Greatest classic Nickelodeon show ('86 - '04)

I’m such a huge sucker for nostalgia. Us old farts will wax poetic about the good ol’ days until the sun implodes, but something cannot be denied…

Early Nickelodeon was different. There seemed to be a wholly different approach to kids TV that seems to be missing today. True, a few shows haven’t aged well, but there’s a reason why we’re still crazy about shows like Legends of the Hidden Temple, Rocko, Doug, and others. They’re freaking GREAT. And they’ve been such a big influence on how I make things today.

Even when I make Bytes today, one of the very first things I ask myself before I post is “Would I have liked this as a kid?”

So, let’s reminisce and debate…what’s the greatest “classic” Nick show of all time?

And to be clear - I’m defining the classic era of Nick as the years 1986 (the premiere of Double Dare) to 2004 (when the Spongebob movie premiered and arguably the “modern” Nickelodeon era begins.)

Yes, I’ve put way too much thought into this. Yeah, there’s a lot of choices. But one of my favorite feelings in the world is “OH! I REMEMBER THAT!” Hope this poll does that for some of you!

I would have included more shows, but a poll is limited to less than 20 choices. Sound off any of your favorites that I had to leave off below! :man_shrugging:

• Are You Afraid of the Dark?
  • Legends of the Hidden Temple
  • Rugrats
  • Doug
  • Nick Arcade
  • Nickelodeon GUTS
  • The Adventures of Pete and Pete
  • Hey Arnold!
  • Salute Your Shorts
  • Kenan & Kel
  • Rocko’s Modern Life
  • The Wild Thornberrys
  • Ren and Stimpy
  • AAAHH!! Real MONSTERS
  • Double Dare
  • Angry Beavers
  • Invader Zim
  • Clarissa Explains it All
  • The Secret World of Alex Mack
  • You Can’t Do That on Television

0 voters

6 Likes

Growing up in the UK in a pre internet era we only had 4 channels to watch on TV, so when I was 10 and we got Sky TV and I finally got to watch all these great shows from across the pond. Ren and Stimpy and Pete and Pete were particular favourites of mine.

1 Like

Good to see Hey Arnold at the top where it belongs :smiling_imp:

1 Like

heh i was born in 06 and i watched most of these becuase i have a sisber born in 91 and she made me watch them

1 Like

Invader Zim >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I remember watching Legends of the Hidden Temple a lot when I was sick at home and not doing school work so there’s lots of nice memories from that loll I also would watch it when I was up late at night and ya’ll know how cool it was to be up at 11 pm as a child lmaoo and The Wild Thornberrys was a great show too :sob: would watch it all the time with my older sister. Good times. Oh and also The Rugrats and their specials :pray::raised_hands: they really knew how to cater to the Jewish audience which was hella nice :call_me_hand: the characters, plot, all amazing in that show

3 Likes

Pete and Pete is arguably the greatest and most underrated live action kids show of all time. And Ren and Stimpy made me feel like I was always getting away with something whenever I watched :laughing:.

1 Like

Hey Arnold DESERVES to be at the top. It had so much going for it! Great music, well written character development , scary stuff - it’s a masterpiece.

1 Like

I think invader zim is the best on this list

1 Like

Zim is indeed fantastic, but it sure struggled. Way ahead of it’s time. Nickelodeon didn’t know what to do with it and it showed.

1 Like

Invader Zim LETS GOOOOOOOO

2 Likes

Def Hey Arnold :top::fire::fire::fire::fire:

1 Like

who loves orange soda???

2 Likes

1 Like

is it truuuuuuuuue

2 Likes

Hey Arnold :raised_hands:t2:

…but seriously, we can’t forget about Spongebob and All That

4 Likes

Spongebob is and will always be my favorite nickelodeon show :raised_hands: and one of my favorite shoes in general :triumph: so amazing

3 Likes

When I see hey Arnold is number 1 on the list

1 Like

I am sad to see “Are You Afraid of the Dark?” so low. If they had stopped with the original 5 seasons it would shoot straight to the top.

1 Like

I’ve actually never watched that show