Favourite Book?

What’s y’all’s favourite fiction book? I’m always looking for more things to read.

7 Likes

The Great Gatsby (all time)

5 Likes

Leave a light on the end of the Dock

1 Like

Wise Blood by Flannery O’Connor. A preacher’s son gets out of war, goes down to the South and tries to escape his evangelical past by starting “The Church of Christ Without Christ.”

Hijinks/murder ensues.

It was written by a white Catholic woman in The South in the middle of the Civil Rights-era and I think her simultaneous insider/outsider perspective on that era makes for this soggy, dark goofy Gothic story that I say is about how the quickest way to salvation is to be really, really dumb.

1 Like

“The quickest way to. salvation is to be really, really dumb”.
I’m already saved then.

1 Like

All the Harry Potter novels (of course)

The Mysterious Benedict Society

Series of Unfortunate Events

The Phantom Tollbooth

4 Likes

I actually haven’t heard of that second one.
What’s it about?

In general, I read nonfiction. Here’s a sampling of my current inbox:

ADVERSARIES OF DANCE: FROM THE PURITANS TO THE PRESENT

Subculture (New Accents) :

Retromania:

The History of Forgetting: Los Angeles and the Erasure of Memory, New and Fully Updated Edition :

Hippie Modernism: The Struggle for Utopia :

3 Likes

It’s basically the same as Series of Unfortunate Events, where a group of really smart kids must combine their gifts and talents to take down different crafty villans.

1 Like

I’m already reading a lot of non-fiction for school, which is why I specified non-fiction, but I’ll look at these for later.

1 Like

History of Forgetting

You ever watch the documentary/film essay LA Plays Itself? It discusses a lot about LA’s history of erasure and tendency to self-cannibalize.

He also made this really abstract sequel called Get in the Car where he’d go up to sites where buildings were erased in LA and record it for a few moments, sometimes with commentary in the form of a printed out piece of paper.

2 Likes

I have not watched this documentary, but I will check it out when I finish the book! Thanks for the tip!

I think it’s on netflix and it’s definitely on the illegal means to obtain media.

1 Like

Sold and Lord of the Flies
(Edit: didn’t see you said fiction LOL Sold is a great nonfiction book and Lord of the Flies is a nice fiction read)

4 Likes

Oh, hell yes. I’ve been a lifelong fan of fantasy & sci-fi fiction, let me grab my list of recommendations. Note I haven’t had as much time for reading these last couple of years so I don’t know too much about new releases.

Right off the bat, my favorite author of all time is Brandon Sanderson. I’d strongly recommend his complete Mistborn trilogy, and his currently ongoing Stormlight Archive series. They’re long but really great. His other books are pretty great too.

Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams is obviously a classic comedic sci-fi series. Discworld by Terry Pratchett is the classic comedic fantasy series. Both are enjoyable rides, the latter being a larger collection of mini series like the Death Trilogy & Tiffany Aching series though, and some standalones.

Some more obscure series I enjoyed while growing up include Fablehaven (5 books), The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel (5 books) Bartimaeus Trilogy, The Last Dragon Chronicles (7 books), Wheel of Time (14 books), Erec Rex (5 books but unfinished), The Kingkiller Chronicles (2 books but unfinished). Some of these might not be your cup of tea, but if you have any questions about them feel free to ask.

Really awesome discussion, thanks for opening this thread!

3 Likes

Dr Suess cause i hate reading books :weary: props to you book readers tho :sunglasses::ok_hand:

4 Likes

I love lord of the flies!

1 Like

Lmao I captioned my latest byte with a Douglas Adams quote.
I have good memories of hitchhikers because we used to listen to the Audio tapes on road trips when I was younger

1 Like

A giant compilation of Edgar Allen Poe’s works, in one book more thicc than any dictionary you could ever find :open_book::face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

something like this, perhaps?

2 Likes