Getting fit in time for V2

We all want to look and feel our best for when V2 launches so this is a thread where you can talk about what you’re doing fitness wise or what you want to start doing for your health! :running_man::sweat_drops::muscle:

Disclaimer: I’m not a fitness professional and unless stated otherwise neither are others posting here. It’s always best to talk to your doctor and/or a personal trainer before making drastic changes to your diet or exercise routine

If you want to see my routine and cardio tips expand this!

I’ll get things started! I’m a chunky guy and have been working to eat healthier and be more active. I decided to take up walking which over time has turned into jogging. My current routine is a 30 minute jog and a very light core exercise every day. Once a week I try and do a longer jog, the longest I’ve gone so far is 1h30min. Here are a few things that have helped me get better at doing cardio:

1. Finding the right fit and size of shoe: This one helped me the most overall. I recently found a shoe that has way more cushion than my previous ones and that has helped me stay more consistent and avoid injury/strain in my legs. I also found out I needed a wide size shoe (E size instead of D) too avoid having to get shoes that were too long. If you’re looking at shoes I’d recommend visiting a local running shoe store (not a SportChek or similar big box sports store) as the staff was really able to help me understand what to look for and what all the jargon meant!

2. Strengthening your core: Incorporating something as simple as a 1min plank exercise to my routine made a noticeable improvement in my ability to keep form when jogging and just keep a better posture in general throughout the day.

3. Get that good good music: There are lots of ways to do this but personally I found myself using an app that has a bunch of remixed playlists formatted for cardio and weight workouts. It even has a feature where you can change the BPM of the song to a faster or slower tempo or have it auto adjust to your pace if you have your phone with you during your run. I also know that Spotify has some playlists with similar features or you can just make one yourself if you have a big library and like making playlists!

Lastly, I’d say don’t push yourself too hard! Start with something small/easy and work your way up to more intensive things. When I started I was walking a little fast for like 15min a day and as my body got used to it I was able to start doing more and more. If you try and push yourself too hard you run the risk of burning out and giving up or even worse seriously damaging your body!

5 Likes

I never thought I would have ever seen an educational post on here and I am glad I did. The other day I was just thinking about going to the gym. Maybe that’s a sign. I hope others will appreciate this.

6 Likes

Since I am a swimmer I mainly just swim laps as well as do ab workouts and push ups. I’m also trying to cut down on my milkshake intake but… they are just so tempting

1 Like

That’s great! I look like a fish out of water in water personally (probably mostly just because a lack of practice) but it’s great for fitness for a lot of reasons. A big plus is the lack of impact on joints and stuff vs running or weight training, right?

Do you use any device to track your laps or stuff @Griffin? Like a fitbit, garmin, or apple watch?

And yeah, milkshakes are freaking amazing and terrible at the same time. A big temptation for me is when the Haagen Dazs goes on sale at the grocery store :flushed:

1 Like

It is suppose to be great on your joints as long as you don’t overwork one motion for too long, like constantly doing butterfly for an hour. And no I don’t use any devices I just kind of count in my head and try to remember how many songs I’ve listened to in order to track time

1 Like

I do remember treading water for as long as I could one summer and then the next day I was sore in places I didn’t know existed. Got to love working out different muscles than you normally do, your body lets you know.

I’ll try to exercise consistently but I can never stick to it :,( any suggestions? what’s your secret? :joy:

1 Like

This is the cutest thread! Wow I love this positive and motivating community

1 Like

How did you manage to find my #1 struggle with exercise :joy:
For me at least the only thing that keeps me on track is having the goal “do something every day” that something has evolved over time but when i skip days that’s when I fall out of my routine. So my answer is I do my exercise every day no matter how I’m feeling (obviously I have days where I fail but that comes with the territory)

This is probably NOT how a lot of people will find motivation, in fact for most a fitness program where you have two or three workouts a week is probably better but in my case if I’m not doing something daily I just procrastinate till the next day… and then the next… and suddenly it’s been a month since I’ve jogged and I’m back at square one (“fun” fact you start to quickly lose your cardio ability after about a week or two of no activity)

One thing I could suggest if you haven’t tried it is getting a to-do app. There’s lots of good one’s out there that are free. They can let you set goals and check them off as you do them so you hold yourself accountable. For example you could set a goal for “3 outdoor walks for at least 30 minutes a week” and then each time you do one during the week the app will let you check one off. These apps often have streaks as well so as long as you keep hitting you set goals each week your streak will continue, which can be pretty motivating.

Lastly you could try and find people around you to do active stuff with and hold you accountable. That one depends on your personality, I am NOT GOOD at that so I only work out alone and have not entered any public runs or anything yet (although a goal of mine is to complete one in the future) but I DO have one accountability friend. I have a friend who lives in the states and runs too. We share our Apple Watch health data with each other so whenever I finish a workout he gets a notification and vise versa. It’s a nice thing to have because when I miss a day I know that he’ll know. Also he runs marathons so seeing the high km workouts come in every once and awhile from his end is kind of inspiring to me to keep trying.

Welp this post turned into kind of word vomit but I hope you can find some sort of helpful stuff in here somewhere :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

AH yes actually that helps a lot… thanks!!

1 Like

Don’t look now but I’m reviving this thread because I found a new running tip that helped me out and I wanted to share it.

Since I have wide feet I often have to get a larger size shoe than usual, even if it’s designated as a wide size fit. This can lead to my heel not being secured to the back of the shoe causing heel slipping. You want your heel to stay in place when running so that you always land with confidence, if your heel slips to the side a bit you can damage your ankle! Today I tried a tip I found about different ways to lace your shoes so that they hug your foot better and it was really nice. I was able to do my second ever longer run and I felt way more confident in my footing.

Here are the different lacing types you can do and what they help with (I did the first one, for heel slipping):
Lace your shoes normally until one eyelet remains on each side. Take each lace straight up the outside of the shoe into the last eyelet, leaving a loop on either side. Crisscross each lace across the shoe, pull it through the opposite loop and tie as normal. The loops will help to pull up the material around your ankle, securing your heel in place without tightening the rest of your shoe differently.
Going from the same side as your big two, lace the first two eyelets. From here you need to stick to a pattern. Take the lower lace and cross it to the other bottom eyelet and put the lace down through it. Using the same lace, skip the second eyelet and thread it up through the third. Cross it over the tongue and down through the opposite side eyelet. Follow this pattern up the shoe and do the same pattern with the other side of the lace on the remaining eyelets. Avoiding the usual crisscross pattern in this way means that the top of the foot will have more room, which in turn should give you more comfort whilst your foot still gets support.
This one is similar to what the solution for High Arches, but you’re placing the gap lower. It should give your feet more room to work with.
Thread one side of your laces at the top of your shoe, make sure it’s the opposite side to where your big toe is. Leave enough lace to tie your shoes. Making a diagonal line, take the lace down towards the bottom of your shoe, and more specifically the eyelet that is closest to your big toe.Now lace up using a single long lace in a zig zag fashion. Hopefully you will notice that when tying each shoe the bit of shoe above your big toe gets pulled away from your nail.

Wow, this is really helpful. Thank you so much for this.
I don’t really like to exercise but I do walk for a hour at 4:30am. So your shoes images can help me one day. Or someone I know.

1 Like

yahoo. time to go to the gym for once!