Comedy Inspirations

For all the comedy byters out there, who has inspired/influenced you to try to pursue comedy? For me, I think I’ve been influenced by things like SNL, Will Ferrel, Conan O’Brien, John Mulaney, some of my favorite shows like The Office and Gravity Falls, and some of my favorite YouTubers like PeanutButterGamer, Jacksfilms, and Scott the Woz

13 Likes

Nigahiga (Ryan Higa) :wink:

8 Likes

I am heavily influenced by Monty Python with my cut out animations. Whitest Kids U Know is a major favorite in my household. MADtv (before they rebooted) speaks to me as well :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Dave Chappelle, Louis CK, Bill Burr, Chris Rock, Ricky Gervais, Jim Jeffries, Richard Pryor, George Carlin, Patrice O’neal, Ellen Degeneres, Brian Regan,

5 Likes

I’m influenced by youtubers like Cody Ko, Noel Miller, Danny Gonzalez, Sarah Schaeur, Drew Gooden, Kurtis Conner, Jenna Marbles, James Marriott, Kelsey Kreppel. I find that the comedy I gravitate towards is similar to what they do probably because I watch so much of it too lol. I also like a lot of comedians like John Mulaney, Chris Delia, Tom Segura, Jim Gaffigan, Whitney Cummings, Ali Wong, Sebastian Maniscalco, and Mike Birbiglia. Also some shows like Psych I find really funny and probably influence what I find funny too

9 Likes

Lmao I love Jim Jeffries him too

1 Like

My list could triple if I keep thinking about it.

1 Like

Ditto on Tom Segura, Jim Gaffigan and Mike Birbiglia

1 Like

I actually signed up for Jim Gaffigans texts so now every now and again he mass texts like we’re buds😅

1 Like

that pretty clever :laughing:

1 Like

3 Likes

Comedy was like my only defense mechanism growing up, so I kind of soaked it all in like a sponge. My favorites?

takes a deep breath

Robin Williams, Conan O’Brien (especially his SNL and early stuff), Brian Stack, Monty Python, George Carlin, MST3K, a whole lot of SNL from many different eras, Jim Henson, Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis, Bill Murray, Patton Oswalt, John Mulaney, Reggie Watts, Maria Bamford, Eddie Izzard’s “Dress to Kill”, Kids in the Hall, Spaced, The Blood and Ice Cream Trilogy, PeeWee’s Playhouse, Tim and Eric, Look Around You, Big Train, Rhett and Link, Tex Avery, SCTV, Rocko’s Modern Life, and every single Ernest movie, show, and commercial ever made.

8 Likes

NigaHiga, Jacksfilms, Thomas Ridgewell and a bit of Vine

Shows wise, a lot of cartoons on Cartoon Network that have stuck through childhood (Ed, Edd n Eddy, Kids Next Door, etc.) and others like Brooklyn Nine-Nine

5 Likes

Huge inspiration for me, to actually make comedy skits and sketches, was someone called JusReign. As a South Asian myself, it was amazing seeing someone make Asian related humour cos I could finally 100% understand all the nuanced references and jokes. It felt like I had representation and it really boosted my confidence and inspired me to one day make short funny vids. Now here I am on Byte! Tryna represent British Asians, Pakistanis and Muslims to hopefully inspire other young people to break a stereotype :triumph::100:

6 Likes

I loved him on vine holy cow you just unlocked a memory

2 Likes

Early on, definitely Eddie Murphy. I watched Raw and Delirious as a kid (my parents are rad lol) and would reel off his jokes constantly, even though I only understood 80% of it at the time :joy: Billy Connolly, Jim Carrey, Whose Line is it Anyway, Mock the Week, Hale and Pace, and then a bit later on people like Tom Segura, Louis CK, Bill Burr etc.

In terms of actually getting off my ass and making my own content, Smosh was huuuuuge. I’m 27 and remember a time before youtube, so when those guys started out it was a gamechanger, and Viners obviously had a similar impact. Markiplier is also a massive inspiration to me!

(I’ll stop here or I’ll be bleating on all day :rofl:)

4 Likes

Mine was Marlon Webb, will smith, fluffy and some George Lopez and Robin Williams

2 Likes

bro he was HILARIOUS

2 Likes

Geez…the early days of youtube. Miss those days. SMOSH just exploded out of nowhere. Nice Peter was my absolute favorite. And I can’t believe Rhett and Link have stayed the course and gotten so huge.

3 Likes

Ooh, I’ll definitely add Monty Python.