If y’all are on StoryFire, I recommend you boycott it

Yo I’m boycotting StoryFire and because this is transphobic. Like wtf. How could you be so insensitive. Trans men and woman have struggled so much and need to be recognized and ya know, not portrayed like this. BTW the creator of StoryFire made this

3 Likes

Wtf. Never heard of StoryFire until now but that’s insanely transphobic. Hope they take that down.

3 Likes

The creator of StoryFire posted this

This is f**king garbo. I never heard of this app but it needs to cancel whoever the eff thinks it’s funny to bully/discriminate in ANY way; especially those of us in the LGBT community.
You’re a saint for this call out. Live long, @RodinBoi :beers:

5 Likes

What the hell. Yeah down with StoryFire.

3 Likes

Well… no, it’s just tippy

This is the smallest of stakes, but something that makes me cranky is how will throw a hissy-fit over grammatical confusion of stuff like “they/them” as a singular pronoun but then will use intentionally obtuse, out-of-data grammar like “a transgender” - using a person’s identity as a noun.

But it’s also…they suck, so I probably should just end the conversation at that.

1 Like

I’m assuming “Tippy” is the guy in the wig. I say guy because from what I can see he isn’t trans. He has a right to wear wigs and do those fake girl voice videos or whatever. But he isn’t trans and mocking that entire group is fucked up.

1 Like

Yeah complaining about pronouns is just being transphobic without saying you are. Like I had a friend I knew since elementary school transition in college and it took me a while to adjust to automatically getting the right pronouns because it was just so drilled into my brain the other way. But he understood when I fucked up that I was trying and now I never get his pronouns wrong. It’s so easy to respect people’s identity.

1 Like

My best friend transitioned recently and although I love them deeply, I still slip up now and then just because it’s such a paradigm shift. They explained it as being like when we switched from credit card swipes to the chip thing - we “know” everything takes chips nowadays but then our brains are so used to swiping.

In college, I had a boss (kinda? well, they didn’t pay any money) who was NB and they explained the “singular they/them” as a thing that has always been in our culture but we don’t really think about it - their example was “I broke into a stranger’s house and stole their football.”

That’s how I always think of that. And it’s “confusing” but like…if you work with three people named “John” - usually we naturally figure out how to talk in those situations in ways that differentiates between the two. They/them is the same way.

2 Likes

I like that credit card analogy. And yeah we do use they/them a lot but we’re used to changing it to a gendered pronoun when we see someone or learn their gender so it can definitely be an adjustment, but it’s an easy one to make to make people feel comfortable. I know some people like to point at a few crazy instances of trans people freaking out at a cashier for getting the wrong pronouns, etc. but I have never met a trans person in real life who would remotely behave that way and every single one I have met just wants people to put in effort.

2 Likes

and, also in terms of freaking out…if you’re a person who is going through a massive identity change and constantly swimming upstream against how the culture is structured. I kinda give people a pass for being a little on-edge.

At least in terms of my friend currently transitioning, they’re very cranky right now (never to me, thank god, mostly at twitter and…uh…[reads the last text] Arthur the Aardvark?) and the way I look at it, they need that space to get all this excess energy and confusion and uncertainty out.

2 Likes

Yeah I totally agree. It just sucks that transphobic people use those instances to paint those people and the entire community as crazy when you’re right that they have the right to be on edge sometimes. Can’t imagine how hard it is to go through all of that and sometimes I bet it just all bubbles up and I don’t blame them tbh.

2 Likes

can’t explain how badly i hope this storyfire thing burns to the ground

4 Likes

Actual trash. People really out here in beyoncé’s 2020 still being homophobic/transphobic/any discriminatory term? Couldn’t be me.

1 Like