**byte app beneficial redesign suggestion**

The byte app is vines successor, and currently, the byte app is going well. The only problem that I see is the design similarity to TikTok. I request @dom and the byte team redesigns the color scheme and the app layout. The main 2 problems with the design I have noticed are the feed (mix page) and the icons at the bottom of the screen to access the explore page, user profiles, activity, and the icon to start filming a byte. I feel the app would feel more iconic if the byte team changed the design to look more like the examples below. The color scheme is extremely identical to TikTok and I feel that possibly may need changing. I suggest this redesign idea because it would make the app more iconic and may be beneficial to the growth of the app. It would also make the app easier to use and would be more welcoming to new users. I suggest that there is a section at the top of the screen containing an icon to show and hide the icons to open a user’s profile etc. and a camera icon to start filming. This would also make it way easier to determine what everything does and new users may possibly be confused about the current design and are finding it difficult to understand the layout. I also suggest that there is a feed instead of a full-screen video (a for you / mix page ) as every app has that design. Having a feed like Instagram or Twitter (like vines feed) and displaying the caption underneath the byte video would make the app’s design much more unique. I suggest this as Musical.ly, TikTok, and even the new Instagram Reels have taken the full-screen video design. You would also display comments and the like button underneath the video (like Facebook and Vine) doing this would make the app feel :100: more unique, easy to use, and friendly. This simple design change would also make the app more recognizable as if it was changed it wouldn’t look like any currently trending short video apps. Pictures below.

@Ren @cami_p @dom @michael @codebynight @Maddy_lions @kaden @Niko @Super @Benf @ylukem @FaizalDawx @annam @MattFogarty

3 Likes

I would see a couple of problems with this first of all the Byte team doesn’t own any rights to anything Vine related the intellectual property is now Twitters (that’s why this project was changed to Byte from its first name V2)

Secondly ngl the UI was ok back in 2012 but it doesn’t hold up in 2020 unfortunately but that’s just my opinion cause it would just feel dated

6 Likes

Of course, a redesign would exclude anything that could possibly cause copyright issues with Twitter. I was speaking about the general layout instead of a direct copy of the design. I suggest a layout like this but an updated version that would be like vines but byte. If the app were to be redesigned in this way I’d also suggest for some features to remain and somethings to be updated.

2 Likes

it’s 2020… vision forward… byte isn’t vine anymore✂️. yes, i think there needs to be small tweaks made to ensure its simpler and/or easy to navigate. not a fan of vine replica. imo

4 Likes

like i’ve said before vines dead let it rest in peace. this is byte :)))

4 Likes

In my opinion, the main take-away from this is that the the icons should stand out more and that there should be a light theme option.

1 Like

yeah, byte is byte. I wouldn’t agree with a direct replica either, even if there wasn’t the risk of copyright issues with Twitter. Imo, I would like some similarities though.

2 Likes

If possible, it would be cool to have this as a “legacy” option :thinking:

3 Likes

yeah, and placed in a less disturbing place so people can focus more on the content they are viewing imo.

1 Like

There is but everyone keeps overlooking the video community feature that was what made Vine, Vine
(As far as i know Vine was the first app to do that)

of course, but I would like a few design changes to match. I wouldn’t like a direct copy though even if there wasn’t a copyright risk. With the app still being byte.

1 Like

Yeah, my problem is that every short video sharing entertaining app look the same. Funimate, Instagram Reels, Tiktok, and even musical.ly had the same design. I think some of the features byte had were unique.

2 Likes

yes, and i totally respect your opinion. however, idk see how this will be beneficial in the year 2020 for byte; hence, we don’t have 6.5 loops anymore, there are completely more advanced features implemented right now (the list goes on). byte is unique by design and different by design. backward :thinking:

3 Likes

no of course, 6 second videos now wont work. Some features remain in the past, but I have a feeling some features need to be re-initiated.

2 Likes

yeah that would be amazing. :pray:

1 Like

by this I didn’t mean EVERY feature. I meant things like Profile, Drop-down menu and having a more obvious and unique icon to begin filming a byte.

2 Likes

Putting the caption under the video worked on VIne because the videos were all square and didn’t cover the entire screen, that wouldn’t work with vertical HD videos, the caption and icons would be off-screen for many devices.

But there is already an interface re-design for Byte in the works, so, I’m guessing whatever changes are going to made are already set.

5 Likes

Something to keep in mind is that vine failed. So while we’re all excited to have another shot at this kind of video sharing, we can’t make byte the same as vine or it will fail as well. The only way to make the platform sustainable is to do something different.

of course it wouldn’t work, that’s why I composed this topic asking the moderators and dom for changes in the design. It would be much more welcoming for new users and Imo the design is unique.

1 Like

of course, some features of vine remain in the past. but some features could potentially be brought forward to improve the app.

1 Like