Frustration!

Hey fellow Byters! I’ve been dormant on Byte lately and it’s unfortunately for the wrong reason…I’m shooting my videos in 4k 30 fps and 1080p 60fps. I use an editing software that degrades the footage to 720p (The resolution for Byte video as I understand). The videos are pretty good quality, I import them into Byte, play them to make sure its the correct one and the footage looks proper, then I go to the final screen to select the tags I want to use and the caption I want to set and the quality degrades so heavily I literally cannot use any of the content…Like I’ve tried a lot of fixes and nothing is working. Hate to mention this, but this does not happen on any other apps. This is very discouraging for me since Byte is very fun and I anticipated posting almost daily before I discovered this issue. I really don’t want to spend a ton of money just to buy a camera of LOWER quality/resolution than the one in my phone just because Byte isn’t accepting Android videos. Is anyone else having this issue? Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do? Like I said, I am pretty discouraged from even participating at this point since the videos look crystal clear before Imported into byte and once I go to set the caption, the quality looks like it was filmed on a toaster from 1980. Any ideas? :sob: :frowning_face: :slightly_frowning_face:

TLDR: Byte is compressing android videos so heavily for me that the content is not usable

3 Likes

Hey Steven,

So, I’m not on android, but I know for me, I use a Sony a7 shooting 1080p. I upload to byte in 4K, I actually upscale it and when byte compresses it to keep it visible for the masses, the quality dims just a bit. From my knowledge, Byte can handle 1080p. Are you shooting with your camera app or the Byte in-app camera?

I would suggest a few things:

-Try uploading your video in it’s shot resolution (4K 30fps, or 1080p 60fps)
-Try deleting the app and reinstalling it (could be a simple error)
-Try logging in and logging out again
-Check the speed of your internet connection

Another component of this issue could be internet related, I’m not entirely sure how the internals of byte work when it comes to internet connection or streaming. If the internet connection is slow it’s possible that the playback resolution could be stepped down to allow easier streaming of the content.

I hope something here fixes your issue! I’m sorry that you’re having this problem :frowning:

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply!
I’m actually shooting with my camera app, doing some very, very minor editing on my laptop, then I transfer the content back to my phone! I doubt it’s my internet connection since its pretty top notch. But I will report back the results of your suggestions! Thank you again :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Awesome! If you ever export from a computer to a phone, make sure the quality stays the same. Sometimes that can cause reduced quality if an error occurred :slight_smile:

2 Likes