Byte Collaborative YouTube Channel

ALRIGHT so I’ve come up with an idea that I think may be fun to try. Now as you can tell by the title, I think it would be interesting for Byte users to create a YouTube channel together.
Obviously, there would be a lot to figure out before actually starting a channel like that and the idea is a bit of a long shot. What kind of content would the channel put out? Who would be in charge of the channel and who would be making the content? Why even start a channel like that on another platform? What about creators who can’t afford good equipment for video production? These questions along with a million others should probably be considered before the idea even (hopefully) gains some traction.
I’m just spitballing. If anything I’m only trying to get the idea typed out so I can have it somewhere and work on it more. But here are my best personal answers to the questions above:
1) Regarding the type of content that would be put out, I would personally like to see different sort of playlists on the channel that cover different kinds of content. As a hypothetical viewer, I’d like to see news about the app such as upcoming updates or important announcements. This might be useful to anyone who doesn’t know much about the forums or isn’t on them as well. I think it would also be great if creators collaborated to make entertaining videos on the channel. I’m not suggesting that anyone fly anywhere to go make a video with another Byter, but I do believe the channel would give creators a chance to grow and work with others. If you have any other ideas for the kind of content a channel like this could put out, please mention them!
2) I feel the best way for a channel like this to thrive is for any passionate Byters in the Partner Program or staff to “own” and sort of maintain the account. I kind of feel like a prick for suggesting this because I’m basically saying, “Hey, big guys! I have this idea! Can you carry it out for me?” Let alone the fact that smaller creators may not receive a lot of attention this way. Still, it would probably be the most organized way for a channel like that to run. As for the creators that would actually be producing content, I feel that should be left to who actually wants to do this sort of thing as well as the people in the community itself. For starters, tag anyone (popular creator or small creator) you’d love to see participating in something like this, or anyone you think would love to be doing such a thing! The process of actually bringing people onto the channel might actually be more like it was with the Partner Program where creators sign up.
3) I think the channel could be beneficial for the app. Not only would it show people that creators are serious about this place, but it would help bring a lot of attention to what the app has to offer. And not to shit on the time limit (that’s one of the things I love about Byte) but there is just some content that cannot be captured the same way in 16 seconds. And like I said before, a news playlist might be beneficial to people who don’t participate in the forums.
4) I’ll be honest. I can’t afford decent video production equipment. Don’t get me wrong, I love it when I can leech off the equipment my school’s video class has to offer, but that’s not an option for me anymore. It never was an option for a lot of creators. I really don’t have an answer to the last question. Actually, I’m starting to regret including it and flopping around like a fish with the answer. BUT, it was going to be brought up at some point and I figured I should try to answer for the sake of transparency. I’m saving up as best I can right now to hopefully get some of my own equipment, but that’s not really a priority for a lot of creators either. I guess what I’m trying to say is that I’d love to figure out a way for helping smaller creators to invest in equipment, but I just don’t know.

Well now that my thumbs are sore, it’s time wrap this up. I’ll finish by saying that I would LOVE your feedback on an idea like this. Think this idea sucks and should be burnt to the ground? GREAT! Tell me why. Got some creators in mind that would love this or you’d like to see in a project like this? FANTASTIC! Tag them. Tell me how it could be tweaked to make it less far-fetched. Tell me what you like or don’t like about it. I’d like for something like this to be sculpted mostly by this wonderful community! I’ll try to make a byte on it tomorrow if the channel idea is received well!

(Edits are grammar and spelling.)

10 Likes

Honestly this could be really fun. I feel like videos that are fun and give people a chance to show their personality would be cool. Could even do vids with multiple people doing challenges lol. Idk I think this idea has potential!

6 Likes

Yes! Like I’d love for this to be mostly about having fun. People have plenty of fun on the app, but I think a channel would just allow for more content from the heart.

2 Likes

I was thinking about making videos on YouTube again for fun. I used to make a few but got busy. But this would be great because it could be pretty active with multiple people posting and less pressure on one person.

2 Likes

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

1 Like

I guess it would just have to be very clear what the objectives of the channel would be so people don’t get in arguments over what kind of videos there needs to be. Ideally I’d imagine it being more casual at least to start.

2 Likes

Yeah I agree. That’s kind of why I thought about having Byte staff or Partner Program creators giving it some structure, but really I just want to see people creating what they like together and expressing themselves and having fun.

1 Like

Def. down, I need to improve my time management :unamused:

I’ve noticed few creators/users has a youtube channel ;p

1 Like

You just reminded me of something: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoXXd4zlEZKQRNCDx1lJXGQ

2 Likes

I’m down :metal:

1 Like

I like this idea.
Right now, if anyone searches “byte” on YouTube, there are only like 5 relevant results. The rest are about “Computer Byte” - as in Megabyte, Kilobyte and such…lol

I would also love to see other creators’ YouTube channels along with their longer content. I feel like Byte should have an official channel, before someone else does it and makes thumbnails with captions that go “Bytes to watch before you find a girlfriend” or something along that line :scream:

1 Like

I definitely agree with this it sounds really interesting and fun. I’m imagining there could be interviews of creators and challenges. Almost like a talk show. But that would just be a series and not the entire channel. Of course compilations. I think videos would have to be a collaboration of at least two byte creators. That way the channel doesn’t just become another place for individuals to post and promote themselves. Also I think this should change categories to #youtube-vine-instagram-etc

Edit: before it looked like the topic was under #off-topic but now I see it’s under #community-happenings which is fine.

2 Likes

Hello! I mentioned the other day on a thread that I think it would be a good idea for Byters to create YouTube channels and have videos like “How to Gain Followers on the Byte App,” “How to Grow on the Byte App,” “How to get Byte Famous” (for SEO purposes only), etc. Inevitably as Byte grows, people are going to start searching these terms just as they did for Instagram, just as they did for YouTube, and just as they did for TikTok. I grew a college football YouTube channel to 1.3k subs in three months (well, three months work…I started it 2018 season, stopped it, and then picked back up for 2019 season) and probably shouldn’t have stopped doing it, but just realized the channel was not for me over time. I wasn’t getting excited about the material because college football is only going on five months of the year and no one is looking for that stuff during the offseason. Long story short, I’m going to work on my personal Byte YouTube channel as planned…but if this plan of yours ever gets put into action I’d be happy to help with SEO help (to get your videos to rank well), any kind of advice on how to manage and run the channel, and I’d be happy to create videos whenever you think my style or advice fits for it. Here is a photo for reference on the kind of views I was getting. I was proud of those views considering the size of the channel. SEO and searchable content is everything on YouTube!

1 Like

What I linked was the official channel lmao

2 Likes

I had no idea this exists lol. But yes this is kind of what I’m thinking of but it’s more aimed toward entertainment

I love this! There’s plenty of things I’d like to see on a channel like this and ideas such as interviews could be really fun, even if they are only one playlist on the channel.

1 Like

I totally agree that seeing videos about interacting with and growing a following on Byte would be interesting. I also totally appreciate the offer to help with (for lack of a better word) clout for the channel. Because in all honesty I would have very few ideas on how to actually help the channel grow and get views. That all said, I would love for the channel to be more about having fun than popularity. I guess we should aim for a healthy balance, depending upon how this idea is received by the community.

Watch this channel get like millions of subscribers and compete with top yourubers

2 Likes

Putting it together alone is a long shot but if this happened I’d cry (in a good way).

Yeah I’m definitely excited to see creators who already have channels grow in that area! I think they might find an idea like this fun as well.

1 Like