How is the best way to handle this

Ight so the tiktokers have came. BIG opportunity, lotta positives of course but do y’all see any way this could make existing byters mad ? Also what is the best way to handle this while being a byter looking to get into the partnership program ? are these tiktokers gonna get the partnership? Just questions along those lines I wonder about. oooweeee I know everybody is scrambling tryna think of ideas right now ,kinda excited

I, personally, am not enjoying this so I might just give it a couple of weeks breathing time and see how the dust settles

4 Likes

I mean, I can definitely see people getting mad. When byte first launched and other youtubers came over, made one byte, and had thousands of followers, it was annoyed to people who were making videos everyday and having under a hundred.
Tiktok is mainly gen z, so that’s a weird energy compared to what most of byte is used to, ive already seen it in my comments

1 Like

I think that its important we keep making content fresh and unique to us. Soon as the tiktokers see this they’ll adapt to the community. Don’t get me wrong I feel a bit weird about the comments and music videos as well but im sure they’ll come around.

3 Likes

Already this morning, I had to delete a ton of comments, and watched other veterans threaten to leave because of the nastiness. I am also waiting to see what happens with this.

3 Likes

we just have to show them it isn’t “us vs them” it’s a place for everyone. they’re just kids throwing their weight around, and once they find their own community it’ll be fine. byte was kinda dead anyway, so i think this shake up is good.

12 Likes

I’m trying to look at it from a tik toker’s view point and I can see where they’re coming from in a way. They love this app (tik tok) and it’s been one of their main sources of entertainment so to hear that it may be taken away from them kinda sucks. I’m seeing a lot of these people say stuff like this app (Byte) isn’t the best, but it’ll do and that’s all we can ask for. We can’t expect them to have the passion that most of us have for this app. Especially when Byte is lacking so much of the editing tools that tik tok has so this is a huge shift for them and we should applaud them for actually downloading the app and giving it a shot :clap: Us gen z’ers have interesting ways to show how we feel about stuff lmao so you’re going to see comments that may come off as nasty, but just ignore it and do your own thing.

15 Likes

Yeah I want the app to do well too, but ppl shouldn’t have t endure abuse in the process. I have empathy for their situation but a lot of that goes out the door when I see people, or myself, that they are ugly and/or should kill themselves, a lot of that empathy goes out the door

9 Likes

Looking into camera with text vids already being spotlighted… creativity LAST

5 Likes

Might be a slightly unpopular opinion here :sweat_smile:

But I don’t mind byte having minimal editing functions (granted, things could always be better and improved of course!); I feel like it brings back the essence of what looping videos were all about back when vine was around. But from what I’ve seen on Tik Tok, those features are definitely cool as well!

4 Likes

there are those kind of trolls on every social platform. tiktok just breeds a lot of them because it’s home to almost every kid/teen in america. they have a lot of power there, which is why they think they can just so easily come to byte and “take over”. it’s best to ignore those kind of hateful comments, or firmly tell them that kind of stuff is uncalled for and unwelcome and delete, block and move on. they’re just trolls.

2 Likes

another unpopular opinion… but I would just try to ignore any trolling. It kind of comes with the territory. I agree we should not have to put up w/ any abuse, but if they are trying to get a reaction out of you, dont give them what they want. I remember on vine sometimes people would say awful things but i learned to let it go and just keep doing my thing.

5 Likes

Just a bunch of hate comments from tiktockers on my posts. They’re showing hate to millennials and don’t want “straight TikTok” to know about this app so they can take it over. Not a good thing.

1 Like

I’m gonna have to take a break from byte it’s getting ugly … I’m a grown up and these kids are trolling me and well grown ups shouldn’t troll back kids… cause we better at it

2 Likes

I’ve already had 7 comments about killing myself… about 50+ comments about how I’m a millennial :rofl: not going to lie, these new users are incredibly annoying and lack respect and discipline.

4 Likes

It’s so cringe idk wtf this gen Z bs is all about…

1 Like

When I hear gen z, I think of world War Z :rofl:

1 Like

I have two gen Zers in my house. Trolling is a way of life in their generation. It’s a shock-value coping mechanism. And they likey have had these same things said to them. It’s not cool, but while we grew up with the internet, our internet culture is drastically different than theirs.

My daughter was very integrated into alt-tiktok and she is pretty sad about losing that community. Give them time. The pandemic has created a lot of support gaps that have been filled by online communities like alt-tiktok. Lean in on being supportive and try to ignore the hate or at least don’t be reactive to it.

They want to be open to us. They are testing our fences like raptors.

3 Likes

Today I had to Google What “fr” means

5 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl: I’ve been called a foreigner like 5x today… had to Google the internet slang for it

3 Likes