Calling All Vegans 🌱

Anyone here a vegetarian or vegan? :seedling:
I need some recipes and ideas for food that’s yummy and meat free! Maybe we can make this thread a place for the foodies? Hehe! I know @Drrhondafail Has made some yummy vegan/vegetarian meals before as well as @TomWho, who cooks about everything and makes it look DELICIOUS! So ya! What’s your fav vegan/vegetarian dishes?! I’d love to know!! :blush:

11 Likes

I just made some salsa verde enchiladas that you could easily make vegan!

Dice up a poblano and a tomato and heat them in a pan with olive oil on medium heat. After about 5 minutes, add a half a can of black beans and stir in some cumin, garlic powder, and chili powder for about 2 more minutes.

Cook the other half of the can of black beans in a pot with some olive oil on medium high for about 5 min or until heated through. Then mash the beans up as best you can.

Spread the mashed beans on little tortillas, and put the poblano mixture on half of each tortilla. Roll them up like enchiladas and put them in a baking dish.

Cover the enchiladas with your choice of salsa ( I chose a salsa verde salsa) and then I sprinkled mozzarella cheese on top (you can omit or add vegan cheese).

I popped it in the oven for 4 minutes on 475 and it came out wonderfully. I also put a little chili pepper and sour cream on top after I took it out of the oven.

Hope you try and enjoy!

3 Likes

I am definitely going to pay attention to this thread. I just got the news from my doctor that I should go vegan. Would love to read what people share.

2 Likes

Vegan. I make a killer hummus.

-1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas) with the juice (aquafaba)
-8 ounces guacemole
-3 to 4 ounces tahini
-2 ounces dark miso paste
-half ounce minced garlic
-1 ounce fresh lemon juice
-siracha to taste, 1 ounce for me cuz i like spice
-tbsp of soy sauce, hoison sauce and maple syrup
-2 tbsp nooch (nutritional yeast) or nah if you don’t like
-half teaspoon oregano, cumin, black pepper
-quarter teaspoon cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder
-optional,add a teaspoon of turmeric for the health benefits ( I do )
-optional, add a bunch of Italian type seasonings if you like fragrant herbs etc, ( I do )

Blend the crap out of this in a high powered blender to make it smooth and not so grainy, depending on the blender 5 to 10 minutes is usually enough. Stir once or twice in the blending session if needed. may need to add small amounts of water for thickness etc. This makes about 32 ounces which i go through in a week every week. much more flavor forward than store bought stuff. Hopefully any allergies can be mitigated with decent substitutions.

3 Likes

nutritionfacts.org for health research related to plant based diets. to start things off if you feel like it.

1 Like

This made me instantly HUNGRY OH MY GOSH! And I love me some enchiladas too! This will deff be in my list now. Thank you so much for sharing! I’m gonna LOVE this thread :kissing_closed_eyes::pray:t6::seedling:

1 Like

Im trying to commit to being FULL VEGAN! It’s so hard but I feel so much better just being meat-free so hopefully one day I can be a 100% vegan. Welcome to the vegetarian lifestyle tho! I wouldn’t go back like ever. This has become my new norm :hugs:

1 Like

Omg. This. I need to try this. I will try this and I will get back to you. I LOVE hummus. So this made me really happy but also reallyyyy hungry! Tysm!

1 Like

just remembered, i do prefer to blend the dry spices first into a powder before i add them into the mix, but not required

1 Like

I’m a vegetarian & have been so for a Long time, buddy. I think you should really experiment with stir frying, especially with portabella mushrooms!
Also, with most vegetables, you can add a bit of Balsamic Vinegar with the seasonings you use & the flavor will knock you off your Feet, my guy :drooling_face::ok_hand:t5:!

3 Likes

Not like meal food, but some of my coworkers are vegan so I have some dope cookie recipes If you want.

1 Like

I do love to cook, but the closest I get to vegan cooking is vegetarian. I can’t live without butter and cheese and cream.

While on the topic, why in the world do vegans avoid honey? But eat things with yeast, which is a living organism? That one baffles me.

1 Like

OMG YES PLEASE! I’d love to know some of your fav recipes :hugs::heart: Stir fry is actually one of my fav! It’s fun to incorporate a little bit of everything Into stir fry, veggie wise! And yes, agreed! Seasonings make all the difference for vegetarian lifestyle!!

3 Likes

Yes pls :slight_smile: Tysm!!

OH TOM :joy: the last part made me LOL. But true! Vegans sometimes get cray when it comes to estong restrictions. I remember when I first steered trying to go vegetarian, I felt like all I could eat was air because I couldn’t get used to the fact that everything I used to eat had meat in it! Now I’m way better at finding supplements and things that satisfy my hunger but I made this thread because I’d love to have more recipes/advice from anyone who eats a vegan or vegetarian diet!

1 Like

Well in that case, I can share some good vegetarian dishes. Here’s one:

Asparagus Risotto

Servings: 4 servings

INGREDIENTS

1 pound asparagus, peeled, trimmed and cut into one-inch-long pieces, tips reserved
5 to 6 cups vegetable stock
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/3 medium red onion, diced
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice, or Carnaroli
1/2 cup dry white wine
Salt to taste
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano

DIRECTIONS

Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add half the asparagus stalks and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Rinse quickly under cold water. Put cooked asparagus in a blender or food processor and add just enough water to allow machine to puree until smooth. Set aside.

Heat the stock in a medium saucepan over low heat. Put oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a large, deep nonstick skillet over medium heat. When it is hot, add onion, stirring occasionally until soft but not yet brown, 3 to 5 minutes.

Add rice and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is glossy, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add white wine, stir, and let liquid bubble away. Add a large pinch of salt. Add warmed stock, 1/2 cup or so at a time, stirring occasionally. Each time stock has just about evaporated, add more.

After about 15 minutes, add remaining asparagus pieces and tips, continuing to add stock when necessary. In 5 minutes, begin tasting rice. You want it to be tender but with a bit of crunch; it could take as long as 25 minutes total to reach this stage. When it does, stir in 1/2 cup asparagus purée. Remove skillet from heat, add remaining butter and stir briskly. Add Parmesan and stir briskly, then taste and adjust seasoning. Risotto should be slightly soupy. Serve immediately.

NOTES

If using thin stalks of asparagus, no need to peel. Instead, cut in half and cook bottom part of stalks, puree as instructed, then strain puree through mesh strainer to remove the fibrous material. Or, put raw stalks through juicer.

Par-cooked rest of stalks separately from tips, then plunged into cold water. Add at very end of cooking risotto just to warm up.

3 Likes

Here’s another good one for cauliflower:

Cauliflower Parmesan

Cook Time: 1 hr 15 min Servings: 6 servings

INGREDIENTS

½ cup all-purpose flour
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
3 cups panko or plain unseasoned bread crumbs
Kosher salt, as needed
Black pepper, as needed
1 medium head cauliflower, trimmed and cut into 2-inch florets
Olive oil, for frying
5 cups Simple Tomato Sauce (see recipe)
1 cup finely grated Parmesan, preferably Parmigiano-Reggiano
½ pound fresh mozzarella, torn into bite-size pieces

DIRECTIONS

1. Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Place flour, eggs and panko into three wide, shallow bowls. Season each generously with salt and pepper. Dip a cauliflower piece first in flour, then eggs, then coat with panko. Repeat with remaining cauliflower.

2. Fill a large skillet with 1/2-inch oil. Place over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, fry cauliflower in batches, turning halfway through, until golden brown. Transfer fried cauliflower pieces to a paper towel-lined plate.

3. Spoon a thin layer of sauce over the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch baking pan. Sprinkle one-third of the Parmesan over sauce. Scatter half cauliflower mixture over the Parmesan and top with half the mozzarella pieces. Top with half the remaining sauce, sprinkle with another third of the Parmesan and repeat layering, ending with a final layer of sauce and Parmesan.

4. Transfer pan to oven and bake until cheese is golden and casserole is bubbling, about 40 minutes. Let cool a few minutes before serving.

NOTES

Think of cauliflower Parmesan as the winter analogue to eggplant Parmesan. This fried cauliflower is worth making all on its own, with golden, crisp florets that are impossible to stop eating. But they’re even better when given the parm treatment — baked with marinara sauce, mozzarella and grated Parmesan cheese until bubbling and browned. If you’re not a cauliflower fan, this recipe also works with broccoli.

1 Like

This is one of my own recipes for a pasta dish:

Penne with Cherry Tomatoes and Fennel

Servings: 4 servings

INGREDIENTS

800 grams dried penne pasta
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 small onions, chopped
1 yellow pepper, peeled, seeded and diced
1 bulb of fennel, tops trimmed, diced
1 tablespoon fennel seed, crushed up in a mortar and pestle
1/2 cup white wine
8-9 plum tomatoes, peeled and diced
6 cloves of garlic, minced
4 tablespoons basil pesto or a small bunch of fresh basil leaves roughly chopped.
2 cups of heirloom cherry tomatoes, each one sliced in half
Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
Salt and pepper to taste
Fennel leaves, garnish

DIRECTIONS

Put on a big pot of salted water to boil.

In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, add olive oil then chopped onions and sauté until just translucent, about 4 minutes.

Add diced fennel bulb and yellow bell pepper along with crushed fennel seed, turn up the heat to medium-high and sauté until fennel, onions and peppers start to brown a bit, about 5 minutes.

Turn heat back down to medium, stir in minced garlic and cook for another 2 minutes. In the saucepan add white wine and boil off alcohol for about 2 minutes. Meanwhile, add dried pasta to boiling water to begin cooking.

In the saucepan, stir in chopped tomatoes and simmer for about another 8 minutes until all vegetables are just cooked and softened. Season with salt and pepper.

As soon as penne pasta is just cooked (tender but with a firm bite) drain (reserve some of the water to add if sauce becomes too “tight”). Add the cherry tomatoes, basil pesto and cooked penne to sauce, then toss to coat thoroughly. Allow pasta to sit in sauce for 2 minutes while you set up warmed serving bowls.

Serve finished pasta in bowls sprinkled with bits of fennel leaves and freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano.

1 Like

Gonna try this one out tomorrow I think!!!
The asparagus risotto!

1 Like

I have so many fully plant-based, and vegetarian dishes I don’t even know where to start.

I’ve got a unique dish which is amazing, simple, and unique. One of my personal favorites.
Peanut sauce noodles. It’s a great source of protein and will totally knock your socks off.

The noodles you’re going to want to get should be thicker, I recommend Fettuccine. This is so they don’t break up and become a tangled mess when you mix it into the peanut sauce.

Boil the pasta off to the side, you’ll want to cook it fully through. This recipe calls for a full box.

In a non-stick frying pan,
Chop up about a half a cup of onions, and about half of a bell pepper. Put about a teaspoon of minced garlic in too. Put them in the pan, and cook them with some sesame seed oil. (You can use other oils, this one just makes it taste the best for most Asian dishes).

Let that fry until the onions are transparent on a high setting.

Once you’re ready, put in about 1 1/2, or 2 cups of creamy peanut butter in the frying pan. The amount is dependent on how creamy you want it to be. 1/3 a cup of soy sauce. Tablespoon of vinegar, apple cider works well. A half It teaspoon of ginger. And the teaspoon of a bit more sesame oil if you feel necessary. (If you have some fancy spices, this is optional, but I like to add Chinese five spice and a dash of sriracha to it. Not necessary, but really good. Maybe about a teaspoon of each)

You can use two tablespoons of honey or a honey alternative if you want a little bit of extra sweetness.

Mix it all together inside the frying pan at a medium high temperature, make sure you keep mixing it until the peanut butter is very soft and doesn’t take much effort to push the spatula through it. Drain your noodles, put it in the frying pan with the sauce, mix it on a lower temperature until the noodles are completely coated.

For a little extra texture and flavor, grind up some unsalted peanuts. Sometimes they come in little packages. And sprinkle those on top.

It goes really good with just about any Asian food, like a stir fry rice. Here I did something a bit different and made some stuffing and served it with some veggies.

2 Likes