Is byte just about funny videos?

Hi all.

While browsing the sections I noticed that the food section has a lower interest than the others. Hope byte isn’t just about funny videos, or is it? :thinking:

7 Likes

are you in need of food bytes :eyes:

3 Likes

People flocked over to byte thinking it was either vine or not tiktok. People are going to come for entertainemnt regardless of the platform

6 Likes

“Just makin’ spaGHEtti”

3 Likes

Funny is definitely the most popular because that’s often what vine is associated with. But there’s growing communities of singers, musicians, digital and physical artists, travelers, even cute pet video sharers on the app too. They’ll always be an important part of byte. I suspect many will find great success as the app continues to grow and their contributions become more noticed.

14 Likes

Probably yes, there is little interest for art/animation, my main category, like on similar platforms

2 Likes

Style is also a dead category but I’m open to all options, I’ll say that comedy, anime, and more are the most popular category

2 Likes

also :point_right: https://byte.co/b/BnBLdqyMdt4

1 Like

Entertaining :ok_hand:t2:

1 Like

Half the stuff I see on the animation tab isn’t even animation. Same with gaming, which makes me sad because I’m an animator/animation AND a gamer. :cry:

2 Likes

I think there’s potential to make it more than that. I’ve been trying to make more educational videos in between my fitness posts. Just not sure if there’s an audience for it yet.

3 Likes

It’s a little hard since it’s just 6 seconds, but there’s a big music scene on Byte already! Even a ton of music collabs, which surprised me.

I’m also a big fan of the pet videos. .___.

3 Likes

I’d say comedy is probably the most popular category, but there’s definitely more to Byte than just comedy. Music is a pretty poppin’ category, and that’s what most of my content is so :man_shrugging:.

3 Likes

I agree! It’s all edits of anime films. I’m very sad that it’s so difficult to find more animators and stop motion enthusiasts.

3 Likes

There is a lot of art and music and scenery and DIY. Me personally I try to avoid food because it makes me hungry :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

I think someone made a byte story or makes a series of byte stories

1 Like

No, it is not. I posted some drone / traveling videos and even @dom likes those videos. Also I posted some breaking news moments on byte what i experienced. That was unforgettable.

1 Like

Some formats fit better with others. After Vine’s demise a lot of skit creators moved onto Instagram or Facebook. For the most part it was not a good transition. There would be one minute long skits that could have easily been done in 6 seconds. I used to see a lot of these skits around 2016 and 2017, then they stopped. On IGTV and Snapchat I even saw attempts of making mini sitcoms where each episode was around 3 to 5 minutes long. I can’t say for sure if these took off, but I haven’t seen as many of them anymore. Some people even questioned the move of IG to introduce IGTV. Though it’s really found its footing lately with mini documentaries.

It’s like in entertainment when people say about movies, “this should have been a TV series.” This is not to say that other types of content can’t fit within the 6 seconds constraint, it’s just that these short skits fits with them PERFECTLY, so it’s natural we’d see a flood of them.

3 Likes

I think its a matter of time as well. This app has been public for only a short while. I made a request for a forum section for the cooking/food category specifically because i realized that it would be low content on the app itself til things picked up in the coming month’s.

2 Likes

I’d say have patience. Byte feels to me like it’s going to be a mix between vine (the heaviest influence right now, most people who came to it were looking for that vine feel) and amino. Why do I think this? Because the categories, plus some features that are going to be added later, make it very possible for community bubbles to become a norm.

The app just needs time to grow, get better through the added features, and get more popular through word of mouth and better content creators getting shown by the algorithm. Keep posting food, ask for the category, and I’m sure food content will have a place just like it does on instagram

5 Likes