Gun control?

With everything happening recently in the US, I’m curious to people’s stance and points on gun control on the forums. Are you all for gun control and making it much more harder to purchase a gun or do you really believe that people should have access to those kinds of weapons? I can see both sides to an extent just because of the Constitution but I don’t see why anyone would ever need/want access to huge guns like assault rifles…

6 Likes

Gun control and gun bans are not the same thing.

3 Likes

What sort of purchase restrictions do you have in mind?

Intense background checks, No private sales or at gun shows, licenses, domestic violence bans, assault rifles banned, etc

1 Like

By background check I mean like checking for previous violent offenses and things like that so criminal history

Having personal experience with mental illness, I think it is time for comprehensive reasonable gun reform.
A) If you own a gun, and can prove to be mentally fit and responsible, you can keep it.
B) If you can pass a mandatory bi-annual psych evaluation, you shouldn’t be hindered from owning a firearm.
C) If you can’t pass said psych evaluation, you cannot own or use a firearm unless cleared by a psychiatrist.

6 Likes

That should be the norm when it comes to background checks

**also, the person would need to be educated extensively on gun safety and have verification of said education prior to purchasing the gun or receiving any permits

3 Likes

Absolutely. Nothing else is responsible.
I own a couple guns, but I keep them at my parents house.
Why?
My wife is mentally ill, and cannot own a firearm, so I keep them away.

2 Likes

That’s smart. I’m not sure if too many people do that. They’re strictly for self protection (and you can bring them into public) if you’re permitted to

2 Likes

Not everyone would have to have a weapon, they should do physical and psychological exams each year to each weapon bearer.
Also the United States should change its laws and control more the use of weapons, it is one of the few countries in the world that has this kind of problems.

Just ban guns. The UK does not allow any guns and there is a low rate of gun voilence here. Or at least have a certain limit of guns a person is supposed to have and what kind they’re allowed.

5 Likes

pro gun control, all I have to say, plz respect my opinion :blush:

2 Likes

Soapbox!

As long as my personal liberty isn’t infringed, I’m all good, bro. At the end of the day, all we want is for everyone to be safe. It sucks that political talking points keep us from being civil. I hate topics like this, because it almost always ends up with people upset or offended. Can’t we all just get along and be people together? Love all y’all. /soapbox

3 Likes

Its easy for the UK to ban guns because its an island but in America people would smuggle them in and then sell them. Also Americans would never go against the Constitution. I think it needs to be hard to get a gun and no one should have an automatic gun. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

The UK may be smaller than the US but that wouldn’t make it any more or less difficult to smuggle guns through. And the guns that would get smuggled into the US wouldn’t exactly be easy to come by, and basically impossible for some teenage kid to get one to shoot up his school. Getting a gun from the black market in a country with an outright ban on all guns would cost between tens and hundreds of thousands of dollars. Not exactly the kind of access that anyone’s Uncle Steve could pick up on the corner. I do see what you’re saying, but I don’t think saying “people could still get guns” is thinking everything the whole way through.

Sorry if I’m seeming argumentative. It’s a touchy subject and it’s hard not to seem biased one way or the other.

2 Likes

I 100% agree with you. Saying “people would still find a way to get guns,” is just a fallacy. People still find ways to get drugs, so should we lift the bans on drugs? Every other law people get around too? The bans should be in place to make it HARDER, it obviously wouldn’t be impossible but the system in place now is clearly not working

2 Likes

With everything going on in the US, making guns not as easily accessible is a viable step but the conversation really shouldn’t end there, which it usually does unfortunately. There are so many factors to consider

3 Likes

I think they should be banned unless used for protection & self defense purposes but even a criminal will ty to find a way around that.

I said this earlier in a different topic, but:

3 Likes

100% facts

1 Like