Byte Needs an Upgrade

Hey there fellow Byters!

So over the course of the beta testing and release, I’ve been seriously looking at the app and trying to determine how we could possibly make it better for those coming onto the app and its creators. I know I’m not a part of the dev team, and they are doing an absolutely awesome job on this app, but I’ve kind of determined a few things I want to discuss and see what you all think of these ideas.

I’m breaking this down into 3 parts: Creators, Watchers, and All Users to separate the things that would be focused on creators and things that will be focused on the watchers and for all users.

This is gonna be a LONG post, so I’m sorry, but I’m also not sorry.

CREATORS:

Analytics:

• The first idea I want to discuss is analytics for creators. On almost every social media app, there’s a section dedicated for analytics. While there is currently a form of analytics based on the stats, I feel as though it can be increased or more refined.

Analytics, in my opinion, would be great to have for creators as possibly a separate page in the statistics section on the app, or something you activate (like TikTok’s Pro Account [its free, just need to activate.]) With the possible integration of the dislike button, and future concepts like that and maybe a “not interested button,” I feel as though analytics may be an essential part of that integration. Analytics can be used to help out what creators are doing to see if the audience is enjoying the videos and help learn what the algorithm can do such as sending it to feeds, how long people are watching the video, and if the creator has gained any followers from their videos.

This is a cool idea for Analytics that @Niko made :slight_smile:

Sharing Bytes During Posting:

• Sharing is the most important thing after creating. When one creates something that they love and are proud of, there’s a massive need to share it with the world, or even with just their friends.

Sharing is important not just to creators, but to watchers who want to make a funny video with their friends and they want to share it to just them. Looking at other social media apps as inspiration, Youtube, TikTok, and Instagram (the big 3 of video currently) all have an option to share when posting. This not only can help to get views to the video, but could help with getting the name of Byte out without having to pay for marketing.

Playlists:

• Playlists have been an essential part of most social media apps for a while like YouTube. Traditional playlists have been around forever, so a change to the concept is always fun to test.

Playlists are something that I enjoy watching, and help me save videos for later. One thing that TikTok does that’s unique is there is no traditional “playlist” function, but you’re able to see TikTok’s that you’ve favorited and liked. I think something about playlists just make things easier for users to find their favorite Bytes in the future if they don’t download them or remember the user who created it. Along with that, it can help creators separate their videos into more specific things like series, their unique types of content, or just collaborations they’ve been a part of. Personally, I think it might be fun to name them something like Compilations, or something like that. Compilations could be something unique to byte and still get the idea of a playlist across. This idea would work just the same as a traditional playlist and could be publicly shared or kept private. I think if we do a combination of what Tiktok does and what the traditional concept of playlists are could be something really unique to byte and have this feature stand out.

Volume Adjustments on Byte Beats:

• Byte Beats are AWESOME, but the one thing I feel is lacking is volume control. As of current, the Byte Beat makes the audio on the video become nonexistent except for the beat itself.

Byte Beats can be used for so many things. Considering that Beats are royalty free (from what I can tell) this helps creators use royalty free music in their videos without having to pay. For creators, this can be beneficial if they’re unable to use an editing software to add their own music that they find to their videos or anything to that extent. Along with beats, it might be cool to add a few “trending” sound effects, not sounds, but the sound effects like door crash, or car crash, or bruh, etc. This whole volume section could be a game changer for the use of byte beats and byte sound effects. I know for me right now, I won’t use Byte Beats due to the fact that I can’t adjust the audio, but they all sound super cool and unique.

Transitions:

• During the days of Vine, transitions were done from outside the app, or the use of in-camera transitions (swipe, twirl, etc.)

Transitions and effects on tiktok are massive, and while it may seem cheesy to add simple transitions after the fact or fun effects after the fact, this is something that can help creators create. Byte is all about creating, and I think there should be a good option for those who are unable to do external creating (editing in other programs) from outside the application, should have an option to create inside the application. This may be heavy on the dev team, but us creators can help out in whatever is needed.

For Dom <3

@Dom DM me if you need any help with the creation of these, because I wanna do whatever I can to help make this app the best for anyone :slight_smile: I know a bit about cinematography, editing, filing, and I know a bit of basic coding.

WATCHERS:

Simple Ways to Follow:

• Following a creator you like can make the app super appealing to those who want to be entertained.

Currently, there is no easy way of following someone from the timeline (or specific feeds.) For many users, following someone should be easy. Right now it is easy, by going to the user profiles, it might be good to add an easy way of following someone from the timeline/feed. Doing this will allow users to follow creators easily without having to go to the profile of the user. For me personally, on TikTok and Youtube, I’ll follow/subscribe to someone from a singular video if it’s peaked my interest or I’ve found it entertaining. In almost every other social media app/website there is an easy way to follow the creator. On Youtube it’s the subscribe button, on TikTok it’s the “+” icon, on instagram there’s a follow button next to the username on the explore feed. I feel this could be really beneficial for growing communities, and for helping people easily find creators they like or will like due to certain videos. That’s one thing that TikTok and Youtube thrive on, so I feel it could be implemented uniquely to Byte with something simple like the current “share” button adding the option or even a symbol or badge next to the user’s name, which I think would be awesome.

Private Bytes:

• Just like the ones who like to share, there are ones who don’t like to share, but still want to feel a part of the app.

When it comes to Private Bytes, there are those who don’t want to share, but can also be used to see how a byte is going to look in its final form if they’re trying something new or are new to the app. However, I feel like there are things that could be taken advantage of such as posting a byte as private and then making it public when they’re ready at the perfect time. However, this could be beneficial as well for those to grow and release bytes if they’re made outside of the in-app camera and are unable to upload when they want to.

ALL USERS:

Light Mode:

• The second idea I want to discuss is light mode. Many people prefer light mode over dark mode, or sometimes people want that option to switch back and forth.

Light mode was something that I really enjoyed on Vine, and while most apps are focusing on their dark mode, I feel as though dark mode on vine would have looked weird. I feel the same way about Facebook’s dark mode integration. I feel as though Light Mode will make things feel a bit more inviting to those just joining the app. One thing I think we need to really focus on is what will be most inviting for new individuals who are downloading the app for the first time, but that’s another post. While dark mode might be easier to integrate in the coding process (please correct me if i’m wrong, I only know very little about coding,) light mode might be something that makes the app seem more inviting.

Custom User Profiles and Options:

• User Profiles are sometimes the thing that can make you follow someone or not follow them. I believe that the option to make things center aligned, right aligned or default (left aligned) could be a unique thing that Byte has that others don’t.

User Profiles, in my opinion, could be changed a bit with a very small bit of customization. I don’t think there should be as much customization as YouTube has, but I think it might be fun to add a small sort of uniqueness to profiles like this. Along simple alignment, it could be cool to add an option to do custom colors along with the default colors that the user profiles can already do (which are super cool!) When it comes down to user profiles, I think less is more. Too much can confuse individuals and new creators due to the amount of options.

Optional Display of Followers, Loops & Total Likes on Profile:

• Many users like to see other creator’s stats, or some sort of stats to get inspiration, or for new users, the see who are some of the best and largest creators on the app.

Take Youtube for example, you can show or hide your subscribers and total views if you want to. Many users don’t think of this as something that hinders them because most are individuals who are numbers driven, but there are also those who are not. So for Byte to succeed, we need to do what will be easiest and most appealing for new users and the masses who watch compared to those who create. I think having a toggle option for this feature will be beneficial.

Grid View/Toggle for Likes/Rebytes or Playlists

• Similar to the way in which we see the posts on our profiles currently, I think there should be an option for that with playlists, or for like/rebytes.

From what I remember on Vine, there was an option to see the user’s likes. This is one thing I really enjoyed, because it showed me new creators that my favorite creators liked. This, in my opinion, will also make the abuse of liking other people’s content to get engagement on their own videos go down. However, just like everything else on this app, the ability to turn this off should be there as well. For creators, this is important because if they want specific playlists shown on their profile to give watchers something new to watch or showcase the creator’s favorite videos it’s now possible. For watchers, this ability to show playlist, or see likes/rebytes, this can show the watchers a new creator they may not have known about otherwise. I think this could be way more beneficial to all users compared to specific creators, because not all creators will use this feature, so I think it would be good to have it as an option to show.

Conclusion:
These are my opinions as to what should be added to Byte. These are all things that I’ve thought about for a little wile, and I’ve tried to think these through as much as possible.

For me, Byte is a place of creativity and enjoyment. To assure this, we need to make sure it feels great to more than just the creators. The biggest thing we should focuses on is the watchers, and then the creators.

After doing some research, I’ve found that most applications take a year or more sometimes to blow up and become the best version of themselves. Vine is an amazing example of this. When we all fell in love with it, Vine was already past this part of the app development feature. I’m glad we are all here to grow this app, and we, as testers and creators, should do what we can to make sure this app is good for the people who are going to watch, not just for us as creators. I’m not calling anyone out, but I want to make sure that we all explicitly know and understand that. I’m not a dev, but yeah. I believe in this app, and this has a big opportunity to grow so we can’t be selfish on things. Which is an entirely different conversation about the mindset of people on the app.

Byte is good, but I feel it can become GREAT with implementations that focus on the end users who are going to invite others to join. All of the Devs are absolutely awesome. Keep doing you guys!

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I know it was long, but as you can probably tell, it was worth it. Maybe.

<3 U guys!
Anthony

Follow me on Byte @Antinnyworld

Looking forward to hearing your opinions on this, and what you have to say. Remember to keep it civil and respectful please.

20 Likes

whew! ever try writing a novel my dude lol

3 Likes

I probably should hahah

3 Likes

I love you

3 Likes

Love you too dude!!

I love all of these suggestions honestly, favorite is probably the analytics and in app transitions and effects

2 Likes

This change list is so big I had to split my screen so I can read and reply, appreciate the dedication! :laughing: I’ll put my opinion on every change you suggested and I might make my own suggestions, so prepare for a long post, so I made a Table of Contents. You can navigate it by pressing Cntrl/Command + F or find in page on mobile and search the title of the content you want to get to. :wink: :heart:

Table of Contents

Creators
Analytics
*Sharing Bytes During Posting
Playlists
Volume Adjustments on Byte Beats
Transitions

Watchers
Simple Ways to Follow
Private Bytes

All Users
Light Mode
Custom User Profiles and Options
Optional Display of Followers, Loops, and Total Likes on Profile
List/Grid View Toggle for Likes/Rebytes or Playlists

Creators
Analytics

The first idea I want to discuss is analytics for creators. On almost every social media app, there’s a section dedicated to analytics. While there is currently a form of analytics based on the stats, I feel as though it can be increased or more refined.

This idea makes me go YES! I have been asking for this feature since I first found out about Byte. @Niko made a really good mockup, so go check that out btw. Analytics work for everyone because even if you don’t understand the numbers or how it works, it is VERY useful when you don’t know what to make or what to follow up on.

Sharing bytes During Posting

Sharing is the most important thing after creating. When one creates something that they love and are proud of, there’s a massive need to share it with the world, or even with just their friends.

Another great idea, sharing content across platforms is how you get more users because it increases exposure to everyone. Unless you’re YouTube, every other social media platform allows their content to be shared across nearly any app because it increases their exposure and entices them to download the app. This is why sponsorships on YouTube work; they share their content on another platform and provide an enticing reason to check out their own platform.

Playlists

Playlists have been an essential part of most social media apps for a while like YouTube. Traditional playlists have been around forever, so a change to the concept is always fun to test.

I like the fact that it creates more opportunities to share Bytes with others. Not much to say, but I approve.

Volume Adjustments on Byte Beats

Byte Beats are AWESOME, but the one thing I feel is lacking is volume control. As of current, the Byte Beat makes the audio on the video become nonexistent except for the beat itself.

More control on Bytes is always a plus, me likey.

Transitions

During the days of Vine, transitions were done from outside the app, or the use of in-camera transitions (swipe, twirl, etc.)

This would make creating more unique Bytes easier for everyone, without leaving the app. Not everyone knows how to edit videos (feel bad for shouting this out, but I’m working on a project to fix that, check it out here), so making it easier for people to create content is always great. Plus, spoken like a true trooper.

This may be heavy on the dev team, but us creators can help out in whatever is needed.
For Dom <3

Watchers
Simple Ways to Follow

Following a creator you like can make the app super appealing to those who want to be entertained.

I think this idea is a no-brainer and can be solved by clicking on the profile name. This would bring up a menu instead of bringing you to the profile, which would have a subscribe button and potentially other mini, essential stats.

Private Bytes

Just like the ones who like to share, there are ones who don’t like to share, but still want to feel a part of the app.

Another no-brainer, everyone creates in their own way, and for some doing it privately is their way to do that.

All Users
Light Mode

The second idea I want to discuss is light mode. Many people prefer light mode over dark mode, or sometimes people want that option to switch back and forth.

While I have forever joined the Dark Side, some people (gag) actually prefer light mode/theme, so it’s a yes from me.

Custom User Profiles and Options

User Profiles are sometimes the thing that can make you follow someone or not follow them. I believe that the option to make things center-aligned, right-aligned, or default (left aligned) could be a unique thing that Byte has that others don’t.

While I am always for customization to stand-out, I don’t think different alignments would be the best idea, as it could make the app less coherent, and would make design updates 3 times harder. Plus, others would rather have extra colors or links instead.

Optional Display of Followers, Loops, and Likes on Profile

Many users like to see other creator’s stats or some sort of stats to get inspiration, or for new users, the see who are some of the best and largest creators on the app.

I agree with your ideas but for a different reason, not to say that your points aren’t good. I think it should be optional because as someone about to go to high-school, people are very like/follower driven and can cause people to be obsessed with it. They’ll be depressed when they don’t get likes or followers, and when they do get likes, they won’t be as creative and only do what worked for them. So, overall, an extremely beneficial feature that I would also want for individual Bytes.

List/Grid Toggle for Likes/Rebytes or Playlists

Similar to the way in which we see the posts on our profiles currently, I think there should be an option for that with playlists, or for like/rebytes.

Agreed. I would even go a step further and have a featured Byte on people’s profile, like pinned Tweets and YouTube channel trailers.

This is super long, but that means it comes from the bottom of your heart, so thanks for all of your dedication to suggest ideas to improve the community and Byte itself. We need more people with good ideas like you! One idea I have of my own is what I call Nibbles.

Nibble Codes
I have commented this on other lists before, but I would want to see sharable QR Code-like things for individual Bytes, playlists (if added), and profiles of course. I attend to calling this Nibbles because, in programming speak, it is a half-Byte. (it’s too perfect :laughing:) It would make sharing Bytes in the real world easier and better for people.

6 Likes

Thank you so much for this! It means a lot! :slight_smile: It really did come from my heart. I put a lot of thought into this and want the app to succeed. I’m happy you wrote what you felt about these ideas.

One thing I do wanna say about what you said on the Custom User Profiles and Options, is that yeah, it will be more difficult, however, there could be some sort of code that makes it easy to keep the alignment and colors. Yeah, I agree with the custom colors, I stated that in the original post. :slight_smile:

With the Optional Display of Followers, Loops, ad Likes on Profile yeah, I agree that it’s definitely going to have the ability to make people feel depressed about numbers, but like we both said, it would need to be optional, especially for those specific individuals. Me personally, I’m one driven by things that can help me grow, and I want to learn from things that don’t work, and not protect myself against possible hate/self-doubt because that’s going to come either way for everyone. Thanks for that! :slight_smile:

Nibble Codes is an interesting concept! QR Codes have always been something I thought was cool, but not everyone feels the need to use them. I like it though! On my business cards, I have a QR code that links to a link.tree which shows off my work. It can definitely be beneficial for sharing things from byte in the real world. Maybe if the sharing during the post is implemented, this QR code could be an option too! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Some very good suggestions. I’m particularly fond of making it easier for people to follow others, as I raised in this thread a while ago:

5 Likes

No problem mate! Happy to see the response to my reply. I think that the alignment could be a good feature if implemented correctly, but I could see confusion within the community and could be seen as a glitch for some because of the non-uniformity. As always, thanks so much for taking time with your ideas! :heart:

2 Likes

I’m glad I’m not alone on this! Yeah, I didn’t think of the point you made with it, but yeah, that can definitely be a good benefit for it too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great =D – I’m too drowsy to breakdown everything I loved the ideas; but what I’m really interested in is the lightmode idea…something similar I saw and also thought of is to have multiple color mode.

4 Likes

I like these suggestions :+1:

1 Like

Yes! All of those ideas are SO GOOD but i especially would want the light mode. Lightness gives the app more… “friendly” impression. And i just get a little anxious of the darkness :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I agree with everything you said, thanks for taking the time to write all of that.

You made some really strong points!

The 2 that feel the most important were making it faster/easier to follow people and also making it easier to share your content!

1 Like

I agree with every suggestions you mad her on this list. The part of following just from someone’s profile is not very comfortable, and it needs to be changed.
The analytics part is a great idea. It will help the creators to find their “direction” of content creation.

and just a really well explain and well made list. Good work man, I’m so happy seeing pepole that care so much and put that much of work and thinking. Thanks, and i hope the creatores will take some of your ideas :pray:t2: :pray:t2::pray:t2:

1 Like

I think they should add a button on byte that just say bruh :face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

One problem I’m seeing new people run into is that byte beats take all other sound out of the video. They can’t talk AND have the byte beat music at the same time.

3 Likes