Getting over a flopped byte

Look.
They happen.
Sometimes you posted at the wrong time,
Or you couldn’t get enough likes or rebytes,
And sometimes the joke just ain’t that good.
But for a time we’re each joke is original and therefore important, it can be disappointing to see it flop. We all have at least one video we wished did better.

Do you have anything you do to get over it?
I mean of course, it’s just virtual numbers, so I useally just go “aww.” Get off my phone for an hour or two, and move on, either filming a new one or just focusing on other hobbies or life.

12 Likes

i made a byte about having less likes (now deleted), and i think it applies to this topic - here’s the script:

‘don’t feel bad if you get three likes. you get more likes than beyoncé and she’s the queen of england’

12 Likes

If it flops it flops. Yeah i get disappointed because my bytes are art so it takes a long time :triumph:but as long as i enjoyed what i made im happy. Dont feel too upset and keep trying to make content instead of focusing on 1 that didnt do as well. :sunglasses::ok_hand:

8 Likes

I would think i cannot use the number of likes to pay my rent. They dont represent the quality of my video at all. Just use byte for fun.

4 Likes

I just keep going. :slight_smile: Sometimes, that is all you can do. I’ve always been the Class Clown persona and love making people laugh and smile. Not everyone has to like what I put out there and not everyone will laugh at my jokes as sometimes they are too dry or too morbid.

BUT! There are people out there that will like your creativity and ideas. They will support you and do whatever they can to help.

Even if you have no one - as long as that video makes YOU laugh and smile - that’s really all that matters.

Sounds cheesy, but you know what? When I post a video and it doesn’t make me laugh (because I’m not doing it for myself first), then that video isn’t going to show the world who I am, only who I believe they want me to appear. Even if it has many virtual numbers on it… I’ll still delete it because it’s not “me.”

Long Advice Short: Repost the video if it makes YOU laugh. Be true to yourself, communicate, and support others the way you would want to be supported and you’ll see the amazing can of worms that you’ve opened. :love_letter::100:

Also, I am not a morning person.:laughing:

3 Likes

Sometimes, I know a byte I make isn’t going to be as popular as others from the jump. I still post it anyways. Partly, hoping on the off chance it’s an accidental hit. Mostly, though, it’s because post consistency is most important above all.

On the internet, (typically) it’s the people who post with regularity who eventually make it to the top. So, even if a byte I make isn’t golden (statistically, it’s impossible for every video to be a smash hit), I know that it will at least go towards my goal of consistency.

Though, this isn’t to say you should put out something you legitimately dislike. I’m very meticulous and do a massive amount of workshopping and test footage before committing to making the concept into a byte.

Then of course, there’s the algorithm needing improvement - which the byte staff has acknowledged and is working on. Everything I make gets “lost in new”, so to speak. What comforts me is that 1) a fix is coming, and 2) There’s a chance an old video will be rediscovered eventually, should someone see a new byte and then go scrolling through my channel.

Especially remember too, this is a young app, so it’s natural that there won’t be massive numbers of internet points being passed around

Ultimately though, what matters (as others have said) is that you like the videos you’re putting out. Just focus on having fun with it, and letting your ideas come into reality.

4 Likes

I go in expecting some of mine to flop. I’m usually surprised what takes off.

Keep your hopes high and your expectations low. And don’t forget, there is a lesson in every failure.

13 Likes

Flop or not, I’ll still, grind. I don’t care much about the #s it’s about how many love my craft. :rocket:

2 Likes

I don’t understand that question :joy::joy::joy::joy:
I am happy about every like :blush:

3 Likes

I recently just got through this stage of byting lol. The only thing I can recommend is to keep your head up and realize that one bad 6 second clip is not going to determine whether you’re a success or not. Everyone flops, its not a matter of if, its a matter of when. Think of all the greats, Michael Jordan, Lebron James, Oprah Winfrey, Mark Zuckerberg…they’ve all failed so many times so the only thing you can do is learn from it and continue moving forward.

4 Likes

I mean that happens and I’ll just move on from it because as long as i enjoyed making it. Isn’t that all that really matters… also another thing just because it doesn’t “blow” up right when i post it doesn’t mean that it will never get the opportunity to. For example, lizzo’s music didn’t start getting mainstream until 2 years after she released it. Now she got the fame that she deserves from music that she wrote 2 years ago. Sometimes i look at like that…Maybe right now isn’t the time but that doesn’t mean it will never happen :heart::heart:

5 Likes

Its weird. The bytes i put effort into get no traction. Then the ones i half ass do well. But eh im just here to create memes at this point. im having a blast making videos which I regretted not doing during the og vine era.

2 Likes

I don’t think there’s a better time than now to mass produce ‘flopped’ bytes.

• First off, it’s totally subjective. Some even become hits in the future.
  • Secondly, engagement is super low overall. Just seems like a great time to experiment rather than focusing on numbers. Take advantage of the fact the the algorithms are changing and haven’t been perfected. By the time the algorithms are to a more stable point, you could have worked on and progressed some techniques you’ve been developing.

Your last flop will never be your last flop, that’s just how it works. That’s not a bad thing either, just keep learning lessons like @BrendanCescon said. Stay consistent.

8 Likes

Respect :fist:t5:

2 Likes

Yes… yes… yes… every. Single. Video I do I think of many ways I could have done better with it and beat myself up over it. But I keep going! That’s how you keep improving! But Don’t do it too much to stop yourself from making more. But also don’t be that guy who makes horrible bytes and blames everyone for not liking them or think everything you do is completely amazing no matter what.

That’s great you noticed a flopped byte!! Make better ones! Learn!

Thanks for coming to my ted talk.

3 Likes

I’d honestly try to hold onto your bytes. I made one video that I thought would be gold. I was a penguin and flopped into the snow. When I posted it, it got very few likes and I said “Well…Guess that wasn’t as funny as I thought.” About a week later someone discovered it, rebyted it and now it’s one of my most liked bytes. You never know who may find it and think it’s funny. An immediate failed byte doesn’t mean it doesn’t have potential, it may just need to be discovered by the right person.

3 Likes

Having a flop just means you’re trying. And you never know when an old video is gonna rebound. Especially with the algorithm improving. :sunglasses::+1:t2:

5 Likes

I agree with this all the way

2 Likes

I’m just gonna come back to this thread every time I get depressed over a byte not making as great of a numbers increase as I expected because it’s full of truth and it makes me snap back into reality and realize “get over it and get back to your craft.” :blush:

4 Likes