Constant repost of old vines or memes

Hey all!

I’ve been seeing a lot of old vines and memes being posted by accounts not from original creators. I would understand if its the original creator posting their own old content, but these are accounts made specifically to post other’s content.

Just curious if there’s any rules against this and what others think of people doing this. For example, I was scrolling latest feed today and one account was just spam posting back to back old vines and vids from youtube.

Also, I’ve seen a lot of people posting videos with tik tok logos on them (bc they saved the vid from the app the uploaded to Byte). Any thoughts on this?

3 Likes

Heyo, this happens quite frequently, but it seems like it should be slowing down now that mods have been added to multiple channels on the app! Here’s what Dom said about it in December and it seems like things should improve soon :crossed_fingers:
https://community.byte.co/t/copying-on-byte/41668/7?u=benf

1 Like

Thanks for the response! The link shows a message saying page doesn’t exist or is private. It’s probably why nothing popped up when I searched for this topic :confused:

2 Likes

Oh crap yeah that was in beta discussion sorry about that :sweat_smile: basically, this happens a lot and hopefully with the new categories and new people on the app, that should eventually drown out the people who just repost videos. You can always click “flag” and “it’s stolen” on someone’s byte if they don’t credit the original user!

2 Likes

Haha sounds good. I’ve been seeing it more frequently these past couple days so was curious Bytes take on it

1 Like

I just don’t get the problem. If that account isn’t posing as that content that is being posted, where’s the problem. Ppl repost things on Ig, Tiktok, Twitter, etc. all the time even if it’s not there’s. Why restrict that when no other app does? If the original creator request it be taken down, then that’s one thing. But that isn’t the case and they aren’t trying to fully impersonate the account, then it really is no harm. As long as they aren’t posing it as theirs. Byte the app shouldn’t be strictly enforced as Byte the forum. Many non creators that hopefully join the app will do this like every other app.

6 Likes

Pages that only repost aren’t really a problem now, but if in the long run pages like that got popular and got paid for it? Yeah no. I’m not a fan of pages that purely exist to repost and profit off of it. Byte isn’t that big rn so it’s not a big deal but maybe someday.

3 Likes

Actually my mistake, I thought you were asking for it to be enforced. Didn’t realize you were just asking, lol. Many other ppl just try to get things enforced so I assumed you did too. My bad😂

1 Like

Well this is in the byte app’s guidelines so it may slide on other apps, but posting other people’s content as your own won’t pass on byte

7 Likes

Yea I get that but I also see that as a problem. Not everyone on Byte will make content when the app does successful. Most will just view content.

Personally, I don’t like when content is stolen in the form of passing it off as your own. Repost however, does no harm when
a. It’s not passed off as its own
b. If the original creator for some reason request it taken down, but the repost page declined that request.

I get the “oh well it may slide on Other apps but not here on Byte” thing, but that might actually be the problem. Put “Creativity First” if your a content creator which is fine, but again…not everyone on this app in the future will make content. Some ppl will just like to repost from their favorite creator on this app and if done the right way…why be strict on it? If anything it’s just free exposure to your page and more facial recognition within this app.

5 Likes

Hmm honestly, reposts can be nice. Especially when you consider that some of us haven’t seen that content before.

Maybe this will help you out in the future: We're testing a dislike button

2 Likes

Never had a problem with reposts especially if its hilarious lol. The exposure helps creators a lot. Only problem is if the user is intentionally trying to impersonate the original creator. I’m sure the mods can take care of this.

2 Likes

Haha all good. Was just wondering due to seeing higher volume of them than usual. Saw accounts that were specific to only re-posting old content in bulk but none of the bytes had captions or creds on them for original creator. I got a good laugh of some of them so I don’t mind :laughing:

1 Like

Big creators get there stuff reposted by different accounts all the time. Makes their face well known.

2 Likes

Exactly

Here’s what I don’t get whenever I see posts like this in the forum: If you don’t like what a partuclar account is posting, don’t follow them, don’t go to their account and look at their videos, or block them so you never see their posts again. Or, if you think they’re breaking the rulese, report them and let the moderators deal with it.

I guess people get easily annoyed by this because there isn’t a huge amount of activity on the app right now, but you have to remember this is like going to the mall. You may not like every store in that mall. But it doesn’t mean those stores should be shut down just because you don’t like them, other people might like them. Just go into the stores you like and avoid the ones you don’t. Same concept applies on Byte and any other social media platform.

6 Likes

True I gotta remember to not be a Byte Karen😅

5 Likes

Exactly! Just because I personally think reposts are gross doesn’t mean they don’t have to exist. It just means I’m careful to ensure I never come across them on my feed in the app by liking and following content I like and not watching the stuff I don’t. Super simple and easily adaptable concept to every aspect of life.

3 Likes

Great example, Tom :upside_down_face:

3 Likes