How do i get a job

my moms not any help so im enlisting the millenials to help me, i wanna get a job and im almost 15. how do i even find one? i have some babysitting experience and i would be glad to work in food service like washing dishes or something. (this is so i can save up for a new laptop)

6 Likes

You can go to places and ask for an application, but pretty much every job now will tell you to just apply online. Get a few adults that you know have your back (like a teacher, coach, a family member that isn’t your parent) and ask them if you can use them as a reference.

When I worked at a children’s home I had to help so many kids get a job. Just apply apply apply to a wide variety of places, not just one or two. Food service isn’t the most glamorous but they’re usually open to hiring younger people.

6 Likes

Just apply, usually smaller restaurants/cafes (think mom and pops) will be more likely to hire younger/less experienced people

5 Likes

I think when I applied in high school I just did it online, but a few years ago I got a job as a grocery bagger by just asking for openings when I was at the store lol

3 Likes

My first job was as at an amusement park. It was an awesome job. Got to do a ton of fun stuff, but also got to see that people are stupid.

Now is a pretty awful time to work in Foodservice tbh. Talk to any of your parent’s friends and see if you can intern for them or help out. Look into coding, web development, e-commerce, etc as it’s a lot better than bussing tables or flipping burgers.

4 Likes

I’m 43 and i’m also looking for a job, but it seems like nobody is interested in hiring a 43yrs guy like me…

Thanks recession.

Yeah when Jaurshe says you have to keep applying… you have to apply to a LOT. more than you’d think. You’ll hear back from maybe 10% of the places you apply to. It can be discouraging but that’s the nature of the hustle.

Try to find some way to make your application stand out. Some places get 50+ applicants a day. If you can put something in there that’s memorable, it helps. I got a job offer once because I put “can walk and chew gum at the same time” as a skill :v:

2 Likes

I know some grocery stores also hire younger for like, Carr people and baggers. It’s not very glamorous, but it pays money, and gives you experience, which is something which will make it easier to get jobs down the road.

2 Likes

See if there’s any government sponsored student positions. They’re usually really easy, limited hours, and reasonable expectations. Most of the time they’re labeled “student worker”, or just student. I worked in a library position like that for almost two years.

Other than that, if you’re religious or participate in religious / culture based organizations, they can be prone to hiring younger kids they know to be responsible to do things like cleaning or childcare during services.

1 Like

i volunteer for the nursery every sunday

2 Likes

sweet!! You could mention casually one day if they have any jobs with more responsibilities because you’re trying to save money for a computer for school or something. My first job was at my church watching the babies (toddlers was volunteer but the babies were paid). Every church is different tho so I’d just ask an adult you are really friendly with

1 Like

At 15 you should be able to apply at all the normal places right? Local grocery store, pizza shops, restaurants, amusement parks, right? I imagine the process is no different but it’s tough out there nowadays. I know my school used to need to give an extra form for applications too but that that might’ve been state specific.

You can go in to most places and ask, but they might redirect you online unless it’s a really small shop in town. As for your resume… if they require one you might want to type one up with some of your school achievements? Gpa, clubs, stuff like that

3 Likes

One trick I used for my first job which could be helpful is I applied for a new restaurant before it opened, that way I knew they needed staff. I also totally agree with @wumbologyexpert that the smaller the business, the more likely they’ll be to hire a high school student.

4 Likes

The only other word of advice I can give is if a big business is primarily hiring younger people (like say a grocery store has like 75% people under the age of 20) it might not be the best place to work.

The job I just left was like this because they were able to take advantage of the kids who didn’t know any better about overtime laws and generally sticking up for themselves. So just look out for yourself :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Target is a really great place for a first job. I worked there when I was 16 and I did not have any prior experience. If they’re hiring at your local Target (I think they are hiring most of the time honestly) stop by the Customer services counter and ask for an application.

The key to getting job is to put a little pressure on the establishment. I would go into Target every 2 days just to check on the status of my application. After about a week of constantly inquiring about the position, they finally called me back and I got it👌

If you’re eager and persistent, there is a good chance you will be hired😄

3 Likes

Most of the local grocery stores, Starbucks or places like Walmart or Target will hire you. A lot of the time you just gotta go to their websites. Mostly your local grocery stores site is hard to find if anything but like Walmart, Target and Starbucks have easy websites to apply online. Being 15 is also a good thing but in some cases being 15 looking for work you need your parents permission. You will need a state issued ID, Bank account and other thing at the interview process. As far as I know that is it pretty straight forward! If you have any questions just ask!

Starbucks only hires 16 and up.

1 Like

Oh haha, that must only be the Starbucks that is run and operated in my local Ingles Markets store that does that then! :sweat_smile:

Starbucks inside grocery stores aren’t owned or operated by the Starbucks Corp so that might be it

1 Like