Clarifying some forum stuff

Hey all,

We’re holding off on our next byte bulletin until we’re ready to announce the beta. We’re not there just yet, so sit back and maybe think some more about the username you want?! Right now we’re targeting September, which we’ll get into more below. Meanwhile, let’s talk about this forum.

The moderators were appointed to help the members of this forum have a positive experience and — when needed — to take action to ensure proper etiquette is followed and rules are upheld. Although we’ve stated that constructive feedback is welcome, we’re sorry that it hasn’t always been clear how to deliver it.

The “meta” category was created to organize the discussion-about-the-discussion happening last week/over the weekend, but it was intended only as a temporary measure. Forum Bugs & Feedback is set up to be the ongoing space for your ideas. Moderators will look carefully at anything brought up here.

But we also just have to say: Airing grievances about another member or moderator just isn’t that productive when done publicly. It only causes issues and instantly limits any discussion to either offensive or defensive positions. It’s always better to talk directly with the people you have an issue with or else bring it to all the moderators. If they aren’t able to satisfy your concerns, you and/or they should escalate to Cami.

In general, this forum deserves (and is due for) a refresh. This will likely come in the form of some downtime in advance of the beta. During that downtime, we’ll be making some changes, including:

*Revamping the list of categories as well as some re-categorization of topics to better serve the purposes of the forum. We’ll be doing all this with an eye toward the best possible experience for first-time visitors so that they can find the information they need easily…

*Moving domains over to byte.co (finally)…

*Refreshing the branding…

*Revisiting trust levels, and because we’re limited in how much we can edit those, probably renaming “experts” and potentially creating a different title for current active experts…

*Bringing on the new moderators and getting them up to speed…

…plus some other little things here and there. If you’ve already made a suggestion in Forum Bugs & Feedback, we’ll be taking a closer look at these as we go through the refresh.

When the forum comes back for its “grand reopening” of sorts, these changes and the expanded team will all be in place, along with a fresh bulletin with details about the beta!

~

One final note:
Let’s remember that Dom initially started this forum as an experiment in a more direct way for staff and byte users to interact. As with any experiment, there will be growing pains as we all figure out what this place means to us. We’re really lucky to have such smart, positive, and engaged people here. Ask for what you need to have a better experience and we know your friends will rise to address your concerns creatively.

For our part, we’re working every day toward releasing the app and to make your time here worthwhile. Your support keeps us going and means the world to us.

*byte team

89 Likes

Appreciate it. :ok_hand: the work the staff does behind the community is still well appreciated

15 Likes

Thanks guys! honestly, i feel like this is finally just what we need! excited for the forums to finally get a breath of fresh air, and let everyone see who those new mods are :eyes:

thanks, again lol :green_heart: happy to be here

19 Likes

Thank you for the info Cami! Your Forum just energized me for today!

I WILL STAY HYPED UNTIL SEPTEMBER!!!

BYTE IS COMING!!!

13 Likes

Highly appreciate this post, seeing as a lot of the things mentioned are points I’ve raised over the last however long I’ve been a part of the community. Always tried to think of ways that the forum as a whole could be improved, and I guess it does make sense to make all of these changes at once, while a downtime is needed anyway. Will probably take some time to look back at suggestions I’ve made, and see if anything could be added or improved upon.
I think a big thing to mention is that over time and especially with the open beta and then release of the app, the forum will likely turn into a very different place, with much more questions about the app, suggestions, and self promotion. Hopefully the changes made will help to deal with these changes!
Feels good to be heard!

14 Likes

thanks for the news cami! active expert rank also sounds pretty interesting :eyes:

11 Likes

Safe to say not now

6 Likes

Thanks for the update. Lotta new info :eyes: , can wait. :sunglasses:

11 Likes

Thank you for posting this. I will definitely wait for September to hear more news about byte!:laughing:

10 Likes

Thanks for the update!:+1:

10 Likes

Great stuff for the family love it keep doing what y’all are doing ! It brings pure excitement and happiness to us every day #ByteFam

9 Likes

Wow. Thanks for this update. This is well appreciated. Take y’all’s time on your working plans with the app and the forums. I know a great outcome will be out soon. Thank you so, so much wish y’all the best

9 Likes

Thanks team! We love you to the moon and back!!

10 Likes

Thanks team! We love you to the sun and back!!

11 Likes

Okay, no need to flex with your knowledge of solar systems.

12 Likes

YEEE HAWWW

(this is a complete sentence discourse, stop censoring me)

14 Likes

so that means we’ll get another BETA ??? and spend like literally another beta aka more people to put to test the app therefore an eternity to release

9 Likes

Oh noes, will my expert title be changed?!

7 Likes

public beta

13 Likes

all trust levels will most likely revamped

13 Likes