Explore updated: Popular 2 and new categories

We’ve updated the Explore tab with a few new things:

• Popular 2, an experimental section that shows a random, unranked selection of some currently popular posts every time you refresh it
  • 4 new categories: Cute, Magic & FX, Voices, and Anime (let us know about more!)

We’re working on a bunch of new stuff in the app, but right now we’re tackling your biggest requests:

• letting you show your followers in your profile
  • letting you view your followers and the people you’re following
  • grid view

We’re also still working on a recommendation (or “FYP”) feed, but that will take just a little longer. And we’re experimenting with a neat discovery feature that I personally think is better than any of that. :wink:

Keep the feedback coming, and thanks for being here with us and letting us make byte better for you. :slight_smile:

82 Likes

I’m still not clear on what screenies is for, would appreciate some clarity on that, as it seems to confuse a lot of people as to what it’s intentions are.

As for other categories, the main one I see people wanting is edits, since that’s a pretty huge community

28 Likes

Yay! This is exciting! :raised_hands:t2::raised_hands:t2: Thanks Dom!

5 Likes

I think the popular 2 page will make it so people can grow more, it’s a great idea, thank you Dom

16 Likes

It’s for screen recordings, but I think we can remove it once we add the next batch.

19 Likes

Just seems like most of the time they can fit better somewhere else!

8 Likes

Agreed! We have a note on “Edits” but wasn’t clear if anime encompassed most of that or not.

17 Likes

Wouldn’t say most of it, think a separation would be really nice right now, or it’ll be an issue later. Most edits I’ve seen so far are for tv shows, artists etc

9 Likes

Fair enough, we’ll add it

15 Likes

So Pog

6 Likes

Byte is getting better and better! I love it!

5 Likes

I am loving popular 2 right now!! I see that it’s “experimental” so would that mean that it might one day replace the current popular page?

10 Likes

Finally! I can showcase me pulling a rabbit out of a hat!

5 Likes

Maybe! Anything is possible. For now we’re just going to see how people like/dislike it and probably iterate more from there. It’s also possible that we can use some of it in the categories so they rotate more often.

17 Likes

I think the category should be called “edit” like there are lot of Anime Edits (anime and manga edited with music and effects) on Animation Category, and there are some random funny edits, I think all of the edits can go to the Edit category, and original Animation can go to Animation Category.

2 Likes

Is there an update for Android? (For theexplore tab) Or is it not out yet

2 Likes

it should work on both platforms without an update

11 Likes

Hey, thanks for the update. It’s great to be interacting with the community.

Personally I’d like to see the hashtags be implemented. Also, I’d love to see the videos not need to be encoded when sharing.

5 Likes

Yep I see it working

2 Likes

Was sorting categories by latest or trending just added or had I missed it until now

2 Likes