Hashtags 🧐

I read that a hashtags feature will be rolling out in the next update. I’m all for hashtags but I’m worried that people might start spamming hashtags on their posts. Hashtags are great for discovering content but spamming hashtags would defeat the purpose of discoverability. Maybe there would be a cap on how many hashtags you can put on a single byte? Lmk what you all think! Thanks!

10 Likes

I’m guilty of spamming hash tags on IG. I think one way to mitigate this is to have a specific section within the caption for just hashtags and limit to like 15.

3 Likes

15 is a lot :blush: I think TikTok only honors the first 3-4 hashtags but their algorithm is different than Byte for discoverability

3 Likes

idk, i just go by IG, and 30 is their limit lol.

3 Likes

I think just as we are limited to posting to 1 category, we should also be limited on the amount of hashtags we can use. People will absolutely abuse the hashtags feature, and I don’t think having a cap would be a bad thing at all.

3 Likes

Glad to inform yall that there will be a limit lol :))

8 Likes

There’s definitely stats that show you should use hashtags on instagram if you want to grow in engagement. While spam is always a risk I don’t think it should slow down from implementing them. The dev team has been good about making changes when they see there’s a problem. If we quickly see abuse I’m sure they’ll focus on resolving the problem.

2 Likes

Link doesn’t work

3 Likes

Please don’t use #Yourmix as a hashtag lol we don’t want to make this as tiktok

3 Likes

I think the hashtags should be limited to three. I mean it makes sense because if you add another 3 its mathematically equal to the video amount size almost. I mean all you need is

1. What video is about
  2. whats in videos
  3. Your username (I do this and it work personally)

but you can do the three however.

3 Likes

8?

2 Likes

Agreed. 3 would be an ideal number!

5 Likes

check my Hashtag eeeepic idea

1 Like

Hashtags would be dope. Limit it to 3 and it’s perfection.

Limiting hashtags is a great idea. I would like to be able to filter content by hashtag to really zone in on what i enjoy.

I agree that if hashtags are integrated they should be kept to a limit! For me, I would be completely fine without hashtags because the channels (comedy, voices, etc) serve the same purpose for me!

2 Likes

I like the idea of hashtags as they help find specific content, but I worry that it may mirror tiktok and everyone tags a ‘fyp’ or something similar

1 Like

I don’t think hashtag spam was ever an issue on vine. Wasn’t for me at least. #pizza #cute #howto #magic

2 Likes

Sounds like that was a good post

1 Like

yeah it would be cool if they filtered out yourmix or anything you would use to “try” and get up there but just end up annoying people.

1 Like