How do you judge/control your post volume?

How do most judge/control your post volume. I have noticed some bytes are very low and I lose the content point. I have raised the volume of a few of my bytes during editing but I fear them being too loud. How does one judge a good middle?

1 Like

I do not have fancy equipment, mostly record using the phone mic.

2 Likes

I have equipment but I’m too lazy to use and I use my phone to record. Usually, I don’t mess with the volume mic.

2 Likes

I’m recording with my phone too but sometimes im editing voice with program. Try DavirciResolve16
its free and simple to use.

1 Like

When I edit youtube videos, I try to keep things at around -6db which seems to be the average for the platform, I think also what the “professional” standard is for broadcast. It’s enough room to whisper and yell.

When I edit my Bytes, I don’t really pay attention to decibel level, I figure if everyone else is all over the place and using in-phone cameras so the user base is used to inconsistent sound.

3 Likes

I usually never do any audio adjustments in post. If a scene comes out sounding too loud or quiet, I just rerecord it. When it comes to audio, it’s best to record at the right volume to begin with, rather than try to fix the volume in post.

1 Like

thats the move

1 Like

Thank you I will look into it

2 Likes

I am slowly getting a little bit of hang of it- I do music bytes, and edit outside of the app. I have many that are too quiet, and a few too loud. The -6db makes some sense- I will try it.

2 Likes

I’d say as long as there’s no noticeable audio distortion from clipping you’re probably good. I’ve struggled with this even with equipment, as I try to match my volume levels to the levels of most content on the platform. Give your content a listen against some of your favorite creators and see if it feels particularly out of step.

2 Likes

I go -2

1 Like