Byte x Clash

Hey everyone,

I know it’s been quite some time since the last update. We have been working behind the scenes and I now want to let you know about some important steps we are taking.

First, the most important part: starting today, Byte will be run by Clash.

The market for apps that let you create and post videos from your phone has become extremely saturated. There are many competitors with similar (or better) feature sets, and far more distribution. We’ve always been closer to the indie shop, and while that does feel good in its own way, the truth is that kind of app can not turn into the Byte we’re all hoping for — unless Byte teams up with others.

Byte, like any other app, must be built upon a clear vision that leads to differentiating features and rapid improvements. After speaking with Brendon and the team and hearing about their thoughts and dreams, I am excited and fully believe that Clash is the right team to do this and take Byte into the future.

What will happen to the app?

Byte will remain available and will be run by Clash. The Clash team is talented, committed, and growing. There is no doubt in my mind they will deliver frequent updates and an overall better app. It should be an exciting time for Byte. Accounts, videos, etc. will all continue on as normal.

What will happen to the current team?

A good portion of the current team will be joining Discord to move on to new opportunities they are excited about. Some may join Clash to continue working on Byte, but that is currently an ongoing conversation.

I want to acknowledge our team, who are some of the most talented people I’ve ever met in my life, and all of whom believed in the mission and were always working their hardest to build this app for you.

What will happen to Dom?

I will remain an advisor to Brendon and the team at Clash, being helpful about Byte and the space in general wherever it makes sense. Vine and Byte are very close to my heart.

Other than that, I’ll be taking a break from starting and running a company. I have been doing it for about 9 years straight. I’m interested in seeing what kind of impact I can have doing something else. To that effect I will also be joining the team at Discord, working on something new for creators.

What will happen to the Byte Community Forum?

The forum will be winding down. Registrations are closed as of today and the forum will be closed on March 1st. As I said when we first started this project, this forum has always been an experiment, and I think now is the right time for it to end. It has been a great run.

The Clash team is coming up with a more consistent and comprehensive way to engage with the entire community, and the forum will likely be redundant once they’ve done that.

I want to thank this community. We’ve been through a lot together, and there’s no one like you. Your energy, enthusiasm, and creativity are what kept us going, and I’ll always be grateful for it. Please keep in touch and continue to take care of one another. More than anything else, so many of you have made friends along the way, and that is already such a precious thing.

Where can I learn more about the transition?

Clash has posted an update about the transition and their plans to their website. You can check that out here.

That’s it for now. This was a pretty big update and I’m looking forward to hearing your thoughts here. Thank you again, from the bottom of our hearts.

With gratitude,
Dom

66 Likes

omg wait, low-key smart LMFAOG, but this feels like its gonna be nice :weary: :raised_hand::raised_hand:

6 Likes

Wait is there any way I can archive the basement thread bc that was my life for like 4 months straight :skull:

14 Likes

HONESTLY same i need that,

4 Likes

woah

3 Likes

i like a lot of things about byte and a lot of things about clash, looking forward to see what happens :grin:

5 Likes

It’s been a great run. Thank you Dom. You’ve changed my life more than you realize.

21 Likes

hopefully, clash app has a community forum.

hopefully, my @username gets merged with my clash account.

hopefully, clash x byte continues to blooms one user, at a time in the future.

I still have my faith in bytes’ potential in the future.

12 Likes

Without this app, I wouldn’t be where I am today. You have built friendships, relationships and families with just this app. I thank you for the time you and the team put into this app and I look forward to the new changes! Thank you so much for everything!

8 Likes

Dom selling another child :pleading_face:. Thanks for the run, and providing a platform for people who didn’t feel at home elsewhere. Hoping Clash will be able to continue that trend. Also, probably for the best these forums are shut down. Better to have more people engaging and talking on the app rather than outside of it.

Onto the next chapter of Byte/Clash. Let’s see what it all brings.

Also good luck to all who are joining discord/starting new jobs/careers elsewhere. Thank you for the patience and love shown to all Byte users for the past year.

33 Likes

Thanks for the update, good luck Byte staff and Byte fam, hopefully exciting times

17 Likes

This is Epic!

1 Like

awesome. but what will happen to my byte stock?

8 Likes

This is the only sad part, this community has been an important part of my life in the last 3 years. Tomorrow will be my 3rd anniversary on here! :pensive:

12 Likes

You won’t be able to finish your Dylan Tate thread challenge, right?! :flushed::sob:

6 Likes

This sounds disheartening, but I think it’s all going to have to be a “wait and see what happens next” type of situation. Could be better in the long run. Could be another app death (f u Twitter). Let’s see what happens.

19 Likes

We can start making welcome Clash bytes yay!
Thanks @dom we had a lot of fun right! Good luck in your future endeavors :two_hearts:

9 Likes

I have SO much to say and think about… thank you for everything. Jeez, this thread threw me for a shock. I still have huge attachment to byte despite stalking these forums for over three years…

I’ll just ask one thing though for now though. Will the forums be in an archived state, or permanently taken offline? This site was the first place I’ve ever communicated online, and I really broke out of my shell in a way here. That led from one thing to another, and now I have a whole plethora of experiences, good and bad, that broke loose because of that initial choice. It just has been so significant, it can’t be understated.

I’ll just leave a post on the Anniversary thread like I knew I should have. You really don’t appreciate what you have until it’s gone - I still don’t seem to learn that. Thank you for everything, Dom and Team, and I hope you all enjoy your individual futures and are happy with your lives. I believe in your passion. Thanks for not just shutting the app down, but trying to continue it as dedication to your community. That’s so kind of you.

26 Likes

this sounds promising! however can someone explain to me what clash is, i’m very out of the loop on everything recently. best of luck dom and team, you have our hearts <3

9 Likes

Honestly Clash is a garbage app in many ways. The tech/UI is slow and clunky. The people running it are shady as hell. And it plays favorites with users or their “certified users”

One of the great things about this app was it was a place where we all kind of had a voice, where we were heard. I don’t think that is going to continue with the people at clash. Maybe I’m just being pessimistic, hopefully I’m wrong. Like @Kadenthistime said it’s a “wait and see” situation.

Thanks for your hard work @dom , I genuinely love byte and I’m sad to see you go. All my best to you and the team.

33 Likes