Combating the use of third party apps to buy/gain followers

when buying followers they aren’t really engaged with you, you’ll eventually get found out, its essentially cheating your way to the top almost becomes a pay to win type of game and is ultimately unfair to the smaller artist who is trying to grow a larger audience with the actual work they put into their creations, will anything be embedded into the app to detect some of these applications that are sure to rise after the launch of the app? i know Instagram has that in place, its almost impossible to stop it from happening but just trying to find a way to slow it down, thoughts?

11 Likes

I think there will be a way to detect mass followers and bots.

3 Likes

There should be a report button to flag someone who has a ton of followers but no views/likes

5 Likes

You make some great points, Tyler. I definitely think there needs to be a way to detect the buying of followers and use of bots. It definitely doesn’t make it fair and doesn’t level the playing field at all. V2 is ~inclusive~

4 Likes

unfortunately for us, it’s veryyyy difficult to counteract bots and other third party sold services like that without making the app for normal users very annoying to use. not even youtube knows how to stop it, and they’re the best at getting close.

i am willing to bet that there will be of course some things to counteract it, im not sure what it will be, but; something at the least

:+1:

8 Likes

Lmaooo I’m not finna play :sob:

1 Like

Bots are kind of hard to get rid of, I think so anyway, with Pokemon go, there was a lot of bots, you just need to look at the post and guess if it looks botty if you know what I mean

3 Likes

not completely stoping it i know its impossible just a way to slow it down.

3 Likes

I would think that this would be extremely hard to combat. We can take some scenarios into account:

1. Someone gains followers really fast:
    a) They bought a bunch of botted followers through a third party application
    b) They are a celebrity and linked their new V2 account on another social media platform
    c) They are featured on a social media page with many followers because of their quality content

2. Someone receives many likes in a short period of time
    a) They purchased a third party service to bot likes
    b) Their content was extremely hilarious and many people shared it with their friends and their likes grow exponentially
    c) Their content is shared an linked on other platforms which brings many users to their content

As we can see, it would be very difficult to tell the difference between scenarios. Obviously, there are some methods, such as tracking where the users came from (both geographical location, and reference link), but it would still be very difficult to program something that can accurately determine the circumstances.

6 Likes

What ways are there to counteract bots?

2 Likes

captchas, email verification, ect ect,

5 Likes

Gotcha. Thanks.

2 Likes

This would just be a way to prevent bot account creation, but there are still ways that people will be able to make profit off selling likes and follows. Even if captchas were implemented, the purchase of mass captcha solving is relatively inexpensive compared to the profit people can make off selling likes and follows. This would only serve as a barrier but not a prevention.

2 Likes

I think vinyfly accounts should be banned

1 Like

I think it’s be difficult to moderate at the start, but once v2 operates and has enough data to pull from, the buying followers will be a lot easier to control. I don’t know much about software, so I don’t know the possibilities, but I think there should be something like YouTube, where the account is reviewed after you get 300 views in a short period of time. In addition, accounts should potentially be flagged like the other person suggested.

1 Like