#DeleteFacebook

#DeleteFacebook Trending On Twitter!?

Found this article on how #DeleteFacebook is trending on Twitter. I want to open up a discussion and put some information out there so people can learn more and also start a conversation with each other.
How do you feel about the situation that Facebook/we as users are in?

5 Likes

idk what this means lol

1 Like

well if they legitimately mean that they think the creators of Facebook should delete Facebook, I think that’s a little weird (unless there’s some sort of scandal or something) seeing as it’s just a social network but it could also be a reference to Mars Argo?

3 Likes

Sorry about that. So there’s been more investigating into Facebook with the 2016 election and other sketchy activities that they have been involved in and people are not liking it. Yesterday, Mark Zuckerberg lost $5bil in net worth because of the stock of Facebook going down so much. People are starting to delete/deactivate their Facebook accounts because they are sick of Facebook using all of the user’s information for their own agenda.

I’m curious if people think Facebook will continue to fall with the massive amount of people leaving and getting rid of their accounts. Also, do you think it would be an opportunity for V2 if Facebook’s popularity keeps going down?

5 Likes

This is very interesting. It’s definitely a testament to the consumer’s power. Consumers can build a platform, but they can also destroy it. This would be prime time for another company to swoop in with another social media platform. One that has security and privacy at the core of its business.

4 Likes

Why delete Facebook? Is there like a scandal we should know abt… or are people from twitter just deleting their facebooks

3 Likes

A lot of user’s are getting rid of their accounts. I’ll link another article here explaining a bit of the situation going on this morning:

Article From The Verge

4 Likes

Yes! Now what if V2 worked on this for its users since Facebook is not? Do you believe that would be a game changing and game a lot more traction for V2?

2 Likes

Good question! There have been a few sketchy situations with Facebook, one in particular called “Cambridge Analytica”. I’ve linked some articles in this post that explain some parts of the situation

3 Likes

I definitely think so. Either way, this is an opportunity in general. People love ethical and authentic companies. I know everyone wants this app to literally have everything, but I do think this opens up another potential avenue for the app. Incorporating some of the same qualities as Fb in the app, it could gain traction. Look at Snapchat and YouTube for example, both are continuously changing their layouts and honestly starting to look more like platforms like Fb. This has huge potential.

5 Likes

Love the breakdown on the situation Tomek, I’m extremely interested and I’ll keep an eye out for your videos once V2 comes out :call_me_hand:t3:

2 Likes

Thanks so much! Really looking forward to yours as well.

2 Likes

ahhhhhh got it :+1:

I may just be paranoid, as I don’t like having too much personal information, or information about my private life available, but I’ve never been much of a fan of Facebook. I’m a rambler unfortunately, so to spare people a 90 page essay, I’m going to break down my reasons why into a list:

1. There is far too much drama from users and it is not monitored in the slightest.
  2. It’s not only the Cambridge Analytica, every time one scandal is forgotten, another one happens, is brushed under the carpet, forgotten, and yet another scandal appears- it’s a never ending circle that no one seems to notice.
  3. It’s a very much abuseable platform, as shown by the thousands and thousands of fake accounts, bots, scams, etc.
  4. The community guidelines are very rarely actually enforced in my personal experience. For example, I once reported a click bait article about animal abuse that shows extremely graphic and very much unnecessary images of animal abuse as the icon for the article when shared. Upon reporting it, I later received a response stating that it didn’t break community guidelines. Think that’s bad? I had the same thing happen when reporting an article about child abuse that display a little girl missing half her jaw in a fresh wound. That also didn’t break community guidelines. Nor do racial slurs, ableism, etc etc.

Okay. The list may not have fully prevented a ramble. But. You get my point. Personally I’d be happy to see the site disappear, though I very highly doubt that will ever happen in my lifetime. Regardless though, even if it’s only a few hundred thousand users out of the several hundred million (hell I’m pretty sure it’s actually over a billion users), I’m just happy to see at least a minority boycotting the site at long last.

4 Likes

well that’s interesting… hope facebook aren’t gonna screw up further

1 Like

Well, unless V2 can become a home for old Facebook-lovers, I don’t know if it could replace it. But it could be beneficial to the app. Also, I’m sure Facebook will do something to stop this. It should really care about its consumers more

1 Like

well sheeet its gonna take more for them to even consider deleting facebook

1 Like

it is interesting and i’m not sure where my stance is yet as i haven’t finished my research but i’m curious as to why people aren’t also deleting their instagram accounts and whatsapp accounts

while deleting facebook can get facebook moving a bit, as long as people are using their other acquisitions, they will most likely throw a tiny bone to keep the masses occupied until the next scandal, which is usually what continues to happen

1 Like

Yeah I just saw an article regarding hem data harvesting. Not too sure though. Haven’t read it fully.

It’s in regards to a data issue.