How will V2 be monetized?

Not that we are focused on that, but it definitely will shape the app into what it is and change the way people behave on it. Any thoughts?

1 Like

My thoughts are it won’t be at first. Not until accounts get established and sponsors wanna throw money at it.

1 Like

I think they’re going to put ads

2 Likes

Advertising is a good way to get an idea/brand out there :ok_hand:

I think the question moreso would be how the ads would be implimented into the app. Will there be a discover page like Instagram with promoted ads? Will the companies have their own accounts and post loops by themselves? how will the ad’s be delivered to the user?

1 Like

My guess is there would be a banner ad under your video, or a 6-second ad will play before the video plays. Well, anything could happen.

1 Like

I really doubt that. The worst thing you can do if you want an audience to stay is to force them to watch an ad that is the same length as the content itself. Unless you meant once every hundred vines or so you watch one. Who knows.

1 Like

Probably mini ads underneath videos. I don’t think they would put ads before other videos though, because considering their length it wouldn’t really be worth it

1 Like

My ideas for monetization were:

1. Do it like how instagram does it. Advertisements between a certain number of posts. I hear a lot of people complaining about this but honestly, it isn’t difficult to swipe past one post. The creators won’t earn money off of the videos, however they will do what thousands of instagram models do - brand deals.

2. Advertisements set by creators through v2. What this means is, v2 will have a variety of companies ready to advertise on their platform. Verified artists will sign up for monetization. Once they pass the sign-up stage, their profile will be put into some kind of digital list. From the list, advertisers can choose which artist’s page they want their advertisements to feature on. Doing this will prevent an adpocalypse since advertisers are choosing who they want to put their ads on. The company will also be able to decide how much money they’d like to give the creator for each click/view of the ad. Once an artist is chosen by a certain company, they will be able to accept or decline the offer based the amount of money the ad will give the creator. If they accept, their name will be taken off of the digital list, and that companies ads will start appearing between that user’s videos on their profile. If the user/creator declines the offer, their name will be put back into the digital list, where another company can choose them.

Pros of the second idea:

Impossible for an adpocalypse to happen. Advertisers will be able to view the creator’s content before they choose them. And other companies won’t pull out since their ads aren’t being displayed on that creator’s profile (if they do anything adpocalypse-worthy).

Reduces spam accounts. Since you’d need to be verified, spam accounts won’t be making any money whatsoever.

More money for bigger, more hard-working creators. If people like it or not, the big creators are the most important. They are used as a trademark for the app. Using the second idea, big creators will always be able to have ads on their profile (limited ads). If you could get monetization straight away, then a bunch of spam accounts with 5 followers will be making 5 cents a year, and the bigger creators will be making like $50 (because of the limited ads), whereas the big creators could be making thousands of dollars. Long story short, if big creators see that they aren’t getting monetized due to the limited ads, and they see that spam accounts have ads on them, they will move over to another platform that can pretty much guarantee them constant ads, like youtube.

1 Like

I hope the 6 second ad won’t happen!

2 Likes

I really hope, they will be a thing like instagram, where people promote their stuff, it’s good because if the ad is bad, you can skip it quickly !

2 Likes

Tbh, it absolutely shouldn’t be ads. Ads are terrible for promoting great content, because they only allow PC videos to spread. We should probably be able to give to artists ourselves.

1 Like

Almost like how people send in money on twitch, i guess?

Yeah I think so. The less influence from corporate advertisers, the better.

1 Like

A possible addition, just to make it easier for both the advertisers and the dev team, would be to do it in categories. When you get verified and eligible for ads, you get categorized based on your content, or get like an ‘Ad-Friendly’ score between 1-10 (or something), and a brief synopsis of why your account has been categorized that way. This might be more work for the dev team, but depending on the advertisers and how much time they want to spend vetting artist, they might not want to do it on an individual by individual basis. So, if the team make lists compiling the age demographic of audience, gender demographic, how much swearing/type of humor the artist has, they would be able to have advertisers come to them and say 'Hey I want to advertise this to teenage girls, and bang its done. Similarly, advertisers who don’t want their brand affiliated with foul language or dark humor wouldn’t have to worry.

1 Like

Only minor issue with that is that many people won’t pay, there will be donators, but with Twitch you have long periods of play, with rewards based systems and all that jazz. V2 would be a little harder to make it work on. Nevertheless, great idea!

1 Like

It will honestly probably be ads, maybe not in the video but between them like instagrams system. However it would be cool if you could choose which ads you wanted to be in your feed. As well as sponsorships and endorsements where people make videos with the product in it and get paid for it. We’ll see tho!

I think having sponsored posts like Instagram and twitter is good because it gives big companies the opportunity to advertise but also smaller creators the opportunity to premote themselves. As for how creators will make money themselves, having something like Instagram and YouTube where it shows people this is a brand deal… I could possibly see ad banners under people’s vines but it just could start looking very busy & ugly … IDK it will be interesting to see what is done because creators need to be paid for their content that’s why a lot of the og Viner moved to YouTube.