Booted from category

Feels bad man. I just posted what I think might be my best byte yet. When I was about to post and had to pick a category I got worried. I made original music for it so I could have posted in /musicmakers, but I felt like overall the byte was more focused on being artistic than being about music so I decided to post in /cinematic. It got booted into /other which is what I was worried about and now there is no way it can get into /musicmakers.
It feels pretty defeating after putting so much work in and now there really isn’t anything I can do about it. I think having moderators is an improvement especially for viewers, but only having negative moderation with no explanation or appeal created negative emotion when I was deciding where to post and then negative emotion after getting booted. The moderation has made byte better for viewing, but a little worse as a creator. I don’t want the moderation to go away, I just want it to grow.

Oh yeah, here’s the byte: https://byte.co/b/Dk57hiSHpZl

10 Likes

I love this byte so much❣️ The only reason I can think is that it is short and cinematic is more kind of like a movie scene.

You could re-upload into musicmakers. It hasn’t been up very long and I bet you could rebound the loops in no time!

6 Likes

What @allintheory said; though, I must say that it is beautifully done and further evidence on why there should be a “/loop” channel of some kind.

This also brings up a point of contention of which I’ve expressed in previous issues such as this: Byte needs to give users a notification when this type of action takes place - not only with the notification that the specific post “doesn’t fit” the channel, but also with options on where it might better be suited. In your case, had they given you the option to relocate the Byte into /musicmakers or even /vfx, it would lessen the sting you feel when you find that your post has automatically been transferred to /other.

And, like I mentioned in @kadenthistime’s post regarding his own experience in this area, just because it’s called “/other” doesn’t mean that it hurts any less than if it were put into “/trash” - which, my own sensitive sensibilities have to admit, feels as though the two are synonymous; especially when the choice is taken from the creator in determining where it will be placed.

8 Likes

Thanks dude. I do see how it is different from other /cinematic bytes. I just wasn’t expecting it to be so rigid.

3 Likes

Yeah a /loop channel would have been perfect for this byte. I’m curious if viewers would be attracted to that channel or not.
The solution you described would have been perfectly fine with me. I get it if my byte doesn’t fit. I just realized that this community has promoted constructive criticism a lot (which I also support) but then getting booted from a channel is the exact opposite.
Thank you for validating me

3 Likes

Absolutely. I abhor this idea of “moderating art”, especially if the lines for said moderation are so blurry and subjective. I, personally, solely post “funny” things, but even then I’m given pause before I connect any of my posts to the /funny channel because of this very murky territory of what “fits” and what “doesn’t”. And, for what it’s worth, I think having a “/cinematic” channel and not an accompanying “/movielike” channel is what has been the biggest issue with this particular channel; most people (present company excluded) seeing the word “cinema” and thinking “movie-like”.

The big creators on this app - and I’m talking the ones who put forth the time, the attention, the passion to making interesting, quality content; not those bozos with follower counts due to their simplistic styles and presentations - are what is helping build the foundation for the app to hopefully be able to move forward into the next generation of creators. The best way to do that is to encourage these here-and-now creators, and these ridiculous “guidelines” are the opposite of that.

The app itself touts “Creativity first” and that’s a nice idea to use as a jumping-off point when factoring in the myriad areas of content that could be created; but it’s hard to jump off from there when the creativity itself is being stifled without the ability to manage alternative options when it comes to the first choice in channel home being “not suitable”.

2 Likes

I think we’re being a little hard on the moderators. Asking them to suggest a channel after saying it doesn’t belong in one is asking for a lot, especially as the app grows. I think we as creators need to take accountability and focus on getting better at categorizing our own material. It’s easy for me as mine and my friend’s material will mostly always be comedy, but I don’t think it should be as difficult or complex as people are making it.

1 Like

I know the moderators’ job is hard and I think they’re doing a good job. I don’t want the people to change, I want the process to change. I was trying to categorize my byte as best as possible and it obviously didn’t work meaning it is more difficult than it might seem.

5 Likes

I honestly think we are kind of in a concentrated grooming period. The moderators are training themselves and training us bi-proxy. I think it feels like a shove because it’s new, but the more everyone gets in the groove the content will find where it belongs naturally. There are always bumps in the beginning but by the time byte blows up and we get more users it will be like second nature and they will follow our lead.

2 Likes

I should reiterate that mine and my friend’s channel is pretty much nothing but comedy, so I definitely feel for people who have to decipher each time where to put their stuff. For the record, this is a very nicely done Byte, btw. But yes- I would have put it in /other, too. It’s hard to explain why but that’s where I would have put it after seeing it. @m3jcnv is right to say things are subjective, but I think that’s okay, personally…because I think they’re subjectivity has been fair and accurate. Byte is trying to really push the channels aspect to give viewers exactly what they are looking for when they follow and watch a specific channel. It’s unique and a great idea on their part. I’m all for it. As a result, though, there will of course be a learning curve for the creators.

1 Like

That’s true but I also think there will always be bytes that land on the edges of a category like @Kadenthistime 's byte just because art will always be subjective.

4 Likes

Very true. I honestly feel weird posting in the animation category but after some conversations with myself and others it feels like the right fit. I still don’t know what my stuff is. I’m not even painting right now because… depression. So most of my stuff is just digital lately. It can be hard to decide.

1 Like

This is such a good byte omg. The main issue that I see here is that the current categories overlap in some ways. So, ur byte could fit (imo) in music makers, cinematic, and artistic. I feel as though the rules of the categories need to be a bit more clear and show a few examples of what is consider to be fit for the category.

8 Likes

I understand. That’s fair. I appreciate your explanation. :blue_heart:

4 Likes

Agreed art is subjective, but I think we need to respect their subjectivity more than what we are. They have a direction for the app and the channels within the app. I’m a big fan of @Kadenthistime and his material. Respectfully, though, I agreed with that particular Byte not going in the horror category. Like @allintheory said, I think things seem like shoves right now, but as we grasp a better understanding for what each channel entails, we will all be on the same channel and categorizing will get easier over time.

2 Likes

Thank you very much. If there was a /artistic channel I would have put it there because I think that’s more accurate

3 Likes

I honestly understand why my byte was removed from /cinematic and I understand why @Kadenthistime 's byte got removed from /horror. I just wish getting thrown in /other was not the end all be all.

2 Likes

I can definitely see why that is tough! Because it’s like…”well dang. That’s not where I wanted it to end up!” But I think them recategorizing it is fair, and hopefully we will all get better at knowing where each Byte should go over time. I see why people would want explanations and notifications and all of that, but if Byte blows up like we all hope it will, I just don’t see where that could be possible, you know?

1 Like

I think another question we need to ask is this: should the channels be used for categorization? Or for finding the audience the creator is trying to reach?

I understand that the Byte staff want the channels to be able to give viewers exactly what they’re looking for. But they’ll also never give them anything new. No new ideas or takes on the theme of the channel, no finding something you like that you weren’t looking for. As Uncle Iroh once said, “the only thing better than finding something you were looking for, is finding something you weren’t looking for”.

With the rigidity of the current channel moderation we run the risk of making the channels useless. If every post on them follows the same formula and has the same feel, no one will use them to find new content. If every post on a channel is too similar, then people will think, “if you’ve seen one /___ post, you’ve seen them all”.

Edit: Also, this “Removed to /other” situation could potentially be seen by creators as using negative reinforcement to train creators to mod their art to fit the channels, instead of helping the channels to fit their art. I’m sure that’s not the staff’s intention, but that’s kinda what it feels like on our end. Adding other channels and sub channels could help with this.

4 Likes

I think the issue, here, is that you and your friend have found your niche with the comedy piece, so you will always be comfortable in producing your content and putting it into /funny without fear of it being moved into /other. Don’t misread me when I say that, though: there’s nothing wrong with that confidence and that sense of comfort you have.

But I don’t think it’s “asking for a lot” for there to be options when the moderators deem a post “doesn’t fit” within the parameters of a channel’s “guidelines”. For creators wanting to branch out, there’s that sense of uncharted territory, and while it may be thrilling to go into metaphorically unknown waters, it’s still immensely uncomfortable - and to have something you spent a lot of time and heart and risk into being thrown into some miscellaneous category like /other can be incredibly deflating to the creative process. To which, as I mentioned in my previous comment, is the absolute opposite intent of the app and the avenues down which creators can take in putting their creativity out there.

And as far as subjectivity goes, there shouldn’t be any in moderating the posts put out there. To a point Kaden brought up yesterday, the moderators’ first and foremost priority in moderating should be doing away with people abusing the channels for their own numbers (spamming, in other words) and anything that can be considered abusive or harmful to the community (hate speech, as an example). It’s not unfair to ask for there to be a middle step before a post automatically gets thrown into /other; however, if it is “too much to ask”, then at the very least have the ability to move the post again and into a more nuanced channel.

5 Likes