Can't upload a video file from my computer

Hi folks. I’ve tried uploading this one video file as both a mov and mp4 format, and I keep getting error messages whenever I try to upload it. The error message reads “Upload failed. Tap to retry.” It takes me to retry the upload or delete the upload, but whenever I retry uploading it keeps going in a loop. I made the video (an animation) in Storyboarder Pro, which lets me export mp4 video files. The video dimensions are 9:16 (portrait), and I’ve even added sound (white noise) and nothing seems to be helping it along. What else can I do? Is it something on my end? Is the file just too big?

3 Likes

Hey, try uploading it in 720x1280 as Byte prefers this size. That seems to have worked for other people since I checked what size they’re saved in.

3 Likes

Hey! Just tried this now. Unfortunately it did’t like that either…

2 Likes

Honestly not too sure, unless the file is exceptionally large or your device is having issues.

2 Likes

Could help

2 Likes

https://handbrake.fr/ might be useful for anyone without editing software that has that capability.

2 Likes

Even with sound, the file doesn’t want to upload… I’ll see if I can upload it somewhere else.

2 Likes

Well, yeah, that’s a possible workaround

2 Likes

Looks like uploading it to TikTok re-encoded it to work. Suck that I have to deal with the watermark tho… I also tried downloading my instagram story like you said but even that didn’t work… What’s the best format to encode with if this happens again? (Computer looks like it’s missing a script so I couldn’t get ffmpeg to work unfortunately…)

2 Likes

Well, first, there are online services that let you download TikToks without the watermark, I rely a lot on them for edits.

Second, open the file that worked for you in some software, check the parameters, and try to replicate them maybe.

Like I said on one of those topics already, so far I’ve uploaded three very different mp4, and they all worked for me. I suppose only the developers can fix this for good.

3 Likes

Vouch, this worked for me :tada:

3 Likes

Hey. I had a similar experience like this but instead of it saying “Upload Failed. Tap to retry.” it just keeps sitting on the “Creating Video.” When I uninstalled and installed the app 4 times it sort of fixed it, but now I have a Issue where it Uploads then it doesn’t show on my page. The videos are 9:16 (Portrait) There’s sound (My Voice) in the video. Anyone help?

3 Likes

Did you figure anything out? Having the same problems.

1 Like

Did you take a screen recording capture on your iPhone? We did the same, and occasionally, the file is either corrupt or something and Byte won’t accept it. Just re-record it if that is the case and try again. Hope that helps, Henry

2 Likes

I actually made an mp4 in Procreate and it worked fine everywhere but in byte. I tried exporting it as a gif and png too. :man_shrugging:

If I loop it on my iPad and video it with my iPhone, it works, but that seems a little :crazy_face:

play it on your iPhone and take a screen recording of it and upload to byte. See if that works.

1 Like

Will do! Thanks!

if you can put the files on wetransfer and link them, we can take a look. is this on iOS or android?

1 Like

iOS.

I think it’s the fact there is no sound.
I’ve uploaded some other stuff with sound and it works.

Which leads me to my next request, a way to mute the sound for stop motion and time lapse type stuff for in app creation. I can use a tripod or ghost mode to get rid of screen tap jitter, but being able to have a silent loop I could add music to before publishing would be great.

How did the music add feature in V work anyways?

1 Like