comparable; for example, I came from a very, very large high school and that circumstance made the shift in social life a little easier. Also, I didn’t have social media after graduating, so it was harder to see where everybody’s lives were going.

But at 19, I was trapped in my town and was really alienated and alone after high school. And it’s a rut, and a crappy time in life…like, the feelings that you’re feeling is valid.

I think what helped me get through those times was exploring my creativity and translating all the boredom I was experiencing into art. That, and I started just throwing myself out into the world and joining clubs and different communities (doing stand-up, activism, going to the art gallery, using Meetup.com meetups) as a way to meet people, and build new friendships that I lost in high school.

Of course, with the global quarantine, that’s a little hard to do right now, but when that subsides I think it will help.

2 Likes

I normally defer to this when in that type of headspace

« And when you’re in a Slump,
you’re not in for much fun.
Un-slumping yourself
is not easily done »

Notice it said “not easily” as opposed to not impossible. Everything important or worth doing is worth taking the time to do right. Don’t be in such a hurry to leave that you forgot about where you are. Nor should you stop wanting to push further. But realize that the way things will happen for you isn’t the same for anyone else. Their circumstances don’t reflect negatively on yours.
Like AC said. It gets better is a wave off and dismissive.

“ And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)”

3 Likes