Keep It 6.5 Seconds, or Extend It?

A quick question to the Dev team. Is there any talk of increasing video lengths to longer than 6.5 seconds? Sometimes, it can he frustrating having to cut out lines when videos are even 8 or 9 seconds long and cutting it down to 6.5, but that’s obviously because Vine was in the 6.5 format for a few years.

Didn’t they extend video lengths for imported content to longer as well? I forget when, was it 2015? I think I read something like that on the Wikipedia page for Vine. Was that a thing? I wouldn’t know, since I didn’t use Vine (too young and cringy, I was only a high school junior or something, lmao).

What are everyone’s thoughts on extending video lengths? Probably keep content to 6.5 for now until the dev team expands and irons out other kinks first, right? I imagine this is something they might implement down the road like Vine did, I’m wondering if it’s in their thoughts, though. I definitely want to keep the 6.5 format for a while, but I have some banger skits that are of longer lengths that I’ve made on YouTube before.

3 Likes

keep lol, part of what makes the app special and a huge part of what made vine special was the perfect 6.5 second videos and looping. I doubt it’ll change and honestly would prefer it didn’t. There are other apps for longer videos, but byte is for itself and those who loved vine! :vine::green_heart:

(and yea, they did extend it at one point but to no avail as Instagram’s short video market was already doing well, as well as the extended length took away from vine’s functional purpose :(( )

19 Likes

Yeah, I agree it’s should be kept the way it is too

2 Likes

I agree, the nostalgia of the 6 seconds is what’s been drawing back a large amount of the initial fanbase. It’s what condenses humor and promotes creativity, the age-old idea of ‘How can I fit a punchline into 6 seconds?’

But on another hand…do you think extending the length would be better in some way for a larger audience? Genuinely curious, because I’m not so sure myself. I guess making the videos longer is what made Vine just an Instagram clone, but isn’t that also what TikTok essentially is? A video-sharing platform with a community? I guess my question is, what is it about the apps that set them apart? Is it the community? Or is it the feature itself? Maybe it’s a mix of both!

4 Likes

I really like the 6.5 second limit. Limitations are excellent for creativity. Also, you always know that something is 6s or less and encourages users to go though the whole loop. Create content with 6s in mind and you’ll succeed :blush:

5 Likes

Keep it at 6.5 seconds, I think it draws the creativeness out of creators and forces them to find angles to ideas that feel flowy and concise rather than choppy. Shortly after Vine’s demise a lot of Viners took their talents to IG and made their skits 10 to 15 seconds long or even longer, but they never made better use of that extra time. They just felt like bloated vines where the set up is way too long and the idea of the skit was muddled, or the punchline lasted 10 seconds.

3 Likes

Keep

1 Like

I believe they should have a category for 6, and 12 seconds. I’ve had to scrap a few video ideas because I couldn’t squeeze them into 6 seconds. I believe that the 12 seconds category will allow more people to have videos more like story time, magic tricks that take more time etc

2 Likes

I think that part of why 6.5 seconds should stay the limit is that it creates a different kind of comedy. I don’t think that Byte is meant for longer skits/jokes/videos/etc. When you have a continuously looping short video, in my opinion it makes it so much funnier. Once you start laughing, you don’t even get a second to breathe before you start laughing even harder! And there’s something about hearing certain jokes or skits repeat so quickly that is so funny.

2 Likes

Functionally, I don’t know how that would be successful at what I think you’re trying to get at. I do understand what you’re think, I think! But this would just basically open up the possibility for people to make a video anywhere between 2 seconds and 12 seconds. What if a video is 9 seconds? Do you categorize it with the 6 or 12 second videos? I think it could be doable but again, functionally, I’m not sure. Lot’s to think about.

1 Like

Haha sorry for the bad explanation but I’d say anything 6.5+ would go in the 12 second category. I read somewhere that they keep it 6 seconds to not interfere with fair use laws or something like that.

2 Likes

The team didn’t look at this and go ‘ok how long do we need to make jokes’ they said ‘this is how long you have to make jokes’, that’s how it is, and how it always will be

8 Likes

Be great if byte was a bit longer so be able to get even more video in 12 secs would be good

2 Likes

It is frustrating once you’ve gotten used to creating longer formed content. But, I get why they do it :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I’m mean to answer your question ask yourself this do we need yet another longer vid platform? We have Snapchat, TikTok and Instagram and YouTube (although rare) can be used for this purpose too. The way I see it as well is it takes tallent as well to be able to entertain an audience when your spotlight is only 6 seconds long. My answer will always be no we don’t need more time because we loose part of the effect. Plus there are a few unique features coming that I can’t wait to see how their gonna change the aspect of how we use byte!

1 Like

I agree like especially since people can be impatient! I’m guilty of this the other day I spent a total of 3 minutes on TikTok before getting bored lol. Like I know it’s just 15 seconds but it’s more then twice the wait to get the puchline and it’s even worse when you wait and it wasn’t even funny :persevere:

4 Likes

I like trying to make something cool within the limits but I could see something like allowing a “daily double” where the limit is 12 seconds but only once a day or a week.

Or perhaps looping 6 seconds by default and having more time when you tap the byte?

1 Like

Change is inevitable… period. As much as people don’t like it lol. You’ll see. Once upon a time you couldn’t upload to vine to keep it “creative” Buttttt there was a third party app for that & boom they did it natively… for example even with facebook & the dislike button, you never got one but you got something close… reactions. History speaks for itself this shouldn’t even be debated anymore :sleeping:…pretty sure ppl thought vine “would always be 6 seconds too”.

I would have to agree with the 6.5 second limit. You read how they developed the six seconds and a lot of effort went in to them settling on that as the perfect time. There is plenty of other platforms that exist with longer and Byte isn’t trying to be them. 6 second loops is what cements it as unique.

3 Likes

It would be nice to have a 12 second option but I still enjoy the 6.5. It makes it a bit difficult sometimes but seems to work well for the viewers!

1 Like