Comedy Influences

Seeing as a lot of the videos on Byte are based in comedy, I was wondering what everyone’s comedic influences are?

I grew up on a diet of the Simpsons, those first 10 seasons or so are probably the basis for my sense of humor. The older I got, I started watching a lot of sketch shows like Monty Python and Fry and Laurie.

15 Likes

someone had to be the funny one in the family…

haha, just kidding. mine is russell howard - although he does stand up comedy (not fast paced, which is what byte is all about), i still consider him a comedic genius. seriously, if you’re reading this, check him out, he’s one of the most funniest men on this planet.

6 Likes

Honestly I got a ton of inspiration from YouTube. Even as a kid that’s where I saw the most skits. I was either listening to music or watching something funny on my computer. You should check out 5 second films. I feel like they basically invented vine back in 2007.

7 Likes

Our influences are so similar! I loved Python in high school (yeah, I was super popular) and some of the other classic UK comedies like Blackadder and Fawlty Towers were in my regular circulation. Throw in a dash of the acerbic Canadian political satire I took in during the late 90s and the Stewart-led Daily Show in the mid 00s, and there are the foundations for my bizarre sense of humour.

4 Likes

My parents were really funny people!!! So I get it from them!

10 Likes

For me it’s improv and fresh Prince of Bel air

6 Likes

I actually, I am a huge fan of fresh prince.

4 Likes

I’d say, Chris Tucker & my close friends in IRL. But I don’t think I’m funny, just have a dry sense of humor! :rocket:

5 Likes

Certainly Monty Python, Kurt Vonnegut, and the Coen Brothers. Couldn’t forget the influence of my family either.

3 Likes

Tim and Eric . Ren and Stimpy. The Young ones. Mighty boosch. Tom green

5 Likes

South Park And family guy , that’s why everything I post is offensive

1 Like

I am currently watching a lot of How I Met Your Mother. So I get a lot of inspiration from them.

1 Like

Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Louis CK, Arrested Development, Gabriel Gundacker.

I grew up watching Monty Python and the Simpsons as well. Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry are both geniuses too. Even watching Hugh Laurie in House has been a big inspiration to me. That man has mastered comedy.

8 Likes

Oh man, so so many. I grew up watching tapes of Richard Pryor, George Carlin, and Steve Martin do stand up, as well as all the SNL episodes from the 70’s. Dad was a huge Belushi and Murray fan. And I adored the really weird kid shows like PeeWee’s Playhouse. Bill Nye the Science Guy’s editing, sound design, and comedic timing were also major influences. I even love The Aquabats! Super Show! now.

I wish I could write and turn a phrase as brilliantly as Patton Oswalt. Of course Monty Python. Kids in the Hall. I’m also a huge nerd for Conan O’Brien, especially his early days of Late Night and back before when he wrote for SNL. “Tom Goes to the Mayor” made a big impact, as well as Space Ghost Coast to Coast and Cartoon Planet. And I was obsessed with the “Too Many Cooks” video in the early days of YouTube.

Probably my biggest hero of them all is Dan Akroyd. Ghostbusters is my favorite movie of all time. The man is a polymath and a weirdo comedic genius. Anyone seen his skit he did for SNL in the 70’s where he was running both the AM and FM radio stations at the same time? That is a master class in writing and comedic acting. Look it up on YouTube. If I had a 10th of his genius and brainpower I’d be ok.
Minus the cocaine use, of course.

EDIT
Here’s a Facebook link to that Dan Akroyd sketch. It’s been removed from youtube.

7 Likes

Family Guy and Superbad.

1 Like

Oh, how could I forget Norm Macdonald

3 Likes

I’ve got some millennial/gen z influences but here’s three off the top of my head:

1. Drake & Josh
  2. The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
  3. Adventure Time

Wonderful shows that shaped me as a closeted theater kid :star_struck:

3 Likes

Adventure Time, man. That’s the stuff right there.

2 Likes

I went to see Russell Howard years ago live, he’s great. Remember him from when Mock the Week was starting out too. Think that the first time I ever saw him.

1 Like

I vaguely remember something about 5 second films back in the early days of YouTube. I have a feeling a few people I knew may have submitted something to it.

1 Like