*byte bulletin #8*

Greetings from the byte office, where we are excitedly getting back on track as a team.

Thanks to the testers who participated in the last beta window. Seeing your loops brought us some much needed light and joy.

The biggest update to our roadmap since we last had a bulletin is our intention to make the next test (#3 as we were calling it) the always-on beta. We were originally planning 2 more focused tests before keeping the beta open indefinitely, but we’ve been feeling like it’s time to get to a real version of what the beta will ultimately be like, and to a place where we are regularly updating it with new features.

That will mean that when the app next reopens, the username you register will be yours to continue with (unless you change it down the line) and your bytes will carry on (unless you delete them on your own). Although we are still not quite ready to announce when the beta will reopen, we are making steady progress. (Jacob was responsible for some key pieces that we are slowly finishing up ourselves, while at the same time embarking on a hiring process and looking for new office space!). We’re looking forward to adding even more people to this version of the beta when it’s ready, and will continue to add people from the other sign-up opportunities on a rolling basis. With each improvement to the beta, the picture will become clearer and clearer, and more and more people will get to share in it.

As we’ve gotten back to work, we’ve been reconnecting with our original intentions for building this platform, learning from what worked about its predecessor. To that end, we’ve also decided to try out re-byting (name TBD), a feature that people have both loved and hated. Although it was intended as a way to help you discover new videos and creators through the people you follow, on Vine it contributed to clique-ish behavior and was easily abused. Because of that, we were pretty against the idea of introducing it within byte, but our feeling now is that we would rather improve a flawed feature than throw it out entirely. We’re going to experiment with the mechanics of the feature to preserve its intended use and to prevent the ways it can spoil the overall experience. We just want you to know that we’re thinking actively about how to improve features that have value—and that you’ve requested—and find a place for them within byte’s ecosystem.

Once we get to the next beta, we’ll also be sharing some thoughts about our creators program and the road to helping people monetize on our platform. There will be an important vote that we’ll be asking people to cast to help us understand what you’d like from us, and what your priorities are.

We’ll continue to check in with you along the way, of course.

If it’s summer where you are, hope you’re making the most of it! Thanks for everything.

*byte team

139 Likes

this is very cool, have a great summer guys!

25 Likes

Amazing to hear, enjoy your summer guys!

18 Likes

Eeeeeey LOVIN the NEW UPDATE guyss!

Keep up the good work and I cannot wait for the 3rd test! Thanks a bunch! @cami_p

Guys let’s goooooo!

#HypeToTheMax

22 Likes

This is epic. Lookin forward to the next test :ok_hand:

15 Likes

hey hey hey here we are

14 Likes

i LOVE this!

22 Likes

And yes I agree, it is a way better idea to not remove re-sharing posts.

Excited to see how you guys would implement a better version of this

17 Likes

Amazing!! Keep up the great work, we love u !!

14 Likes

Happy about the rebyte feature, flawed but so happy to see it, thanks Cami :sunglasses:

13 Likes

thanks guys. every new update about you guys feeling motivated to make this awesome app puts a smile on my face :sunglasses:

15 Likes

Thank you for this update, I really wanted to hear this!

14 Likes

Thanks for the update! Really excited for byte!

12 Likes

Thanks for the update!! Will bytes and usernames from the always-on beta carry on to the full app release?

13 Likes

Liking the idea of the re-byte feature and the always on beta, thanks for the update :sunglasses:

12 Likes

Thanks for the great update will the load on WiFi be fixed before next beta

12 Likes

I’m so happy about the update,thank you :blush:

11 Likes

This is going to be awesome! I can’t wait for all the stuff coming soon for byte, and I hope you guys can take the time to perfect each feature as much as possible.

#hypeforbye!!! thanks for the update @cami_p!

12 Likes

Wow… thank you cami and the team.

9 Likes

Time to take the hype train on max :grin:

13 Likes