How byte Could Reach Mainstream Success

I just watched Anthony Padilla (fun fact: he’s the “2 Bros Hot Tub” Vine creator)‘s video about viral video creators, and it got me thinking. One of the people he interviewed was Tay Zonday, AKA the Chocolate Rain guy. Another person was the “Hit or Miss” girl on TikTok. Something those 2 people have in common is that they had a hand in bringing popularity to YouTube and TikTok respectively. YouTube thrived in the late 2000s because of stuff like Chocolate Rain and the sneezing panda and the double rainbow (I could go on and on). Anyway, then multiple creators started posting videos, channels like Smosh and Jenna Marbles and Nigahiga. Similarly, when TikTok was starting up, setting aside how it already had Musical.ly fans, it got really popular, especially with non-Musical.ly users, because of the “Hit or Miss” girl and the “I wanna be Tracer” meme. One last example that hits more close to home is Vine. Anyone remember the lemon guy (think his name is Will Sasso), Bat-Dad, or Ryan Gosling’s refusal to eat his cereal? Eventually, loads of people flocked to Vine because they wanted to be the next Bat-Dad, and we got people like Thomas Sanders, David Dobrik, the Paul brothers (unfortunately), the entire cast of Camp Unplugged, etc. What I’m trying to get at is, what I think byte could use right now is a quotable, shareable, viral video (or clip, in this case), that can be traced back to byte. Someone just needs to make a byte, and that byte needs to get shared on Twitter, Reddit, etc. People need to be able to quote it, both in the school halls and on Late Night television, and everywhere in between. If that happens, people will check to see what the commotion is about, and a lot of them will stick around (this is all hypothetical, BTW). I’m legitimately curious if this is just how apps get popular, if there some sort of psychological algorithm to it. If anyone who knows anything about the “science” of internet virality could vouch for me and my “hypothesis” (Dom included), that’d be kinda cool. Anyway, with all that said, this is just a bit of a prediction of mine for how byte could potentially get millions of new users any time now. Thanks for listening to my Ted Talk, and make sure to share all my bytes on Twitter :+1:

2 Likes

i mean, people are trying their hardest to make the app a little more popular. i see a lot of vine-like content on byte (which isn’t necessarily a bad thing) but that’s just it, this is no longer the ‘vine era’. things have changed. people’s humour has evolved. how we grow as a community has also changed. the same goes for the app’s progress.

9 Likes

I don’t think there is really any control over whatever an app produces a “viral” video other than just building a good foundation/infrastructure, a good community, and access for the thing to be shared. It’s something that really can come from anywhere - BodyBuildingFourms.com brought us RickRoll & Do You Even Lift, Bro somehow, for example.

I agree.

I think, for me, Byte is not Vine - but it is standing on Vine’s shoulders, and specifically are bringing back a lot of the grammar that vanished with Vine/was erased by the establishment of TikTok.

I sometimes think Vine as this emo band like Jawbreaker that only did three albums before breaking up, but had such a cult following that it inspired an entire wave of emo. Byte is that second wave.

1 Like

Nigahiga & David Dobrik are my two favorite youtube creators. Also, I’m doing my part by cross-promoting!

Good tedtalk.

2 Likes

How so? I mean, how have things changed?

If I were to pinpoint the two pioneers of Vine, it’d be Terrio and Brittany Furlan. The key to mainstream success is getting validation beyond a platform’s bubble, like getting interviewed by talk hosts such as Ellen. Lil Nas X was the seed that made the world familiar with tiktok as a platform, even if few at the time of his breakthrough actually checked tiktok. While it won’t catapult Byte into viral sensation, outlets like Forbes giving positive press is going to start the snowball to prep Byte’s pioneers to lead it into prominence.

1 Like