I feel that there should be more... Actual MEMES on the platform

I know this platform is only 4 months old and is pretty new, but I’m honestly kinda disappointed. I expected the app to be filled with the type of memes that everyone loved Vine for in 2016. But (I’m not trying to be mean to the people who make skit vids, I’m just saying that most people don’t like that kind of content) instead, the most popular content on it right now is the skit humour that everyone outside of Vine hated it for in 2013. I’m not saying that skit humour can’t be funny whatsoever, but in most cases it just… Isn’t.

The types of Vine memes from 2016 I’m talking about are ones from compilations like these:

If we start making memes like this again (creating new ones with the same vibe, not just copying off of Damn Daniel or Deez Nuts a thousand times over), then the platform will attract much more people, and it will actually have a niche to fill other than “nostalgia”. The platform is already great in terms of privacy, the fact that it’s an independent project that isn’t owned by some large tech company (I’m looking at you, Twitter), and already emulates every main feature of Vine. It just needs some work in terms of Content. Maybe a “memes” section would give people the idea of what kind of content to put there? Idk, but the type of memes that you would see compilations built upon are the ones that made everyone love Vine (aside from the “GET FREE WIFI ANYWHERE YOU GO” scams, but those were everywhere at the time), and those same memes would make me love Byte 100%.

16 Likes

Yeah I know right? Like maybe an actually meme category even? I mean there is internet but that’s to vague.

9 Likes

I feel like maybe they should rename the internet category memes. I don’t ever go there and I probably would if I knew what I would get if I clicked on it. “Internet” just brings up mental images of scrolling on the forums or twitter. Memes make me laugh.

8 Likes

Yeah, the Internet category seems useless at the moment. Right now it’s just filled with TikTok reposts and other random stuff that can’t really be categorized.

5 Likes

Darn, I just posted on there :sweat_smile:. However, I’m in favour of changing “internet” to “memes” :raising_hand_man:

9 Likes

Yeah! And proof that the Vine-type memes are still popular is that memes like Yankee With No Brim and that kid saying “Labrawn Jamez” are still wildly popular on Instagram, Reddit, TikTok and pretty much every other platform. If there was a section for this, then this platform would probably have a much larger following.

5 Likes

See, that is ACCURATE internet content. But it’s so niche that it ends up killing the category. That would totally work in memes too!

Excellent by the way! :wink::vulcan_salute:t3::yellow_heart:

4 Likes

Thank you!

3 Likes

I get what you mean honestly. More random vids would be nice.

8 Likes

I totally feel like floaties were made for memes. We are just missing the category!

Also, I am really beginning to HATE my iPhone 8. I can’t do floaties at all and the text doesn’t work as intended. :cry:

7 Likes

My opinion: They exist but but people aren’t making their own variation of them so they don’t blow up :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

If you live in America (or the currency exchange on your country treats you well), the new version of this the iPhone SE is a pretty good upgrade from the 8 and only costs $400USD. The thing’s more powerful than every Android flagship out there cause it’s got the A13 processor packed into it, AND has an upgraded camera. Just wish it wasn’t $600CAN for the base model here in Canada though :confused:

5 Likes

I’ve been avoiding riffing on existing memes out of fear of being unoriginal. Maybe others feel that way too. I think as long as you’re transformative with a concept it can be good.

11 Likes

Lol, omg why do you sound like me… :sweat_smile:

You haven’t been looking at the right accounts? Not everyone does skits :face_with_raised_eyebrow: many have a different niche and comfortable with it.

1 Like

Exactly. What I’m saying is that we shouldn’t be copying off of these memes, I’m just saying that we should make more memes in this “quick setup, quick delivery of punchline“ format, like that RUN beach umbrella meme, life gives you lemons, yankee with no brim, labrawn jamez, etc.

3 Likes

It’s kinda hard to find the right accounts tho. There should be an “explore” page where popular content and content that’s just been posted appears to boost the popularity of new users.

3 Likes

Uh, Latest…? Then, we have Spotlight great at filtering out contents…

6 Likes

Something like Instagram’s explore page, except less exploitable and without the awful algorithm.

1 Like

I feel like some skits are super memorable?
Like “I’m Jared, 19” is iconic.

9 Likes

Yeah, there are a ton of comedy skits that could become their own memes. I think having a meme category is kind of a buffer for those that fear ripping something off. That’s how memes become memes after all.

4 Likes