Best language for backend

I’m talking legacy programs or APIs that can last years or even decades without upgrades… Is Java still reliable? Does anyone use PHP?

1 Like

I’ll say Java, or Python, or JavaScript or C# good for backend :hugs:

The best language is the one you feel most comfortable working in that can do a reasonable job at the thing you need it to do. As far as longevity goes, I wouldn’t really advocate for letting APIs stand for years or decades without upkeep. There are exploits found / patched every day. Node.js, Python, Ruby on Rails, or even PHP could make for great API services. Just make sure to keep an eye out for those major security updates :eyes: :heart:.

we actually have PHP5 in our company, and I feel trapped to have to use Laravel 4 as framework when there’s Laravel 5 but requires 7. But I don’t know if it’s a better alternative than CodeIgniter

I’ve also been eyeing Rails as an alternative, though that’s a radical change when everyone’s using PHP… I just feel like there’s so many bugs in PHP

Once you’re stuck with an outdated framework like that, the easiest way to really move out of it is a new app, whether that means accommodating for PHP7 / Laravel 5 or otherwise :frowning:. I was in a similar situation a few years back, and we ended up writing a new app altogether while only working on bugfixes for the older app. Eventually we switched to the new app and the old one got deprecated.

I feel you on the PHP bugs, I spent so many nights back in the day solving extremely silly PHP / Laravel bugs.

PHP :face_vomiting: I really like to use Node.js for backends. Also, you can realize some backend stuff with Firebase Cloud Functions

1 Like