Favorite comics?

I love comics very much. For a long time I pursued being a comic artist, either as a penciler or inker, but it never panned out.

Still doesn’t stop me from enjoying them!

Any comic fans out there? What are your favorites?

If you’re really into it, who are your favorite artists and writers?

Dark Horse is my personal favorite publisher, but I love a very wide variety of artists. If I had to pick absolute favorites? Mike Mignola, Eric Powell, Will Eisner and Jill Thompson.

5 Likes

I’m extremely biased so I’m gonna say that the Archie Sonic the Hedgehog family of comic series was my fave. There some undeniable weird ass stories in there but there was gold to be found sometimes. In particular, I enjoyed the spin-off “Sonic Universe” since they focused on more characters other than Sonic.

A good fave of mine is Ultimate Spider-Man. Back when I was about 12 or 13, I found the first few issues in the public library and I was addicted. When I couldn’t find any more issues, I started reading them online (don’t tattle :shushing_face:). The fluid stories, character interactions, artwork, and the fact that it was the starting point for an entire universe, really made the comic for me.

Other than that, I enjoy quite a handful of DC and Marvel comics (I still try to keep up with Spidey in particular), Scott Pilgrim, some Archie stuff, etc.

Tyson Hesse is my favourite comic artist. I don’t have a favourite writer per se. I also do not have a favourite publisher.

1 Like

I used to love comics growing up in the 80s/90s but in the last 10 years Marvel have made me want nothing to do with the majority of them. I tend to read a lot more long form narrative comics (I HATE the term Graphic Novel) these days. It’ll probably be a while before I go back to them.

2 Likes

I’m mainly a dc person, but I love my locals- dark horse.
They did a super cool character design collab with my favourite sports team where they turned some of the players into superheroes.
In terms of actual comics, it’s been a while, but thanks to DC universe I’m slowly working my way back through birds of prey.
I also read essentially all of the x-men and amazing spiderman comics my local library had as a kid. My parents don’t “get” comics and think they’re a waste of time, so I was limited for a long time with that.
Also, sandman.

Not an ad, but if you like DC, I definitely recommend dc universe. For less than 10$ a month, you get access to all their animated stuff, their new live action things, and 20k plus comics.

3 Likes

Oof, man… you mean you haven’t read any “Saga” yet???

1 Like

I’m a DC man if that’s what we’re talking about. Though I do like some of Marvel’s lines, mainly X-Men and Spider-Man. And when ‘Marvel Now!’ started it felt like a renaissance but it quickly descended into a quagmire again. New 52 was largely pretty rubbish too and what with the movies I just can’t muster any enthusiasm for the superhero stuff anymore

1 Like

Also, unpopular opinion, but I’ve always largely disliked the MCU because two of my least favourite characters of all time are captain America and iron man.

Also, the movies they made re:x-men really fucked over storm just so they could give j law’s mystique screen time and destroy what I enjoyed about mystique as a character. Also, their version of Emma Frost, one of my other favourites was long fart noise.

I did enjoy the recent birds of prey movie, and the aquaman movie. They did a really good job with the keeping the campiness, which is something I love about comics.

I also enjoy the CW DC Shows for the most. Flash is my all time favourite hero (he’s basically ADHD turned into a super power) and the fact they included Wally makes my heart warm, as he’s my ultimate favourite.

I’m a marvel fanboy to heart but god damn flashpoint is my all time fav comic arc

2 Likes

But I will follow Alan Moore wherever he goes and whatever he does. A true blue genius that man. Warren Ellis is a badass too. Love John Romita Jr, Rick Remender, David Aja, Mike Mignola, Dave Gibbons, David Mazuchelli etc but mainly their non-superhero stuff.

1 Like

Red hood

2 Likes

I liked that so much

1 Like

I read the first three and couldn’t get a long with it. I tried to pick up again recently but it just isn’t for me.

did you like the civil war 2 comic arc

1 Like

Civil war 2 that’s the one with miles morales right?

1 Like

yes

1 Like

Well, that figures.

1 Like

I only know so much about that arc, it just reminded me I don’t like captain marvel lol

1 Like

:joy::joy: captain marvel was buggin

2 Likes

She ALWAYS buggin :rofl:, I wanted miles to hit her one good time

1 Like

As much as I like Miles nowadays, Civil War II seemed to be a fanservice completely for him.

2 Likes