For V2 could we Not promote celebrities and people who are already famous?

I don’t want to sound rude but vine is responsible for the paul brothers and most of the youtubers who have came up in the last year so I was thinking if only creators who haven’t became famous yet was promoted do you think it would make V2 a better service since that’s the problem with youtube and coub since only famous people get promoted?

14 Likes

It’s gonna be impossible to not follow the big people you already love. Not specifically meaning the Paul brothers, but there are definitely other large Internet personalities I will follow. But there definitely needs to ba a balance between new and old creators, and I think that comes as a platform grows and with people making awesome content!

11 Likes

they are responsible for their own fame, they worked hard and they got their reward

3 Likes

a lot of notable artists were up and coming during vine, so they would actually fit your criteria. BUT: i understand where you’re coming from and this is something we’re paying a lot of attention to. we have some ideas that i think will even things out a bit without being unfair to anyone

67 Likes

although i get your point, the YouTube algorithm came to mind, no one except YouTube knows how it selects videos but it is a fact that big channels get on trending, as if they needed that extra boost

1 Like

some of the best vines were from random kids doing spur of the moment funny stuff and i really hope v2 can capture that same “rough edges” vibe

14 Likes

youtube made the paul brothers worse…

6 Likes

On the other hand, Adam Goldberg and Will Sasso were/are famous and they made some of the best/most inventive content on vine. They set the stage in a lot of ways.

6 Likes

thanks man, I wanted to hear that from someone, I totally agree with you. let’s not promote those celebrities and old famous viners.

4 Likes

I understand your frustration however I think v2 is going to be an inclusive app, meaning anyone seeking promotion should have to right to it. I think the addition of the previously mentioned “nope” button is to help limit cases like the paul brothers and such.

1 Like

It is what it is man. Honestly I’m kind of annoyed at people who are scared they won’t have a shot to succeed on this app. Famous people did a good job previously and they shouldn’t get penalized for already being successful. It doesn’t make sense why you just get to create a new standard for somebody’s worth based soley on if they are successful at something you want to do.

3 Likes

I think the problem any form of social media faces, is being too predictable. A lot of huge social media influencers practically run their apps. With that being said - they do deserve the spotlight they receive. But the challenge is going to be finding a solution where new artists are given opportunities to share the spotlight.

3 Likes

Perhaps you could use a system where larger viners are encouraged and maybe incentivised to promote smaller viners. Maybe if you give them a place where they can say that these are smaller viners that I watch and find funny and you guys might like them too.

3 Likes

I also know that big platforms that Im using at the moment have a new AI system taking place which helps a lot of natural exposure. I’m pretty sure V2 will also have a great AI system taking place!

1 Like

i agree to some extent. i feel like people with enough presence on other social medias, apps, and especially tv, should be much less likely to be promoted. i feel the people who grow and thrive on an app should be promoted by said app, instead of promoting people who were already famous in other areas. (for instance, talk show hosts or actors)
that’s one of the many problems with youtube. i counted once that only 18 of the top 50 videos on the trending page were from actual creators on youtube, while the others were either talk shows, trailers, or mainstream music videos. youtube should be promoting their youtubers!

1 Like

“rough edges” vibe is a really good way to put it, i agree

3 Likes

I do understand where you are coming from and it is something that the developers should work around. But I also think some people that are known for not the best content on Vine have found their niche on a different platform and they would stick with that and not go to V2. The other thing is, is just don’t worry about it right now. Just trust in your content and make vines for the fun of it, not to gain a following :))

1 Like

This is something that we, as a community promote ourselfs. Are we going to mass follow those famous people, or just do our own thing.
I think it will balance out in the end. There are more social platforms these days, and in the past couple of years, a lot of features are added to those, so more choices for all of us.
My point is, you don’t have to follow everyone on every service, and you can decide on wich service you want to start creating.

1 Like