Editing Advice?

Hello hello!

I’ve noticed that there are SO many byte videos out here that are so wonderfully edited! What sort of advice could you offer for anyone who would like to edit their videos better? Any and all advice would be appreciated! :hugs:

11 Likes

If you are using ios go for VideoShop its free and amazing

4 Likes

I watch a lot of film analysis vids on YT. As well as generally observing film/tv/etc. I can post links of you like?

1 Like

Do you use any editing apps or software currently? When I edit on my phone I use the app “InShot” and its actually really versatile. There are also other apps to extract audio from videos, create transparent photos to add to bytes, etc. I mostly edit on my phone so I can’t speak much on the best way to edit on a computer.

5 Likes

I recommend watching YouTubers. But it depends what you’re comfortable with, for example, you may be comfortable to edit (e.g Phone, Tablet, or Computer)

There are a lot of resources online/YouTube, lmk what you need assistance with… what device are you comfortable with using?

5 Likes

Which app you use for editing ?

1 Like

Me? I use Final Cut :point_left:t4: AND I retired iMovie recently :sob:

4 Likes

Final Cut is really cool but for byte videos its not like easy to edit on the go

2 Likes

For beginners, I agree but sometimes messing with it you’ll come across cool features! I started using it recently because it helps with alignments and filters.

4 Likes

I’ll check that out, thank you!

1 Like

I also use InShot and it’s been great so far! :hugs:

5 Likes

So far I’ve just been using InShot

2 Likes

I’ll check out some vids then, links would be greatly appreciated! :sweat_smile:

I think for simple things, imovie or movie maker or the simple free ones work just perfect. Once you want to start adding a bit more to the videos, it might be a better idea to upgrade to something bigger. Like pac said, theres a bunch of youtubers that’ve made videos on these.

Edit: Just noticed your profile picture lol @Pac

5 Likes

A small editing “rule” is that if you’re cutting between two people talking, try to have the eye on the same place of the frame for both images. It’s like a small thing, but just makes it easier someone to understand what’s going on.

Also, it looks awkward if you cut on a blink, but sometimes you want to be awkward especially on Byte.

6 Likes

uwu :star_struck: making jerry blush!

3 Likes

You want to coordinate your imagery, audio, and motion. Since the platform loops, cut the video where the audio loops perfectly and if the footage is off due to where you are having to cut it, go back and edit the footage knowing where you will have to make that cut for a perfect audio loop. Think about motion direction, which way is the motion going in each clip and use that to create a seamless direction between each clip. Adjust footage or audio as necessary on the timeline so that the two are in sync. Change speed of footage as necessary as well. Also experiment with short transitional clips, I am talking like half sec film burns, reels, static, etc… Play with pillow shots to give pause and thought on the surrounding content. I use the Videoshop app for iPhone for my edits. If you get it all coordinated, it will create a very natural free-flowing expression that can even be hypnotizing.

9 Likes

havent even read this yet but I just KNOW its good advice lol

3 Likes

Okie dokie! And is there a difference in editing on a phone-vs-editing on a computer? (I would imagine there is lol)

2 Likes

Being able to edit on your phone is just convenient and comfortable. Being comfortable editing is important. For byte, you are editing for a phone screen size, so why not edit on the device your video will be presented on. No need to transfer files back and forth from your computer and phone. You’ll want to use an editing program that has the right balance of features for you. Videoshop is it for me, everything I need without having an excessive amount of options I don’t need. The few occasions I need more features then I use LumaFusion. I have only edited on my computer a handful of times using Resolve and that was only to find that difference you are talking about and I personally havn’t really found the need yet.

2 Likes