Dutch for Americans (Recommended for @plushbeats)

@plushbeats You wanted to learn Dutch, right? Let’s start by watching this vid: https://byte.co/sem/1MnVAJUq90V :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Don’t forget to like, comment & rebyte y’all! :smile:

2 Likes

arptheid really bro? you too funny lol

1 Like

Yeah, apartheid means ‘separateness’!

1 Like

Let’s translate all words I mentioned in my video!

1. Apartheid = Separateness
  2. Nassau = The Dutch royal family - Van Oranje-Nassau.
  3. Staten Island (or Staten IJland) = States Island - refering to the Dutch parliament, de Staten-Generaal (States General).
  4. Van De(r) = From the - part of a Dutch lastname, just like mine ‘Van Der Vegte’, that tells where they’re from.
1 Like

really? I had no idea. I just arptheid was always an english word, till you explained this to me. As for the other words, I"m surprised how many of these words look familiar. I’m sort of surprised so few countries speak dutch outside the netherlands and europe considering their wide influence in the americas

1 Like

The Constitution of the United States of America even has a Dutch version which was written during the same time as the English one! It was even considered to make Dutch an official language in the US back in the day. Martin van Buren was the first President who was born is the US yet his first language was Dutch. The US has so many Dutch influences, even the donut is Dutch! The word ‘boss’ derives from the Dutch word ‘baas’ and Santa Claus’ origins started in The Netherlands as well, with the now controversial ‘Sinterklaas’! :joy:

1 Like

wow i didn’t even know this. Guess you learn something new every day

1 Like