Creative burnout tips?

So it’s been about 3 weeks of constant amazing bytes from everyone! Thank you for making the rest of the community smile every day.

I was wondering, if anyone has felt uninspired or burnt out, how have you come out of it to find inspiration to make funny videos?
I’ve talked to a few of you already, and you had great advice. I wanted to open up the conversation for anyone who has gone through creative burnout or have good tips to stay motivated every day.

15 Likes

Hey, Nicolette! When it comes to creative burnout, I’m, like, captain of the ship. In my experience, it’s less creative burnout, but a lack of motivation. I have numerous ideas, but no motivation to record and chug through them as I did a week or two ago. Release hype has died down, and as Dom has stated, we’re reaching the ‘real numbers’ stage where we’re seeing members of the app come back consistently over days or weeks, not just joining then promptly leaving.

For me, it’s been just making a change as simple as a more spread out uploaidng schedule. No more uploading once a day, 7 days a week. Once every few days is more than enough, while we let the community grow naturally, before our creative flair inevitably comes back into the limelight. For now, just take it a bit easier, don’t focus on the numbers, focus on being a member of the community. Also, do collaborations! That way, you make content a two-way street with another user, instead of focusing all your energy into burning yourself out alone. :^) keep your chin up! <3

7 Likes

Hey Nicolette,

The thing that keeps me going is knowing that one day I’m going to be rich and famous and I’ll be pulling mad girls like no tomorrow driving so I’ll still upload trash even if it’s just me sitting on the toilet because quantity is the best way to go.

In all seriousness, just take a break. I took a break once, in the 2.5 - 3 weeks since launch, and I just spent all day coming up with ideas.

For me personally, I actually just went into other niches. If you look at my page, I actually switch up like crazy, went from a travel vlog, to a minimum edit skit, to a fully edited skit, to a fully edited horror-esque loop. Just have a look at what other people are doing and see if you can get some inspiration from them. I’m also quite a heavy Byte consumer, having watched more loops than most people, so that kind of helps.

4 Likes

hi @Nicolette a forum Expert wrote about Byter Burnout? in November of 2019, and i wanted to pass it along for extra reading :grin:

Hopefully you get some more responses to help you out.

8 Likes

For me personally I’ve only been on byte a few days so I haven’t really burned out yet, but I usually just find inspiration from anywhere. Whenever I’m out I look around and find certain ideas from like conversations with people to objects around me that I think would be great to make a short video on. I usually write them down in my notes so I don’t forget as well.

2 Likes

Sometimes we’re so focused on our end goal that we forget why we’re doing this in the first place, leading to a loss of passion, and then burnout. Cliche to say, but I think it’s best to take a step back, do something else that makes you happy, and then you’ll be reminded of why you loved making these clips in the first place. Just personally speaking it’s hard to act like the metrics of likes and loops don’t matter, because in the end we’re putting ourselves out there to be validated by our peers, and when we feel like we’re not getting the attention we expected to get then it sucks.

There’s just no way to not have expectations, and when we have likes and loops tracking our value in numeric form, it’s just impossible to ignore. Stepping away from the platform will help us remember what matters, which is using byte as a form of creative expression. Sometimes we grind so hard and get invested in the numbers that we forget in the end, they don’t matter nearly as much as we think they do.

5 Likes

I’ve had a couple days where I’ve felt completely exhausted of ideas, so I take that entire day off and focus on doing things I love doing (watching horror movies, playing a game, etc.). That usually gives my mind time to relax and come up with some new shit :woman_shrugging:t5:. That’s what helps me. When in doubt, relax that brain, baby :call_me_hand:t5:.

5 Likes

That is soooo true!

3 Likes

Precisely this. I can’t think of ideas unless I’m not thinking of ideas.

2 Likes

I just look at instagram or other social media platform to find new idea.

1 Like

I don’t think that I’ve ever hit a burnout stage in my creativity and I think that’s because I don’t pressure myself to create on a schedule. When an idea comes to me, I go with it. I’m not looking for stardom. It’s not going to happen considering the way I do things. And, IMHO, not pressuring myself to be on a schedule means that my product is better because I’m not worried about deadlines, or what day of the week it is, or what time of the day it is. It just happens when it happens.

3 Likes

I’m constantly burnt out doing animations and such… 3hrs work with not many views… can get depressing too! But I’ll lie in bed, go thru old vids and re edit them and make something new. Works every time. Lazy and effective to battle the burn. Sometimes old ideas can be made into a theme or a regular reacuring gag. So try Revisit old characters or situations !

5 Likes

I’m gonna share something here that has helped me a lot- Go to your twitter account and scroll back like 2 or 3 years or more and track down an old joke you wrote. Now say it on camera for byte!! If anything it’s just a great starting point to write something new.

Ps @Nicolette we need to collab on a byte soon :smiley:

6 Likes

Ohhhh that’s such a good idea! I’m definitely going to look try that at some point. Thank you :slight_smile:
Also YES. I was just thinking that we should :heart:

3 Likes

I was on a roll a couple years ago. I had ideas right and left. But after taking an unintentional extended break from the forums and not really being inspired I haven’t been able to come up with much of anything.

3 Likes

goto Michaels, a costume shop, a toy store, or any art store. I always see something i can make a video with. Been doing this since the Vine days.

3 Likes

Be glad my problem is that when i work on paintings it took time to see anything changing

So here and than i can’t show it to an audience because they didn’t get the progress :joy::joy::joy:

So on… I try it fill with footage of my baby sputnik

An other idea i have is to show scetchbook doodles… But the only thing that i imagine is that people didn’t like these messy scetches :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

I’ve been figuring out ways to up the quality of my Bytes and brainstorming for future ones. Sometimes, when you feel like you are out of ideas and you turn your focus to other things, a new idea will randomly hit you.