If Something Is Legal Does it matter if its immoral or unethical?

If Something Is Legal Does it matter if its immoral or unethical?

2 Likes

It definitely can be, but it depends on what your morals are. So, for instance, if murder suddenly became legal wherever you are, there would still be many debates and objections to doing it.

9 Likes

Yes. It matters.

2 Likes

Check out authors such Aldous Huxley/Orwell…

laws are simply means for the state to enforce its ideal vision of society — who is to say that the state should set the standard of morality?

7 Likes

yeee

3 Likes

I think it still matter bc whatever happens, someone is still up to follow his moral instincts (like knowing what’s right and wrong, having conscience, etc)

5 Likes

1 Like

Of course, it matters. If all of humanity’s morals were based solely on what their particular government allows or disallows, we would be effectively controlled by our governments. As @arf mentioned, murder could suddenly become legal everywhere, but would everyone start murdering each other? I’m absolutely certain that our entire world isn’t just holding back an innate desire to murder everyone only because their government says “don’t do it or you’ll be punished.”

Time for a (potentially) unpopular opinion, but I think the relationship (or lack thereof) between legality and morality is incredibly important to be aware of in current issues, especially those such as, for example, abortion. I’m personally convicted that human life begins at the moment of conception, not at the moment of birth. Abortion is (in my opinion, unfortunately) legal in many of the United States (including my home state), but that doesn’t mean I think it’s morally acceptable. Of course, that’s my opinion and other people are welcome to disagree with it, but I see no prudence in saying “Well, it’s legal, so it’s okay.”

I know it was a long post and I’m definitely not trying to turn this thread into an abortion discussion. I was just trying to give a personal example. Hopefully, that’s clear to everyone.

2 Likes

It definitely matters. There are plenty of things in this world that are immoral that are legal, and in some places there are things that are morally fine that are illegal. Doesn’t make anything less right or wrong, it’s just how the different societies in this world evolved.

2 Likes

yes…

2 Likes

is there something you need to tell us?

2 Likes

this question has made me super worried… did you murder your sibling? or punch trump in the face…? good job for trump but not the siblings.

but yes. it dies matter

2 Likes

Morals and Ethics matter more than law
Law can be changed to suit certain people
Morality and Ethics are standard.

2 Likes

Definitely see where you’re coming from. Makes me think of the movie purge. Dont know if people would be cool if you murdered their family during a purge and then you see that same dude at work the next day

1 Like

After watching that movie about how mcdonalds was founded I sometimes question that

I definitely see Geroge Orwell’s 1984 coming to life in today’s times. Many of these websites have become so PC it can be frustrating at times. Havent Really delved into aldous huxley.

:+1:t3: 8 char

I agree with this to an extent and see where you’re coming from, but it seems like moral and ethics is thrown out a lot when you these movies about how major companies were founded.

1 Like

:thinking: Reading this response really got me thinking. Never thought of it this way

I respect your opinion on this

1 Like