Interest in app for mental health?

Follow us on Twitter
https://twitter.com/getfulcra

Will follow back! :smiley:

Beta Test Signup: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdhr6d3fiuQa_KsLOMt1vwpR7jwuUJSqCfFKEzF_73WMW72IQ/viewform

We’re not too far from having a beta version of the app available soon. I’d like to go ahead and try and build up a small community of people willing to test our app in an effort to go full-throttle when we are able to launch to the public.

Beta testing is a crucial step in this process. In order to have an impact, I’d like to get this right. Your help will not go unacknowledged :smiley:

=============

Hi everyone,

Don’t exactly know why I’m asking here, but I feel there’s a lot of enthusiastic/passionate people on the v2 forums :slight_smile:

Gonna try and keep this short, but anyways, I had this idea ever since I went on youtube and saw someone’s ‘goodbye’ video in my feed. I’ve always thought that mental health is still very underrepresented, app I wanted to (have been) work(ing) on a little ‘anonymous’ social network app that attempts to connect people with mental health issues together.

From what I’ve seen, people reveal who they really are at best when they feel anonymous. My idea consists of having different categories present, and each category would have moderators. Users would be able to follow categories that mean the most to them (similar to reddit). Content from those categories would be presented to them as their feed. I also would like to have a feature that gives users immediate access to certain resources if they need help asap.

While mental health in it of itself is a big issue I want to be able to take on, I’d also like to pivot attention to humanitarian issues in general, meaning lgbt+ communities, etc. would be welcome.

I know I haven’t provided a lot of details, but I’m welcoming all input :slight_smile:

I’m personally funding this myself. I’ve been working on it. My real question is if it’s something you could see being used by people, or even if it’s something you could see yourself using.

13 Likes

That is a really, really good idea.

6 Likes

That’s a great idea, but I believe there’s already an app that’s basically the same thing. I’m just letting ya know, cause if you continue with this app, you could get sued for ‘copying’ their app. I really need to think of the apps name.

3 Likes

Thank you for your input, let me know what the app is if you get the chance, I’d like to take a look at it :slight_smile:

Also, I’m not too concerned about any legal issues mainly because multiple people can execute the same idea, similar to how there are different car companies/brands. To the naked eye, a Honda minivan and a Toyota minivan are basically the same thing, it boils down to preference :).

There are some original concepts that I’d like to introduce, however.

At the end of the day, it’s just another resource people could turn to. :+1:

2 Likes

@motocross @mulch I think the name of the app is called Talk Life? I think that could be the one you were talking about. But the app in itself is a very good idea!

3 Likes

Thank you for that :slight_smile:

I took a look at that app (never heard of it before) and the UI looks very nice. Some of the things I’d like to achieve don’t seem very apparent in that app. I’m getting some Twitter vibes based on what some people have been posting, but regardless, it does it’s job and I actually like it :slight_smile:

I might actually use this thread to document progress whilst gather input from users here. I’ll post a screenshot or short video today/tomorrow of what the app currently looks like (nothing too sophisticated) :wink:

3 Likes

As of now, that’s what the app looks like. I might’ve overstyled it a bit; will probably remove some of the excess shadow and stuff. Generally speaking, it would look something like this :slight_smile:

It’s actually website that’s being highly optimized for mobile, that way you can use the platform on your computer or on your phone. The app does have a couple features that the actual website doesn’t have though :wink:

2 Likes

its lookin good!

2 Likes

Not a major update, but the hardest part of all of this is coming up with a name that actually means something. I think I’ve finally been able to situate on a name that (I believe) is appropriate: fulcra

It’s plural for fulcrum:

a thing that plays a central or essential role in an activity, event, or situation.

Think about it, if you manage to save someone’s life, you’re probably gonna be the central figure to them in that situation. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had no intention to bump this thread, but I did manage to get a lot done in the past 8 hours or so.

We’re not too far from having a beta version of the app available soon. I’d like to go ahead and try and build up a small community of people willing to test our app in an effort to go full-throttle when we are able to launch to the public.

Beta testing is a crucial step in this process. In order to have an impact, I’d like to get this right. Your help will not go unacknowledged :smiley:

Sign up for beta testing: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdhr6d3fiuQa_KsLOMt1vwpR7jwuUJSqCfFKEzF_73WMW72IQ/viewform

2 Likes

Nice! The layout looks great! I actually have a question though, about the community.

Do you think this’ll become a pessimistic, edgy, toxic, and kinda exclusive environment? (i.e. Tumblr?) Mental health has become a bit weird to discuss nowadays without seeming offensive, but it is SUPER important to genuinely express yourself. I was just wondering what you’re kinda hoping it to be like.(sorry if i sound pushy)

1 Like

Thank you! And that’s a good question, glad you asked.

I want the community to be peaceful, encouraging, and understanding (this forum is a lot like that). But like you said, toxicity can be a pretty big problem if we don’t address it appropriately.

For that reason, I’d like to implement filters that auto-delete hate/troll comments, i.e. “go kill yourself”. Yet, this doesn’t exactly mean that the system can solve toxicity on its own, which is why I’d like to have moderators assigned to each category. What moderators would do, is read through the threads posted in their category, delete any hate comments, and/or comment something helpful.

Perhaps at a later time, we could experiment with machine-learning and build a system that can learn the different types of hate comments. But that’s assuming the app will be used

tl;dr: Will there be hate comments? Likely. Will we be doing anything to stop it? Absolutely.

1 Like

Hi everyone,

Nothing major, but we’d like to use Twitter to announce information/updates rather than some livechat app we were originally going to use. Twitter will allow us to continue having (public) productive discussions with everyone, share ideas, concepts, etc.

You’re welcome to follow us, we’ll be sure follow back :blush:

https://twitter.com/getfulcra

This is great!

2 Likes

We’re still here :slight_smile:

The fundamentals are done, but we’re now performing a redesign for both mobile + web (just to make things look nicer)

We have a lot of ideas that we want to be able to implement at some point during beta.

Beta signups are still open. Volunteer moderation applications will open shortly. Let me know if you have questions :smiley:

Feel free to follow us on Twitter for faster updates :call_me_hand: https://twitter.com/getfulcra

Still here! Apologies for lack of transparency/updates and no beta test :frowning: . However, on the bright side, we have made quite a bit of progress, but we also have a few things that are holding us back, so I’d like to hear from you :slight_smile:

First things first: We’ve made a ton of design changes and we’re still working on improving the design even further. As of today, this is what the platform looks like:
image1%20(1)

On top of that we’ve also been working on the following:

• Multi-language support
  • Implementing AI Algorithms
  • Better registration system
  • Increased post interaction abilities
  • Better moderation system
  • Anonymity has become optional
  • and so much more…

Despite the progress we’ve made on the app itself, we’re divided on how we should move forward.

Personally, I want the platform to focus on all aspects of mental health while branding the app as a ‘microblogging platform’, yet the other developers aren’t really up to par with that idea and insist on focusing on one specific aspect of mental health (i.e. anxiety) and attempt to grow from there.

The way-to-go is to be transparent about these types of things. Personally I think that this creates seclusion and would reduce versatility. Hearing some of your guys’ thoughts would be helpful :slight_smile: . Also what are some things that you’d like to see?

Thank you

1 Like

I definitely think a broader scope would help the app more, and the layout looks pretty good. I feel like the shadows make the app feel kinda small though, if you know what I mean.

1 Like

Yeah I agree, we can change up the sizing a bit.

And yeah, I felt the same way about having a broader scope of categories available as it enabled a variety of discussion. Thank you for your suggestions :slight_smile:

1 Like