Ban the alllivesmatter hashtag on byte

I was doing the all natural challenge and this popped up. I kinda blocked almost everyone under there anyways but I think the hashtag should be banned @dom

5 Likes

Also any other hashtag that supports trump should be banned to but finding all of them might be hard so idk if that’s plausible

6 Likes

If freedom of speech is a thing you’d better not ban any hashtags that support politicians or political parties or social movements (unless special cases, ie if they explicitly resort to violence or other bad means, and I mean something that can be punished by law)

15 Likes

So um anyway ban the all lives matter hashtag and the trumpies tag

1 Like

So you’re gonna sit here and defend “freedom of speech” on a term that’s used to belittle black lives matter? a (human rights issue btw) that freedom of speech is hurting an already marginalized community and you’re defending it, you’re part of the issue.

4 Likes

Also Trump is racist homophobic and sexist so I really don’t think we need hashtags that support a creature like that

2 Likes

He’s not part of the issue, keeping freedom of speech is the first step in fighting tyranny from any side. If somebody could censor the things you said that they didn’t like, regardless of the virtues you have attached to it, is that not a bad thing? Why does it merely change when it comes to these certain things that you believe in? Why are others’ beliefs inherently less than yours? What if somebody wanted to push their opinion on you, and silenced everybody else who agreed with you regardless of the truth you might bear? Should everybody who disagrees with you be silenced? Is that not inherently totalitarian? (sorry for the roughness of this reply, but freedom of speech is something I care about very deeply)

18 Likes

then we’re a part of the problem!

2 Likes

I do get that freedom of speech should be a thing. Why does it change . Easy. ALM is not about all lives matter. It’s about discrediting black lives matter when the issue comes up at any moment because some people can’t handle back people wanting to be equal. That freedom of speech might be important but the way it’s being used for on this case. ALM is hurtful to anyone that’s not actually a white cis straight person

2 Likes

No they should get educated.

1 Like

I mean i think there’s a line to be drawn between freedom of speech and hate speech and speech that is against TOS. I think #alllivesmatter is fairly clearly a movement aimed at belittling the BLM movement, which since Byte has been very public in their support of, it would make sense to me to not support that hashtag. However, I dont think banning the hashtags of political figures is ever a good idea.

17 Likes

These certain things are about people’s lives my beliefs is that everyone needs to be equal. But people who say all lives matter aren’t using it to say we’re equal they’re using it to undermine the black lives matter movement

2 Likes

Having freedom of speech is also having the possibility of belittling the BLM movement, which I don’t want to do, but I want to let people who don’t think BLM is right to tell peacefully their version

3 Likes

there are limits to freedom of speech, or at least there should be limits that are actually enforced. this use of “but it’s freedom of speech!!!” in every argument is the reason that organizations like the KKK have stayed legal under the federal government.

ALM is obviously not at the same level as the KKK, but we have to understand that hateful words or actions are not the same as simply having an opinion. ALM is not a movement of its own, it is only used as a way to silence BLM and the Black community as a whole.

3 Likes

Why should they get to tell their version we’re talking about human rights here they’re not agreeing with human rights how is someone going to disagree with that

1 Like

I care about freedom of speech too but basic human rights are not debatable

1 Like

I- someone who doesn’t think BLM is right should have the ability to tell their version. Yes. But giving their opinion on a human rights issue and converting it into a power struggle of black people want to be more than is not ok. As I said. Freedom of speech can be used in a harmful way.

2 Likes

I mean I’d argue anyone who uses that hashtag isn’t interested in being peaceful about it. They’re either ignorant to what BLM is or they’re just racist. And I don’t know if I personally see why it’s anyone’s responsibility to educate them on Byte.

8 Likes

what would be nice here is a way you could block or mute unwanted hashtags from your profile and filter them out!

4 Likes

Ok y’all, let me explain my point of view one time for all. Everyone who resorts to racial slurs, offends explicitly and pleads for violence should be charged by the law. That be said, if one disagrees with a movement or opinion whatsoever, even if that’s about human rights, then he’s not necessarily of any of the categories listed above. So in the name of the freedom of speech, I think that no one should be silenced unless they ARE of one of the categories listed above. The same goes for who supports politicians or political parties, that means that unless said politicians or political parties explicitly plead for things by which they get charged and sentenced by the law, then they can PEACEFULLY say what they want to say

2 Likes