Latest beta update bug

Using iPhone 11 Pro

So today when given the Byte Beta update (titled “videos should load much faster”), it altered a few if not all of my byte’s audio/loops. You can hear an abrupt cut at the end of the video where the music is supposed to loop, which was not there pre-update. It appears some posts in my feed get the abrupt cut as well but I can’t tell if that’s the user’s intention or the glitch.

I have a screen recording that cannot be posted here if anyone needs proof of it.

5 Likes

Yeah, I noticed that on my videos as well. It seems like the videos are loading faster, but the loops are messed up. :frowning:

2 Likes

so far it’s a necessary tradeoff for loading that doesn’t stall, unfortunately. more details here: Upcoming changes to video loading times and looping

let us know if you’re seeing this on videos below 8 seconds

1 Like

So does this mean all work previously posted that was meant to perfectly loop is just permanently stuck with this hiccup? Is there any future plan to push to have good quality loops on longer posts, or just sticking with 8-ish seconds and less as posts that can be perfectly looped? @dom

5 Likes

It’s really hard to know what to say at this juncture. While I understand a lot of hard work and effort goes into the app it is very disheartening to see what feels like disregard for peoples creativity and hard work. First the stretching and cropping, and now this. Looping is one of the things that made the app special, there is an entire channel and multiple accounts centered around this feature.

I think this is an instance of what is good is the enemy of what is best.

14 Likes

Looking over some videos just now and the gap at the end of some bytes is very jarring. It is on par with the awfulness of the Clash app. I’d gladly sacrifice some load time for it to be a smooth loop again because this renders the viewing Experience to be near unwatchable levels.

8 Likes

Yeah the videos that are 8ish seconds and below loop fine. It was just my more recent videos that I recorded that have the hiccup.

I understand the trade off to help the videos load faster, but would it be possible at least to bring up the timelimit for seamless looping videos from 8 seconds to at least 12 seconds (or even longer if you can)?

Also if the hiccup is going to unfortunately have to stay permanent, I think it’s possible for us to play with the audio and work around the hiccup a little to get it to sound smoother, but the preview for the longer videos will need to be adjusted to reflect what we will actually be hearing when the video is posted.

For example, I redownloaded a longer than 8s video that I posted that was having the hiccup on it and I loaded it in the preview screen and it sounded like it was looping perfectly just like it was before the update. There would be no way that I could tell it was going to hiccup like that (the way the preview is set up now) unless I actually posted it.

So if the preview screen doesn’t accurately show us what the longer videos will sound like once it’s posted, we won’t be able to trim the audio to help it sound better.

I (and I’m sure many others) really appreciate all of the hard work that you guys have been putting in the last few weeks on this app. I’m definitely not trying to make things difficult, but we all just love the seamless looping so much and we really want to preserve this aspect of the app as much as we possibly can. :pray:

6 Likes

I think whatever loading lag Problem there may have been what is minuscule compared to the gap that now exists at the end of a video which is, as I stated earlier, jarring.

3 Likes

the loading issues were pretty massive unfortunately. enough that the tradeoff is necessary at longer lengths. still trying to find a solution that satisfies everything but haven’t been able to get one working yet

3 Likes

We could go without longer lengths. 16 seconds is perfect and the loading time isn’t atrocious.
(I appreciate you though dom)

1 Like

that’s including 16 seconds unfortunately. they’re already ~3MB at that length

2 Likes

Such a shame. The best thing about time increases has always been the idea of longer perfect loops. I’d always trade loading times for the loop.

5 Likes

YEP!

3 Likes

Same. Byte is THE ONLY app with perfect loops and as a music account, it’s the reason I decided to invest in this app. Truly. This is a really big bummer that really discourages me from using this app over any other. I know everyone says something about the app is “what makes it special” (i.e. the six-second meltdown), but for me, it’s perfect loops.

I also choose perfect loops over load time.

7 Likes

Almost every single one of my loops have been set up to loop perfectly and they are no longer doing that, which is very unfortunate. I do appreciate the hard work of the team and you can’t please everybody, but if this is the direction that is chosen, it’s kinda the last straw for me with the app.

4 Likes

*was

2 Likes

I don’t think you’re alone.

3 Likes

@onkelchrispy If there was any precedent for the production team to hear our complaints and roll back a disliked update, I’d be hopeful, but I think as melodramatic as it sounds, it’s gonna be it for me here.

Gotta find a way to tape my phone to the ceiling or something for my running on the bed goodbye post…haha.

4 Likes

Yeah personally the app has always worked fine for me. Never had any long load time or anything. This feels like a step backwards. I’m in a state of limbo about what to do or where my place is anymore, but many have expressed sentiments similar to yours. It’s a pity.

8 Likes

I also haven’t experienced bad loading times for the most part and I like creating perfect loops even though it’s super hard. Since I haven’t seen bad loading times I can’t pass judgement on how important it is.
Would it be possible to have a setting in the app? By default it uses the new loading method but you can opt to sacrifice loading time for perfect looping

Good luck Dom.

I also haven’t experienced bad loading times for the

1 Like