CopyCat Media

There are many socil media platforms ranging from instagram to twitter to snapchat (and many more) however these social media platforms enjoy seeing what works well for others and incorporating it in their own platform. Thanks to this you often see little difference between the platforms as they all are becoming too similar. I understand platforms motivations behind this, to take what is working and make it work for them, however I personally dislike the fact that they are becoming one and the same. I would like to hear what you think about this. This topic was inspired by the fact that while I was scrolling through the forums, many posts compared their ideas for the platform with instagram, and also suggesting ideas similar or identical to what other public networks already have.

I would really like v2 to have something new. Something that will be different to the other platforms as well as not copying what others have. [Popular to mention is about the pin posts similar to stories or my days].

Thanks and I encourage people to discuss :slight_smile: :kissing_smiling_eyes:

7 Likes

I really like unique applications, like was Snapchat but now the option in Snapchat we have in Instagram,Whatsapp and Facebook. For me it is very important in an app to be unique and very original

1 Like

Exactly. Snapchat was something new for the world but facebook and instagram took the idea and made it worse. Then added it to their own platform. I would not like it if v2 did the same. There are posts on this site about having something similar to snapchat. v2 is also compared to vine and the people on the forums are taking the ideas of other platforms and asking for something similar in v2 while I, personally would love v2 to be it’s own thing. It needs to be unique and original as it will bring new things to the platform.

1 Like

I see what you mean. Many social media platforms have been getting very very similar recently and it’s irritating. I think V2 will be nice and unique tho

1 Like

I noticed how other apps started incorporating the same stuff on thier platforms

1 Like

Yes i think the same, if V2 have the same option the people will never enter on the app. The persons, like us, want unique apps

1 Like

I really hope so. Everything is to similar and if v2 manages to be unique and it’s own thing, I will spend even more time on it. If it becomes like facebook or instagram “Copycats” I will be disappointed. Well. Fingers crossed

1 Like

That’s very boring, i dont like the same thing in different apps

1 Like

I also see this happening where platforms will just take the best stuff from others and use it in their own. I really do hope that V2 doesn’t copy anything and is a completely fresh and new social media app

I always thought vine was great because of how original and new the idea was. I am sure with V2 it will be made to be unique and special

I really dislike Instagram. It has basically taken all of the things that made apps unique and interesting and mashed them together into one tedious app. I would be really disappointed if you guys added stories. Also, I liked the way that you need to scroll down to see the videos on people’s accounts. It prevented the awful click bait that we see all the time on Instagram.

2 Likes

I’m curious as to what you mean from ‘new’ and ‘unique’?
How would you want V2 to attract users?

1 Like

Yep, social media sites incorporate good ideas and adjust it to their applications. terrible.

1 Like

Exactly what we should expect. A magical wonderful place full of talented creators as well as a purely fresh look and not being a copy cat :scream_cat:

1 Like

By unique I mean that it doesn’t copy other sites ideas. As I said like Instagram and Facebook copying snapchat.

It should attract users by being different. It should not be a photocopy or plagiarized work. It should be its own thing. I do not have any ideas for new ideas but I know I would not like the app as much if I knew that all of their ideas were taken from other successful media’s and incorporated into their own.

1 Like

Exactly my point. We, the people, will or would not like the app that takes what is unique and mashes it up into “one tedious app” @dom please consider this when creating the app. From this we see that the majority of people would like content that is completely original. I don’t have any ideas but I’m sure the people at v2 have something up their sleeves. Never seen before.

The problem is apps adopt options that the people want, or options and tools that people will use and will bring in more users. I get where you’re coming from but, and this isn’t trying to sound mean, but it kind of smacks of elitism. Like we don’t watch that mainstream show cause it’s too trendy. I don’t want to be stuck making vids with a bunch of people saying they are better than other apps cause we’re V2’ers. That makes us just as bad as the app users that do the same. Please don’t think I’m trying to bash, I want V2 to be something special as well, but I also want the freedom to choose the style and format af the vids I put up. I think as a community we can do that though, and hopefully do exactly what you propose as well. Be something new, but old, and unique.

Hope that didn’t come across as rude. I love the sentiment.

1 Like

I underatand where you are coming from. But we already have to many almost identical platforms. I would not like to see v2 become what instagram and Facebook has become. I understand why companies do it but I would like to see v2 be its own thing. What was great about snapchat was that no other site had it. Same with vine (rip). It was original. I know originality is alot harder now as a lot of ideas are out there and being used. I would not mind partly similar aspects but i would not want a photocopied idea and placed within v2. If v2 ends up creating another app that ends up being a social media platform where you can share v2s and just discuss things and have similar popular aspects. When these quick enjoyable videos are separate from all the other popular things. It will be more enjoyable to the user. We don’t need another instagram because we already have it. v2 should be original in every aspect possible and be incomparable to other social media platform. What made vine a hit, was that it was original(and was owned by Twitter) as well as that the people there were original. Facebook was also a hit because it was a never seen before concept.

I also hope that I didn’t sound mean here. I am just stating an opinion in which I see so many similar apps that I have enough of all that garbage but I want something new. Maybe v2 will, later on, become an instagram but I believe that they should leave time to begin to trust in the app and enjoy it. Facebook was original and now it is not really. Many people don’t use Facebook as often as they used to because there are many apps out their that do the exact same thing. v2 being original is what it should be. Of course this is just my opinion and I’m open to discussion :slight_smile:

1 Like

Having unique features in an app strengthens its community. If an app just copies everything from other apps, then people just see it as the same thing as everything else and are uninterested. If there are many unique features, the community will stay with the app because there is nothing else like it. People are drawn to new and different ideas. This is why everyone STILL loves V!

1 Like

That is a perfect summary as to what I was trying to state. Thanks :smiley: