😬 I don't have a good feeling about this

I just saw this exchange with Dom and two former Viners on Twitter:

57%20AM

https://twitter.com/dhof/status/955627404210434049

It seems like they are looking to be paid by someone to keep creating their comedy videos, and it looks like Dom may have taken the bait. If so, this does not bode well for V2, in my opinion. Why? Because a bunch of Viners tried to do the same thing with Vine, demanding to be paid a large amount of money each year to continue making 6-second videos. This article explains what happened:

https://mic.com/articles/157977/inside-the-secret-meeting-that-changed-the-fate-of-vine-forever#.gsXgXo0jZ

I know that this is how social media now works, especially YouTube, where those who attract large audiences get gifts, equipment, access to recording studios, and other privileges that no one else gets. I don’t really understand it, but I don’t have a good feeling about the fate of V2 if Dom decides to go down this same path. It was one of the reasons Vine eventually shut down, and why near the end you saw the same people all over Vine. Eventually it got boring and monotonous.

Please, @Dom, don’t let these people hold V2 hostage just because they think they deserve to be paid for using your application and platform to build an audience.

EDIT: Dom responded below (thanks Dom):

https://community.byte.co/t/i-dont-have-a-good-feeling-about-this-former-popular-viners-demanding-to-be-paid/10163/39?u=tomwho

15 Likes

Who is Ploy?

1 Like

I don’t care. I trust Dom.

1 Like

This is a concern. However, Page Kennedy was wrong in saying Dom was involved with Vine when it started to get big; therefore, it is wrong to assume that Dom had anything to do with Vine and the decisions made to compensate artists.

Correct me if I’m wrong. Also, V2 is still being developed, so there’s plenty of potential

5 Likes

Yes, Dom was already gone shortly after Twitter bought it and had nothing to do with how Vine was managed. But his reply seems to indicate that he may be open to bending to their demands to be paid on V2. I hope he will see this and clarify.

4 Likes

This is a brand new app, if an old “v**ner” or youtuber wants to use it they should start from zero like anyone else(they’ll just grow exponentially). If anything they all started using vine for fun too. There is no way they should start getting paid off the bat even with their big audiences. After all in order to monetize content it takes a while to apply on any app(heck you start with google ad-sense which is the simplest form of monetization). Maybe later on when the app can produce some concrete cash. It’s understandable when “v*ne” was alive that they wanted money after a while but I’ll reiterate the fact that this is a new app. Don’t let them try to get money from the devs before the app can even sustain itself.

5 Likes

i dont know but i thing v2 will be successful and i do trust dom soo

1 Like

I care because I — and I think quite a few other former Viners — don’t want this to simply be another version of Vine. It needs to be similar, but something different, especially in how it is managed. Otherwise, V2 will be flooded with the same top Viners who will immediately dominate the platform from the start.

EDIT: Oops, sorry, this was meant as a reply to @ItsMeJoseGChacin.

7 Likes

I’m certain Dom is going to consider what the former Viners will say and incorporate some good points into V2; as for the “flood for fame”, it is going to hurt newcomers on these forums, as well as the intended audiences that Dom had in mind. I agree that Dom should be careful and let us know what’s up

3 Likes

I know, I saw that thread too and I was a bit shocked… Dom has repeatedly been saying that v2 is his own project and he wants to keep it that way but if he submits to the wants of old viners like that, it might not go so well.

2 Likes

@dom If you are actually considering paying older viners, don’t. Along with everyone else here I have faith that v2 can grow on it’s own without the help of Page Kennedy out of all people

3 Likes

The whole tweet I think was about Dom paying them to be on their platform. If they want money or being paid to be on an app them they shouldn’t.
How about keeping your feet on the ground? And being happy just from bringing joy to his fans?
Anyway his famous… he’ll have his fandom there in a minute and get paid as well.

1 Like

And it will. Musical.ly didn’t need them, they created their own Artists.

2 Likes

He’s not going to pay them rn, obviously (maybe not until year as my best guess). Also, Page Kennedy does make some good points; his manner of approaching them may have made him look needy, but he’s just like other artists/creators that need to pay rent and such :confused:

1 Like

Same time though if you were in the top 5 black male viners in the world then you’re most likely going to have businesses get in touch with you and a large following on social media. A large following can mean alot of views/likes on vids/photos meaning money (youtube/insta). Danny should be grateful and Page should not throw shade at the new, upcoming BETTER version of vine.

2 Likes

True but Page really shouldn’t be demanding pay already when there’s no evidence that he’ll still make good content and that he really deserves to be paid even if it’s in the future.

1 Like

Yeah so many apps have grown from the ground up. v2 has already got a foot down thanks to Vine

1 Like

Anyway… Get THAT promo @ dom

2 Likes

He’ll just have to wait like the rest of us, I guess

2 Likes

More evidence that these top Viners think they deserve to be paid for creating content. Here’s part of the discussion I’m having with Danny LoPriore on Twitter right now:

Ridiculous.

1 Like