Critique for critique?

I’m both open to hearing it (constructive) and willing to give it, if y’all want.

8 Likes

Sure. I’m game:

I enjoy your poetry posts, though I wish your reading space were mic’d up, as you speak with a pleasant soft voice.

2 Likes

Honestly, I really enjoy your found footage videos and your editing on them is pretty flawless. The only think I ever find lacking/missing is just my own curiosity wondering how/where you find such cool material.

2 Likes

Thank you for the kind words.

The short answer is, I’m old, and I’ve seen some things.

The long answer is I’ve been a record collector for over 20 years, and a media collector for at least as long. Long live private trackers, and indy DVD reissue companies! The edits represent my desire to learn how to edit video while sharing some of my favorite sights and sounds.

3 Likes

This is great!!

I LOVE what you’re doing on Byte. The nature thing is super unique and your shots are great!

I think adding some very subtle movement of the camera (not only in pano style) would really add some more character and intrigue to your already beautiful shots.

2 Likes

Ooh, I’ll have to try that. I am a little worried that the panning gets repetitive.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’d say there’s a time for movement and a time for stillness. Def don’t want to get repetitive. I’d say it’s all about adding interest to the frame. Perspective is great too! Having some things close in the frame along with the things far away. More just ideas rather than a critique. And feel free to critique back! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I will!
If I haven’t 24 hours from now, please remind me! Just gotta eat dinner

1 Like

Yes please! I need an honest outside perspective :innocent:

The acapella style stuff is really cool! You’ve got almost like a…doo-wop kind of vibe to how you sing? There’s one or two videos where the sound seems a little too loud, but being in a car makes it hard, especially when you’re doing something spontaneous.
This is just a tiny thing, but the direct eye contact you hold with the camera is a little intense. I don’t mind it at all, but potentially some might find it uncomfortable? You have a really great “presence” in your performance.
Idk how you would necessarily work it in, but maybe having like, lyrics or a little doodle on the chalk board you sing in front of would be fun.

1 Like

Your editing is pretty excellent, and your relatable content hits the mark on relatability.
In terms of framing, there’s some shots where your hat bill gets cut off, which is fine, but also some where we can’t see your whole face, like some is outside the frame. Personally, unless somebody is leaving/entering a shot, I prefer the framing to be as such so that we can see all of them?
Also, maybe a touch more intensity in emotion and infection in your voice sometimes? Like in the Louie rent one?

Great feedback! Thank you!! Yeah, I’ve got some ideas with the chalkboard. :wink: and the eye contact thing is a good note also! And I’ll think about volume of the vids themselves. Thank you!!

1 Like

I’m down. I could use a little critique in my life.

As for you, Every nature related video is pleasant to the eyes. Makes me wish I was there to witness it myself. Overall I tend to think you’re a underated Byter and I hope you continue to have fun doing what you do

1 Like

Thank you so much!

Your choice in music really fits your bytes!
I’m not sure if you’re aware, but in the “it’s my life” byte, you singing along at the end is out of sync.
It might be your camera quality or a deliberate stylistic choice, but the over exposure on your videos messes with my fragile, weak eyesight a little bit.
I think your meme content is really strong- keep at it!

In this byte the audio levels of the different clips are pretty different so it’s a bit jarring. In addition to leveling out the audio levels you could consider cross fading the audio to make more gentle transitions.
For bytes with a single video clip you could try cross fading the beginning and end of the video so there isn’t an abrupt transition when it loops.
I don’t know if you’re using a tripod or not but the steadiness of the camera is great. It keeps the focus on the nature and is peaceful.
I haven’t gotten any criticism on my bytes before so I would like some. Thank you

1 Like

Thank you so much for the feedback!

Yeah I noticed it before I posted it. I really wanted to fix it but everytime I did the whole video would fall apart for some reason. My hands were tied so I had no choice but to send it the way it was. In every one of my Bytes, I always end up not liking something from it so ig that’s one on the list :joy:

:thinking:Also it’s probably the bad quality from my phone. Sometimes it looks good other times, the videos come out looking bright and crazy. Hopefully a new camera I’m trying to use makes it look better.

:point_right::point_left::pleading_face: Thanks again for your time. Means alot

1 Like

You might be able to manually adjust the exposure from within your camera app

1 Like

I didn’t think of that. I’ll give it a try :wink:

2 Likes

Ah, this is an excellent point re:audio. I definitely have something I can use to smooth it out.
I have considering using fading/transitions but every time I try, it looks like a kid’s powerpoint presentation. It’s something I’m looking to learn more about to make it better!
I don’t use a tripod! That, and some dorky looking telephoto lenses for my phone are on my list of “when I have some money spare”.

Also, woah, the editing on your original music video. That’s super cool, especially the bit with the flowers into the swing set. your editing is buttery smooth. Your beats are super soothing too. The only thing I have relates to my poor eyesight again- the video with the crack in it makes my head hurt a tiny bit. Otherwise, super cool content. Genuinely a little embarrassed to have not seem all your videos before.

1 Like

Aw wow that’s really nice of you. I don’t post as frequently as I probably should so that’s probably why you haven’t seen me. It’s pretty cool getting to talk to you because I see you in the forums and I see your bytes all the time.
You don’t use a tripod!? That’s really impressive. I wish I had that kind of hand stability.
Oh yeah I wanted to suggest one more thing that I forgot to write in the original critique: maybe you could use one audio clip while showing multiple video clips so it’s more cohesive and smooths out the video transitions/cuts.
Thank you for the critique. I know the crack byte is a bit disorienting. I wish I had shot it at a higher frame rate so that I had room to edit it more smoothly.

1 Like