Curtain call (goodbye, dearest forum)

I’m an emotional sap.

I’ve made several long-winded posts detailing just how much this community has changed my life.

So many in-jokes. So many bonds strengthened. So many stories that we could all share. So much Kathy Bates (from Misery).

I find myself at a loss for words over this whole mess.

So I’ll use someone else’s words.

And whether we shall meet again I know not.
Therefore our everlasting farewell take:
For ever, and for ever, farewell,
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.

Good night, good night! Parting is such sweet sorrow, That I shall say good night till it be morrow. My necessaries are embark’d: farewell . Adieu!

And finally…

“I wish there was a way to know you were in the good old days before you actually left them.”

14 Likes

So long and thanks for cursed images. :sunglasses: :ok_hand:

7 Likes

Thanks for tolerating them. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Also, since Josh is too humble to brag here- if y’all want to enjoy his content, go please follow him on the tikity tocks.

5 Likes

You’re too kind, madame.

While the forum is still open, I might as well use it.

There’s a distinct difference I’ve observed between the TikTok and Byte communities - specifically in how creators are treated.

Yeah, I’ve had some success on TikTok. I’ve made some friendly acquaintances. A couple of my videos hit over 1M views. Wheee! But over there, for the most part, once you’ve reached a certain level you are no longer a person. You are a thing and your job is to make things - and it’s usually just one kind of thing. Congratulations- you are now a brand of yourself.

I’m thankful for the good stuff that’s happened over there, but it’s weird how people suddenly feel like you now owe them something. Like you’re a vending machine or Netflix.

Byte was incredible because we were a community of creators for creators. It’s hard for me to fully articulate that feeling. For the most part there was this underlying understanding with eachother. A mutual respect and an accountability. Make good stuff and by extension make each other better.

At least that’s the feeling I got. I know the app means different things to different people. But for a season this community truly stood out. Byte was beautiful.

It’s my hope that we can get back to that place.

9 Likes

Also, fun fact - ghost TikTok is WAAAAAAY nicer than history TikTok. There’s a metaphor in there somewhere but I’m tired!

2 Likes

That’s the spirit, old bean.

3 Likes

I haven’t even hit 30k loops total over all of my posts combined here.

:disappointed:

I keep resisting tiktok, but at the same time…

3 Likes

In the words of the great Tallahassee,

I’m uhhh
I’m not great at farewells.
So, um.
That’ll do, pig.

1 Like