Generational Categorization & Labels

Categorizing people via their generation has always felt a little arbitrary to me. I feel like it pigeonholes people, and they end up nestling into some form of a self fulfilling prophecy. In some instances when you were talking about the cultural landscape and peoples worldview/point of view, etc. But but I can also be, as we’ve seen over the past few days, very divisive. I am guilty of it. But ultimately I don’t care when you were born or how old/young you are. There is always something for me to learn from you. If you’re cool, that’s cool…if you’re an asshole, we’ll, we probably still have a lot in common.

When we look at the hellscape of 2020, does it really matter if you were born in 1945, 1985, we’re 2005? Let’s make it through another day together. :v:t3::blue_heart:

17 Likes

Guys, I think he might be a… whispersboomer :grimacing:

2 Likes

Fr im technically gen z but im older so I have no home :pensive::pensive::pensive:

2 Likes

There’s also no science behind it. It’s purely anthropological and subjective. I personally consider millennials to be around birth years between 1985-1995 as we have the most in common in terms of media and shared history. It’s interesting to learn about different generations, but it shouldn’t ever be the first thing you consider when talking to someone. Unless they’re a Boomer.

2 Likes

He’s just suggesting that we should all band together and unite. I think the world needs more of that than hate!! :heart:

4 Likes

As ThinkFact likes to put it, it’s marketing.

It just pits us against each other. If we’re fighting each other, we’re not fighting the real evils :wink:

Kinda like pitting the homeless against the middle-class.

5 Likes

I was joking. Millennials :unamused: also a joke, I’m 32.

4 Likes

OH LOL sorry :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Lol hahahahaha

1 Like

I really never understood the whole generational categorising. Feel like I never heard of it until like 10 years ago, apart from baby boomers, was also never concerned or focused on an age gap as a child. It’s all very confusing to my old man brain.

1 Like

honestly generational labels are very vague and general with a million exceptions. Like for me, gen z represents people who don’t remember 9/11 and the world before it. Like that’s the big divide.

2 Likes

It’s probably one of the most useless labels honestly.

1 Like

Anyone remember the Chris Bachalo run on Generation-X? Geez those comics were amazing…

But yeah, the over-labeling of everything is insane. Just learned today my kids are called “Generation Alpha” and all I could think of was…

2 Likes