Byte captions and more accessibility features?

Okay, this is an idea I have had lately since Byte is out of beta and more people are using byte this could mean someone who can’t hear well might not have a fun time on Byte or other disabilities I am probably forgetting about. But I think

• captions that can be toggled on or off in settings
  • read aloud things for navigating settings

Or anything else that could help people who have a disability better have fun on byte and enjoy it.

9 Likes

I love this idea as my daughter is deaf. She’s not old enough for Byte yet but one day she will be. So if it’s possible to make the app more accessible it would be amazing.

3 Likes

I think for this one, the onus is on the creator. All of my Bytes since 2 weeks ago have been captioned for both creative and accessibility reasons (some Americans can’t understand my Aussie accent wtf what a struggle). This will be much easier in the future when text tools are introduced into the editor.

The only way that the app can deal with this is auto-generated captions, which tend to be good but not the best. However, this may require more processing power, which opens a whole can of worms we probably don’t want to think about such as costs and stuff.

2 Likes

I made a post in the Beta section in January about adding closed captions to Byte videos, I think it would be great not only for people with hearing difficulties, but also if you can’t understand what the person is saying or are watching with the sound off.

Final Cut Pro has the ability to embed closed captions in videos, it would be really cool if they were retained when uploaded to Byte and could be toggled on or off.

3 Likes

I think adding text over videos (team already mention they are working on it) will serve this purpose- sometimes trying to speak faster to get context into 6.5 secs video can make it hard for viewers - we always use text over videos in other platforms.

Unless they come out with close captions, text should be good - just more efforts on creators part :blush:

4 Likes

Read aloud for settings would be at the OS level for a screen reader, captions would be burned in where relevant and rely on people captioning their own videos or the community, all would need to be verified too though although not a bad idea.

1 Like

yeah thats what I was thinking was a way to toggle the caption on and off because dom did say to qualify for the creator program “not letterboxes” was on there.

2 Likes

oh these didn’t pop up as similar when I posted it. I hope this better helps get the word out though.

The Pixel 4 has a feature where it will automatically caption things if you turn that feature on. And let me tell you, the automatic captions struggle with the chaos of Byte. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Bump :notes:

1 Like